Mobil Cb Units,

rusty_tlc
Followers 2

I'm looking to add a CB to 'Ol Rusty. We get out of cell service areas pretty often and I'd like to have a back up communication system. Space is a big factor, I'd like a small unit since the cab is pretty crowded as is. I looked at the Radio ShackTRC-503. A nice small unit. Any thoughts? At $50 it seems to inexpensive to perform well.

Two thoughts:

1. For $12, and about 4-5 hours worth of studying (high school physics and basic rules) you could get a Technician class license for HAM radio.

2. With that license, you could get a HAM radio on the 2 meter band, with $35 mile range and repeater access, thus much better coverage.

CB radio is either dead air or full of strange people cursing each other. If you are truly set on a CB, look for HAM radio auctions or HAMfests in your area, CB's are the very definition of cheap there. At an auction in Lincoln 2 weeks ago, a box of CB's all in working order, went for $5 (3 units, with mics, etc) and antennas went for under $5.)

Two thoughts:

1. For $12, and about 4-5 hours worth of studying (high school physics and basic rules) you could get a Technician class license for HAM radio.

2. With that license, you could get a HAM radio on the 2 meter band, with $35 mile range and repeater access, thus much better coverage.

CB radio is either dead air or full of strange people cursing each other. If you are truly set on a CB, look for HAM radio auctions or HAMfests in your area, CB's are the very definition of cheap there. At an auction in Lincoln 2 weeks ago, a box of CB's all in working order, went for $5 (3 units, with mics, etc) and antennas went for under $5.)

I'm also considering 2M. I am interested in CB since I see a lot of other 4Wheeler's and ATV's with CB's. So, in an emergency, the chance of contacting somebody close by would be higher.

Don't the strange people cursing each other pretty much stay on the interstate and stick to CH19. ;)

I'm also considering 2M. I am interested in CB since I see a lot of other 4Wheeler's and ATV's with CB's. So, in an emergency, the chance of contacting somebody close by would be higher.

Don't the strange people cursing each other pretty much stay on the interstate and stick to CH19. ;)

In an emergency you would more likely to find someone that would help on 2m by far.

FYI: Channel 19 is the unofficial road info/trouble channel. Channel 9 is the emergency channel, but nothing on CB is official by any stretch of the imagination.

I have a CB in my GeoTruck and I do some 4 wheeling way back in the hills. To talk to other people in our group we use CB, but many times we have to change channels to find a clear station that isn't being overrun with dirty mouthed truckers. Out here in SoCal we get alot of 11m (CB) skip in the afternoon.

2m > CB as far as getting help goes.

I'm also considering 2M. I am interested in CB since I see a lot of other 4Wheeler's and ATV's with CB's. So, in an emergency,  the chance of contacting somebody close by would be higher.

Don't  the strange people cursing each other pretty much stay on the interstate and stick to CH19.  ;)

In an emergency you would more likely to find someone that would help on 2m by far.

FYI: Channel 19 is the unofficial road info/trouble channel. Channel 9 is the emergency channel, but nothing on CB is official by any stretch of the imagination.

I have a CB in my GeoTruck and I do some 4 wheeling way back in the hills. To talk to other people in our group we use CB, but many times we have to change channels to find a clear station that isn't being overrun with dirty mouthed truckers. Out here in SoCal we get alot of 11m (CB) skip in the afternoon.

2m > CB as far as getting help goes.

The people I wheel with use CB's. Being in the loop with them would be another plus for CB. In the remote mountains where we wheel skip shouldn't be a problem.

2M does sound attractive because of the distance it tx/rx, are there units that cover both bands?

There aren't units that do both 2M and CB, but the CB units are not very expensive and can be found at HAM auctions as above and on Ebay. A 2 meter HT at 5 watts can get to a lot of repeaters and can be found on Ebay or one of the HAM sites. I have a CB hand held and used it some for CB, though mostly for the weather bands that came with it (until I got the extended receive function on my mobile radio).

Look for the weather bands on either. On CB, they are usually advertised as such and on HAM, they are often referred to as either weatherband or "extended reception". This function is really neat if you are planning a trip into the tulies, you can be on the NOAA station for your area and get right to the minute forecasts.

AAFES has this on sale:

Cobra (75 WXST) Compact / Remote Mount CB Radio

Price Was...$129.00 Price Now...$95.90

Save 25% off of original price!

