Natural Disasters

recwarrior

I've recently moved up the East Coast and it seems that every time I find a great cache to go after, Hurricane Ivan has taken it. Many of the caches don't seem to be updated since the many hurricanes that have struck. I know many of the people have better things to do than geocache when crisis strikes but it would be nice to not go after three caches in a row that have been taken by the flooding. Just checking to see if any others have been having the same problem. It would be nice to kinda have an update on the storm damage to the caches. I assume that hundreds of caches have probably been affected.

It's all about priorities, IMO. Folks who have had damage due to the recent storms are busy taking care of getting life back to normal. Checking the status of a cache is a lower on the list of priorities than getting a roofing contractor out to repair my roof. Fortunately for me at least one of my caches has been found since the storms and the person who found it made a comment in his log that the cache was in good shape.

Zack

This is a community; lets pull together and help each other :(

As stated, many cachers may have other things closer to the top of their "must do lists", so why not help them out. If you were lucky enough to have zero, or little, damage from the recent storms, then check on some of the caches that you think may have been damaged by the storms. Be sure and take things with you that will allow you to “restore” any damaged caches, such as zip locs, towels to dry out containers, maybe even some extra containers, new/dry log books. I would not worry too much about replacing swag because only a container and log book are required to constitute a cache, But I would post a note on each cache page that you “help out” stating that the swag could not be save so please bring something with you to help restock this cache.

Oh yea, do you very best to save the old/soaked log books for the cache owners. Even if they seem ruined to you, I would let the cache owner make that decision.

Let’s use this experience to pull together as a community and help each other out. Heck to me it sounds like an OWSOME opportunity for a CITO event cache to check on and repair caches. Too bad I live near Houston, and we were not soaked and blown like others from these storms.

In the state of Florida, many groups and individuals have conducted Hurricane Checks on as many caches as we could. With getting hit by 4 storms, some caches had to be checked more than once which is a real pain in the ***.

One intrepid cacher (Yuzawa Kat) came up with the idea of GEMA (sounds like FEMA) which is the Geocachers Emergency Management Agency. We've had one event - MoLaNaPa GeoEvent #2.1 - GEMA Collect & Distribute using GEMA to setup, paint and stuff caches to be given to people who have lost thier caches in the storms so that old favorites can be replaced and new hides can be hidden. We set up about 30-40 caches (fully stocked and ready to go) last weekend and we are continuing GEMA at another event this weekend.

In the state of Florida, many groups and individuals have conducted Hurricane Checks on as many caches as we could. With getting hit by 4 storms, some caches had to be checked more than once which is a real pain in the ***.

One intrepid cacher (Yuzawa Kat) came up with the idea of GEMA (sounds like FEMA) which is the Geocachers Emergency Management Agency. We've had one event - MoLaNaPa GeoEvent #2.1 - GEMA Collect & Distribute using GEMA to setup, paint and stuff caches to be given to people who have lost thier caches in the storms so that old favorites can be replaced and new hides can be hidden. We set up about 30-40 caches (fully stocked and ready to go) last weekend and we are continuing GEMA at another event this weekend.

You guys are too cool! :(

In the state of Florida, many groups and individuals have conducted Hurricane Checks on as many caches as we could.  With getting hit by 4 storms, some caches had to be checked more than once which is a real pain in the ***. 

One intrepid cacher (Yuzawa Kat) came up with the idea of GEMA (sounds like FEMA) which is the Geocachers Emergency Management Agency.  We've had one event - MoLaNaPa GeoEvent #2.1 - GEMA Collect & Distribute using GEMA to setup,  paint and stuff caches to be given to people who have lost thier caches in the storms so that old favorites can be replaced and new hides can be hidden.  We set up about 30-40 caches (fully stocked and ready to go) last weekend and we are continuing GEMA at another event this weekend.

What's up Doc, ok ok I know it is not original, but I HAD too :(

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you write for Today's cacher, but have you shared this information with Pyewacket? This would be a great story for her section.

