Topics Being Closed?

lostinjersey

I've seen several threads that have been closed, some of them quickly after establishment I might add, and seemingly for no reason. If a thread has degeneratred into attacks for example I could see it being closed. Or if it really was off-topic to begin with, maybe. But I can;t fathom why some topcis are being closed, and it seems as if its happening more lately.

So I'm curious. Is it just me? Does anyone else see this as occuring more often lately? And does anybody else think that maybe theres a bit of haste involved? And are there any specific guidlelines for the moderators to follow?

Not trying to start anything, nor am I offering the whiners and complainers a place to kvetch about the moderators. I am just curious what the guidelines are, and why some threads seem to be shut down quickly when they are rather standard fair stuff, and no reason for being shut down.

I've seen several threads that have been closed, some of them quickly after establishment I might add, and seemingly for no reason. If a thread has degeneratred into attacks for example I could see it being closed. Or if it really was off-topic to begin with, maybe. But I can;t fathom why some topcis are being closed, and it seems as if its happening more lately.

So I'm curious. Is it just me? Does anyone else see this as occuring more often lately? And does anybody else think that maybe theres a bit of haste involved? And are there any specific guidlelines for the moderators to follow?

Not trying to start anything, nor am I offering the whiners and complainers a place to kvetch about the moderators. I am just curious what the guidelines are, and why some threads seem to be shut down quickly when they are rather standard fair stuff, and no reason for being shut down.

"Not trying to start anything, nor am I offering the whiners and complainers a place to kvetch about the moderators."

try or not you are!

1. The guidelines we follow are those which are posted at the "Read the Forum Guidelines" link at the top left of the forum. We quote from the Guidelines frequently when closing topics.

2. Check those locked threads. If they don't end with a post from a moderator stating the reason why the thread was locked, then odds are it was locked by the topic originator.

3. If the topic *was* locked by a moderator, the reason is as stated in the closing post.

For example, I've just looked at the first page of topics here in the Northeast forum. Since you posted this topic in the Northeast forum, I assume that is the moderating behavior you're questioning. A grand total of one thread has been closed by a moderator. Some people were asking how to order Pennsylvania geocoins. A thread was then started by the person who is responsible for that. I closed the earlier thread and pointed everyone to the new one.

What did I do wrong?

I've now reviewed page two of the Northeast forum index. On that page, I closed a thread about geocaching being featured on CNN. As I explained when I closed it, this duplicated an existing thread in the general forum.

I also closed two topics that had descended into personal attacks. The reasons were stated in my closing post. Should I have left those open? Was I too hasty? Actually, the topic originator of one of those threads wrote and thanked me for putting the topic out of its misery.

I'm puzzled. Why no answer, GWho? Please clarify your questions and provide specific examples. This would help me to do a better job.

I'm puzzled. Why no answer, GWho?

uhh... 3 responses in 11 minutes?

I do believe you've confused me with avroair or Briansnat who pay rent to live here. :( I was watching F9/11 then the VP debates. didn't check back till this AM.

as for my answer, I think you hit on it in your first response. I had wanted to mention (and forgot to do it) that some were locked without explanation (all of the examples actually). ergo, they probably were locked by the owners. my apologies for suggesting it was moderators. I honestly didnt know that (or if I ever did, I lost that info like Kelly Bundy forgot what the doorbell was when cramming for a test)

how does one do that anyway?

Apology accepted. Once again, I assure everyone that I have never closed a topic in the Northeast forum without a closing explanation, citing the reason under the Forum Guidelines. This will continue to be my practice.

For topic originators who wish to close their topic, open your topic and look way down in the bottom left corner. You will see a box that says "Moderation Options." When you click on it you will see the "Close Topic" option. Select that, and then confirm the choice. The topic will then be locked.

It is suggested that, as a courtesy and to avoid confusion, topic originators include a statement in their closing post, saying that they are locking the discussion. As a matter of forum etiquette, I would also observe that "parting shots" are generally frowned upon. Do not say "Keystone is a jerk, and has no friends" and then close the topic. (Instead, say "Keystone is a jerk, and has no friends" and leave the topic open so that others may agree with you.)