Numbers Caching....

I wrote an article on just this subject for geocaching today. It was published there but I'm danged if I can find it there now.

On 1st September this year:

5757 registered cachers. 89 had placed caches but never found one!

Only counting the 'finders' 1184 people have found a cache at some time but have not been active in the last three months. that leaves 4484 'active cachers.

I looked in more detail.

1399 people have found only one cache. Of these 1148 did not find another in the next three months. Over 80% drop out

620 people have found 2 caches. 516 of these have not been active in last 3 months.

I went through all the stats for this and found that if you look cumulatively at people that have found 1 - 10 caches this accounts for 70% of all cachers and of that 70% only 20% are 'active'. There is a huge drop out rate until you have hit 10, once over the 10 you appear to be hooked.

I wrote an article on just this subject for geocaching today. 

I read KbootB's article a couple of days ago - and a dam' fine piece of work it is, too. Well written, lucid, informative, and interesting - and just consider how much work must have gone into the underlying analysis.

This is a significant contribution to our understanding of how the hobby is developing. As such, perhaps Geocaching Today should give it extra exposure, and some prominence on the site.

Good job, KbootB! :P