Any who...I know you are not doing it for the kudos, but from a fellow cacher, THANK YOU :)

edited to add:

GEMA needs a logo, and will yall mind if others use this great idea?

Edited by Cherokeecacher
In the state of Florida, many groups and individuals have conducted Hurricane Checks on as many caches as we could.  With getting hit by 4 storms, some caches had to be checked more than once which is a real pain in the ***. 

One intrepid cacher (Yuzawa Kat) came up with the idea of GEMA (sounds like FEMA) which is the Geocachers Emergency Management Agency.  We've had one event - MoLaNaPa GeoEvent #2.1 - GEMA Collect & Distribute using GEMA to setup,  paint and stuff caches to be given to people who have lost thier caches in the storms so that old favorites can be replaced and new hides can be hidden.  We set up about 30-40 caches (fully stocked and ready to go) last weekend and we are continuing GEMA at another event this weekend.

What's up Doc, ok ok I know it is not original, but I HAD too :(

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you write for Today's cacher, but have you shared this information with Pyewacket? This would be a great story for her section.

Any who...I know you are not doing it for the kudos, but from a fellow cacher, THANK YOU :)

edited to add:

Pyewacket was in chat today asking if anyone has had storm damage to their caches. Drop her an e-mail if you have a story to tell about hurricane damage to your caches, in the whole path of the hurricane, not just Florida.

Doc-Dean: Thanks for pointing GEMA out - it's a cool concept. Is there anything you guys need?

Zack

Yeah, can you make the hurricanes stop!? :(

Actually it was quite an amazing site. We had about 6 picnic tables set up.

1 just empty containers

1 with drying camoflagued containers

1 with just toys and swag

1 with logs, ziplock baggies, pens and pencils and GEMA tags

1 with TBs

1 with the completed ready to go caches.

Here's a picture of just the leftover stuff that will be used at the next GEMA meeting:

8387a100-8002-498f-9712-ccd3e214cf70.jpg

By the way, I don't take credit for this idea, it was all Yuzawa Kat. She is miles ahead of me in the creativity department!

<snip>

By the way, I don't take credit for this idea, it was all Yuzawa Kat.  She is miles ahead of me in the creativity department!

KUDOS to all that helped out, and please ask Yuzawa Kat if she minds if others use the GEMA name and idea.

People, people, people... your kind words take my breath away. :P

The G.eocachers E.mergency M.anagement A.gency concept came to me as the answer to a prayer for a way to help my friends in GoofyButterfly's turf, where the Hurricane Circus Train first charged ashore with Charley, just one county north of Doc-Dean's turf. An image of a runaway train accident with no way for us to get close enough to help :D left me praying for a way to help from here, two counties north. The Lord answered me with the concept for 1-800-555-GEMA, the first GeoEvent scheduled... when the Hurricane Circus Train thought it was invited, Frances came-a gate-crashing (and lots more), so we cancelled that one. :P

However, let me take a moment to do a shout-out to :D roving2sum, free-roading GXers who left the state of Florida in their motorhome just days before Frances charged through. :D They took the time to Priority Mail 6-8 pounds of cache contents, zip lock bags, log books and pens included, for G.E.M.A. How could I NOT reschedule after that show of faith? :D

I used color-coded table clothes on the picnic tables. As people arrived, all were carrying things. We were able to say "empty cache containers on the red, chamouflaging on the green, trinkets on the orange, log books, stash notes, pens, pencils & "replacement cache" tags on the blue, potluck food on the purple." People would work at the table/station they felt most skilled at, or wanted to know more about, so it even became a GXing 101 classroom.

Doc posted the Leftover picture -- I only wish we had a picture of the over 3 dozen caches attendees took home with them that first day, last Saturday... As Doc said, G.E.M.A. will continue to attend GeoEvents, collecting and distributing to help others replace their caches. It just means more caches :) for us to chase after! Who needs to wait for a "Survivor" GeoEvent, when each and every one we attend is a "Survivor" GeoCelebration?