Cuts noise coming in, strengthens signals going out! Patented SoundTracker technology dramatically improves the transmission and reception of the CB radio signals. The result is a cleaner, clearer sounding CB with more ''powerful'' transmissions and less static or noise on reception.

MODEL: 75 WXST

Remote installation box installs out of sight, under your dash and quick disconnect allows removal of the handpiece for security or use in other vehicles

1-button access to Emergency Channel 9

7 NOAA and 3 international weather channels

40 CB channels

Dual watch function allows simultaneous monitoring of any 2 pre-selected channels

Full channels scan allows you to scan all 40 channels

Full-featured LCD

4 memory channels

Key lock

Quick disconnect

5 digit frequency counter

External speaker jack

Signal strength and power output meter

Contoured ergonomic design

Power: 12V

Size: 4¼''H x 2¾''W x 2''D

FREE SHIPPING on all orders purchased with your Military Star Card or orders totaling $49 or more. Non-Military Star Card purchases valued less than $49 will incur a $4.95 shipping fee. Shipping/handling fees may be applied to oversized items.

For faster delivery, check box for priority mail.

MODEL:  75 WXST

Do you have any first hand experience with these? I was talking to a friend about them Tue night his Father in-law has one. According to my friend whenever you pick the thing up you hit some unwanted button or knob owing to the compact size.

I've decided to get a cheap $40 or $50 CB and save up for a really good 2M unit. I'll probably go with Radio Shack since they seem willing to take anything back at any time as long as you have a reciept. Plus the Manager of the store by my house is into rockcrawling and seemed interested in geocaching when I bought my Magellan.

I've been using a couple different models of Uniden CBs. They are the $40-$50 models. They all work fine. One has wx band, too.

My vehicles all have CB and 2m/440 radios. CB is good for travelling as you can communicate with non-ham friends in your group - and get basic road reports from the truckers sometimes.

Ham is great for getting REAL help, but only if you do the up-front work and locate repeaters in the areas you'll be travelling through. On most any 2m repeater you can probably get driving directions, restaurant recommendations, whatever you want from the locals.

-K6RIO

I've been using a couple different models of Uniden CBs. They are the $40-$50 models. They all work fine. One has wx band, too.

My vehicles all have CB and 2m/440 radios. CB is good for travelling as you can communicate with non-ham friends in your group - and get basic road reports from the truckers sometimes.

Ham is great for getting REAL help, but only if you do the up-front work and locate repeaters in the areas you'll be travelling through. On most any 2m repeater you can probably get driving directions, restaurant recommendations, whatever you want from the locals.

-K6RIO

Same here for my GeoTruck.

12yr old Radio Shack CB and a Kenwood TM-731a modded for extended coverage including FMRS freq's

I'd suggest just trying for your Tech license. You'll get a lot better range using 2 meters.

If you insist on a CB though, they are all pretty much the same. The easiest way to go is buying from a yard sale. I've seen LOTS of CB's at yard sales for $5 or less.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I have been into CB radio since 1968(privately and commercially) and into Ham radio(hobby only) since 2000. Both CB and Ham radio have their advantages over each other. You'll find a lot of fools, with fouls mouths on CB and a lot of gentlemen on Ham radio. Perhaps the latter is true because it's a licensed form of communications and requires greater skills than the average ordinary CBer. Respect and courtesy are two very important things to consider when on a Ham radio, not to mention lots of rules & regulations

If you are able to pass the test, after a minor amount of studying, to include rules & regulations and other technical stuff, then getting a 2 Meter(144.000-148.000Mhz) rig is your best bet, especially if it has Single Sideband(SSB) capabilities. I always have my 2 Meter rig with me when I'm in the field geocaching, along with my FRS. The CB stays in the truck. I could easily talk to anywhere in King, Kitsap, Mason and Pierce Counties, just by selecting the frequency of a repeator of the are in which I want to talk, conceivably 50 miles or more away.

Having a CB radio that has SSB is also your best bet. SSB allows you to talk to others a lot farther away than ordinary AM/CB or FM/2M. Radios that have SSB cost more, but the increased cost is well worth it when you want to talk at greater distances than AM(Amplitude Modulation) or FM(Frequency Modulation).

Keep in mind that the radio you use, whether it be CB or Ham, is no better than the antenna connected to it. For CB radio, those cheapy little ones are okay, but they don't work as well as a good old fashion 102 Inch Steel Whip, K40 or Wilson 1000. As for 2 Meter Ham radio, get a center or base loaded whip, not one of those 19 Inch long 1/4 wave types.

