Jump to content

Video: What is Geocaching?


rblanda
Followers 0

Recommended Posts

Good job on video, really fancy.

Hats off to all involved.

I will email link to some friends and family.

 

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

Link to comment

That is fantastic.

 

One concern. There is one scene were the subjects are on a rail line. Though the one they were actually on may be deserted or even a linear park, I hate for some of our lesser thinking participants think it's okay to walk on train tracks.

 

A little story. We were on a trail that crossed active tracks and when we got to the tracks a train was coming. It was hard to miss with how loud the whistle was, but someone with his Walkman turned up might miss it. I had never been right next to a train as it went by, but I was very impressed with a raw power and engery represented in those hundreds of tons. It moves an impressive amount of air and the ground trembles. I think there is a reason the rail companies have strick policies against trepassing.

 

Just a thought.

 

CR

 

72057_2000.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

That is fantastic.

 

One concern. There is one scene were the subjects are on a rail line. Though the one they were actually on may be deserted or even a linear park, I hate for some of our lesser thinking participants think it's okay to walk on train tracks.

 

A little story. We were on a trail that crossed active tracks and when we got to the tracks a train was coming. It was hard to miss with how loud the whistle was, but someone with his Walkman turned up might miss it. I had never been right next to a train as it went by, but I was very impressed with a raw power and engery represented in those hundreds of tons. It moves an impressive amount of air and the ground trembles. I think there is a reason the rail companies have strick policies against trepassing.

 

Just a thought.

 

CR

 

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif


 

It takes three miles to stop a train going 25 miles per hour.

 

Cache you later,

Planet

 

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

Link to comment

It's nice that that an experienced geocacher finally made an instructional video, but it might be nice to make it available in a more open format? Not everyone uses the newest Micro$oft stuff out there, or even any M$ stuff at all. Might be nice to have it in a format everyone can view instead of *.wmv?

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to comment

I chose to use windows media player, for several reasons:

 

Quicktime requires a plugin across PC platforms.

Realplayer filesizes are too large, and its newest version is SPYWARE.

MPG works across the board, but you didnt want to download a 80 mg file, right?

 

... it was the best choice. I'll offer the new video in more formats. but for a quick draft, this was the smartest choice.

 

Robert Blanda

Multimedia Producer

http://www.eblanda.com

Founder, Pine Barrens Enthusiasts

http://www.thePineBarrens.com

Link to comment

Thanks for all of your input regarding the codec I used. I'll be placing several formats out there. I've been a multimedia producer for about 6 years now, and pretty well versed in all the codecs.

 

If any of you want a specific version, please email me, rather than going off topic and talking about codecs in this forum.

 

Thanks

 

Robert Blanda

Multimedia Producer

http://www.eblanda.com

Founder, Pine Barrens Enthusiasts

http://www.thePineBarrens.com

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Blanda:

We're already working on a better one with Groundspeak, inc.


 

We don't have any agreements to produce a video with this company. I did indicate a desire to talk to these folks but it would be extremely premature to say the above.

 

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Clements Cacher:

Put it back up pls! or tell us why it is down.

Clements Cacher


excess bandwidth. A big file like that downloaded by so many interested cachers could bring a small server to it's knees, or run over its allocated bandwidth in no time.

Concern about the scenes showing a child walking down RR tracks. Even though I believe in this case the tracks are long abandoned, theres no way of knowing that from the video.

Copyright issues. If I remember right, the voice-over on the video was taken directly word for word from geocaching.com webpages.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by GPS Jeff and Fastball:

I was able to view it from the original link.

 

http://www.thepinebarrens.com/video/what_is_geocaching.wmv

 

I got it there too. I can see where Jeremy might be upset (if he is) about this. Alot of the wording was word for word from various places on this site. And of course it used his site in the video.

 

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Link to comment

There are a few reasons that you covered as to why I took the video down. I have no intentions on making money off it, so if Jeremy says it's okay, and someone wants to volunteer to put it on their server, I'd be glad to resurface the video.

 

I was protecting the site, and its logo. I wholehartedly support geocaching.com and would never do anything to hurt it in any way.

 

Please feel free to email me. I have the video.

 

icon_cool.gif

 

Robert Blanda

Founder, Pine Barrens Enthusiasts

http://www.thePineBarrens.com

Link to comment

First, the railroad that you saw was the old Hampton line in the Pine Barrens of NJ, long abandoned in 1954. I would never take my 2 year-old on live rails. Needless to say he had a great time.

 

Second, I would really like to organize a video for new geocachers from experienced geocachers. Of course, I wouldn't abuse priveleges of logos, websites and voiceover scripts. Instead, someone could write the script, and some of you could send me videotape. I'd be glad to put something together, pro-bono of course, for the benefit of new and experienced geocachers. I not only produce videos for a living, but for fun as well. I can't think of better subject matter for fun than geocaching. Can you?

 

All of this, of course will depend on Jeremy's response. I'd be glad to plop it all together.

 

Robert Blanda

Founder, Pine Barrens Enthusiasts

http://www.thePineBarrens.com

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Blanda:

There are a few reasons that you covered as to why I took the video down. I have no intentions on making money off it, so if Jeremy says it's okay, and someone wants to volunteer to put it on their server, I'd be glad to resurface the video.

 

I was protecting the site, and its logo. I wholehartedly support geocaching.com and would never do anything to hurt it in any way.

 

Please feel free to email me. I have the video.

 

icon_cool.gif

 

Robert Blanda

Founder, Pine Barrens Enthusiasts

http://www.thePineBarrens.com


Kinda figured it was one or more of those reasons. It's not a bad video, outside of the RR track thing. Of course, the voice over and the background music brought back fond memories of classroom films back in the 70's, LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Blanda:

First, the railroad that you saw was the old Hampton line in the Pine Barrens of NJ, long abandoned in 1954. I would never take my 2 year-old on live rails. Needless to say he had a great time.


I think the locals knew that that railroad was long abandoned, but it really wasn't apparent to general viewers. I know I was a little concerned how it appeared, but I knew it was abandoned. The fact that several others mentioned it confirmed my concerns. The video itself was put together well, and can't wait to see the new one when it's done.

 

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Link to comment

'Tis indeed a true shame that this mystical video is not shown anymore. Would have been a good jumpstart to my geocaching aspirations no doubt...As soon as I save up enough money for that cute looking meridian SE Canada kit which appear to be in the process of being replaced by the gold version by mid-march...and maybe for winter to finish too.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...