So now you know the beginning of the G.E.M.A. story. Please feel free to write you OWN chapter to this heart-warming GXer-to-GXer story. I would be so very honored, though it wasn't me... It was Him. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~ :)

Kathi DBA Yuzawa Kat

Edited by Yuzawa Kat
I'd like to ask permission to include your absolutely wonderful story in the article I'm writing for Today's Cacher. Your idea and giving back to the caching community is beyond generous...you're an inspiration!

Surely you flatter me too much! :P However, if you feel the G.E.M.A. story will inspire GXers to help GXers, then by all means, go for it. We're in this thing together, so let's all help ourselves out, anyway we can. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Yuzawa Kat

What's up Doc, ok ok I know it is not original, but I HAD too :P

Any who...I know you are not doing it for the kudos, but from a fellow cacher, THANK YOU :P

edited to add:

Now, about that Geocachers Emergency Management Agency logo... any suggestions as to where we could get one designed for us? I'm graphically challenged... Thanks in advance. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Yuzawa Kat

Now, about that Geocachers Emergency Management Agency logo...  any suggestions as to where we could get one designed for us?  I'm graphically challenged...  Thanks in advance.  Have a blessed day.  Happy caching ~~

Yuzawa Kat

Maybe we can get AmishHacker and his great avatar-designing friends to help us make up a logo. Two other great logo-makers come to mind: Isono Karst and Stressmaster.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by Doc-Dean

here's an idea: the four colors, four corners, one with a tornado, one with a hurricane icon, one for flood, and one for fire. I don't have any computer tools to play with it.

Or tornado and hurricane could be the one symbol and add one for earthquake/volcano

from another that was there (along with doc-dean), i'd say it was very successful and a very enjoyable time! we all hada blast, and it was important knowing that we could help our neighbors in need. thanks kat for the event!

You're welcome, April, and thanks for helping out.

Several have asked what does the G.eocachers E.mergeny M.anagement A.gency (GEMA) need. People have been very generous with containers and contents. :D Right now, however, we appear to have a serious shortage of pre-printed stash notes and writing utensils. Many have donated small pencils for the smaller caches - B) - please remember, though, pencils eventually need to be sharpened... :D Do YOU have a pencil sharpener in your GXing gear? After this experience, now I do! :) GEMA will have over 2 dozen replacement caches available at the Geo-Breakfast this Saturday. Thanks for any and all generosity. Please PM me if you'd like to send something, and we can work out any delivery details. Your GXing community appreciates it. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Yuzawa Kat

I've been meaning to add these links:

:) Thanks to Capt. Jack Sparrow of Southwest Florida, we have a logo:

http://www.woodenpear.com/images/GEMAlogo.jpg

:o And thanks to GXers like we3girlsnaguy, GEMA gives on to give and give:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...23-f2f91357e0f7

:o PyeWacket's article will help matters as well! Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Edited by Yuzawa Kat

I used my geocaching/rescue skills at the Pierce City Tornado but not to the extent you have gone here.

I am still trying to get some more things done in this area.

Can we use your Idea G.E.M.A. Here in Missouri?

I know that through my efforts at Pierce City F.E.M.A. and S.E.M.A.now uses GPSr to do alot of their work on mapping out areas,We are currently using this on our F.E.M.A. C.E.R.T. Team here and would like to INC. this idea into it as well.

A "BRAINSTORM FROM ABOVE" I Say it is,it is.

Yeah, can you make the hurricanes stop!? :laughing:

Actually it was quite an amazing site. We had about 6 picnic tables set up.

1 just empty containers

1 with drying camoflagued containers

1 with just toys and swag

1 with logs, ziplock baggies, pens and pencils and GEMA tags

1 with TBs

1 with the completed ready to go caches.

By the way, I don't take credit for this idea, it was all Yuzawa Kat. She is miles ahead of me in the creativity department!

That is SO COOL!

As someone who has now survived 4 Hurricanes.... Andrew, Charley, Frances and Jeanne ...and new to Geocaching, how would I go about helping out.

I moved to Central Florida after Hurricane Andrew crumbled my home in Homestead, then got hit with 3 in a row. :laughing:

I'm new to caching as I said, so not good at finding caches to check, but is there stuff to be donated, new containers to put together?

Anyone doing anything in Highlands County area?

As someone who has now survived 4 Hurricanes.... Andrew, Charley, Frances and Jeanne ...and new to Geocaching, how would I go about helping out.

I moved to Central Florida after Hurricane Andrew crumbled my home in Homestead, then got hit with 3 in a row. :laughing:

I'm new to caching as I said, so not good at finding caches to check, but is there stuff to be donated, new containers to put together?

Anyone doing anything in Highlands County area?

Hi Skyarcher!

You may want to check out Florida Caching's Website to find out more information about G.E.M.A. and to meet other local geocachers.

Welcome to the addiction! :rolleyes:

Abso-darn-LOOT-ly, GeoTrailblazer 1, ANYone can use the GEMA concept to help their fellow GXers (and themSELVES) to bring up more opportunities to garner future smilies :laughing: (both real and logged) :rolleyes: .

Check out MoLaNaPa GeoEvent #2.1 - GEMA Collect & Distribute, where we used color-coded tables to direct people bringing donations (containers on the red table, trinkets on the purple table, camouflaging on the green table, log books and pens on the blue table, etc., etc., etc.) :rolleyes: More than three dozen replacement caches went home with the attendees that day, and we've distributed more replacement caches and collected more donations at another GeoEvents since then.

I recently shared another neat idea for distribution of replacement caches, which We3girlsnaguy has generously agreed to share, Mother Lode - Momma is Pregnant!. You'll be seeing one like this cropping up in my turf someday soon.

When I thanked PyeWacket for her well-written article, I also thanked her for spreading the Word of loving and giving. May my one inspired drop in the GXing ocean spread ripples throughout our entire GXing community in ways only our imagination will be able to fathom. As you said, "A 'BRAINSTORM FROM ABOVE' I Say it is,it is. "

Amen, brother. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Thankyou very much,I did check it all out."AWESOME"

What are you in need of still,I seen pencils,and small tags.

Do you still need anything.

Where would we send a G.E.M.A. Care package?

I am on this like a junebug on a ear of corn...Thanks again.

FYI.

I am a member of the Local Emergency Planning Committee here and you will soon see G.E.M.A.-@F.E.M.A. and S.E.M.A.

This really fits in with the Strategic plan we have been working on here.

From "Our" house to the Whitehouse.

Do not know if you are interested and for anyone who is, your volunteer hours can earn you Presidential Awards.

see:USA FREEDOM CORPS

Go to the Volunteers page and create a record of service.

Please read this.

Local Volunteers

Thankyou very much,I did check it all out."AWESOME"

What are you in need of still,I seen pencils,and small tags.

Do you still need anything.

Where would we send a G.E.M.A. Care package?

I am on this like a junebug on a ear of corn...Thanks again.

Thanks, GEO*Trailblazer 1, for your interest in helping out with a GEMA Care Package. :D I've been debating as to what contact information to release, especially since some of our "Hurricane Survival GeoEvents" aren't even scheduled until early next year. :) Right now, a few FL county and city parks/trails are just now opening again.

Since there are already several (probably more than I'll ever find out about!) GXers taking the GEMA ball and running with it, I think the best thing to do is copy a common bumper sticker: "Think Globally; Act Locally." You've already done that in some ways, I know. Keep up the good work!

Thanks again for your interest. Have a blessed day. Happy caching ~~

Edited by Yuzawa Kat