Fledermaus

AKA: KD7KRH/Ray

Electronic Technician, Retired

In addition to the benifits previously listed, consider the following benifits of HAM Radio:

1: Autopatch. Using a repeater, you can make a telephone call. invaluable in an emergency.

2. Range. yes, this has been addressed but bears repeating. 2M communications are limited to 1500 watts (not likely with an HT but possible with the proper equipment) where CB(11M) is limited to 4 watts. I have a 50 watt 2M mobile in my cachemobile & regularly communicate with a repeater 50+ miles away. Not likely with a CB.

3. Proffesionalism. You MIGHT get lucky on CB, but I haven't met (or communicated) with a HAM that won't help in an emergency. As a matter of fact, helping in an emergency is one of the reasons the hobby hasn't been outlawed (by taking our frequencies) by the FCC.

As you have no doubt guessed by my screenname, I'm a HAM. I used to use 11M (CB) but got fed up with all the crap I heard. Now, my HT goes with me on every geocache for one reason: reliable communications in the event of an emergency.

I will add to the above and agree that CB is very limited (as well as inefficient) in many ways. Why off-roaders do not use FRS (which is a really cheap investment) is beyond me. The FRS radios use FM (much clearer audio), and there are more uses for the radios when away from the trails.

The best bet is to get at least a Technician Class license and join the fun of Amateur Radio. Dual band (146/450-mHz) radios are availabel at reasonable prices and they range/clarity of the signals, even without a repeater) is better. If you go off-road as part of a club, a hreat project would be to get all of the member into ham radio, then use a UHF or VHF frequency to communicate. Antennas are shorter, but more efficient (and do not hit the trees as much), and overall range can be truly amazing.

Really great replies. The 4X club president uses 2M but everybody else is pretty much stuck on CB. I bought a radio shack trc503 ($45) and a firestick antenne ($40) to stay in touch with those guys. I agree FRS would be a better option for trail runs, half the time you want to talk to somebody they are outside thier rig watching the action or looking at a problem.

I always carry a pair of FSR units, on occasion I have been known to take a hike off trail to look for an ammo box during a trail run :blink: . FSR keeps me in touch with my ride.

Be careful of relying too much on FRS. Even with GMRS, hills can kill your range.

I was part of a bike race net where the organizers tried to use FRS to talk to each other at various places.

If it wasn't the car blocking their signal, it was the hills we were in. The range stated for these is "line of sight" and they mean a straight line as if over a lake or ocean.

Be careful of relying too much on FRS.  Even with GMRS, hills can kill your range.

I was part of a bike race net where the organizers tried to use FRS to talk to each other at various places.

If it wasn't the car blocking their signal, it was the hills we were in.    The range stated for these is "line of sight" and they mean a straight line as if over a lake or ocean.

Very true, we caravaned from Mt Rushmore to Indiana with relatives. The FSR's worked great as long as we were in flat terrian. I've used them caching when Mrs Rusty looks at one of those steep climbs from the road to the cache and begs off on the actual find. Still as you say line of sight means actually seeing the other radio. I did buy the Cobras with a higher output, I don't remember the wattage, 10 mile range sounds right. In practice I use them at .25 to .5 mile range. They work much better than the Motorola walkabouts.

Edited by rusty_tlc

A few years back I picked up two Motorola Talkabout Distance DPS radios cheap on closeout. They are two watt, seven channel FRS/GMRS units. What made them unique is the ability to unscrew the antenna and add an outboard one. Motorola makes an antenna kit for another of their radios, the Spirit, that sells for about $30. On one hike we were waiting at the trailhead for the rest of the group to come down for their beer, and tried to call on the radios but they were too far and behind too much terrain. I threw the mag mount antenna on the roof of the truck and got them loud and clear. (Combination of the antenna and ground plane I guess)

My point is to check Ebay for a Motorola Talkabout Distance DPS if you want a good carpooling radio, then if you get one contact Motorola for an antenna kit. The alternative is a dedicated GMRS unit which is as expensive as a good two meter unit. Then only advantage to GMRS is that once you get your license, the whole family is covered.

W7CLC (HAM)

WPZU728 (GMRS)

Well I got my cheapie $45 Radio shack CB installed and tried it out this weekend. It actually works better than some of the more expensive radios guys I was with had. Could be I spent more, $40, on my antenna. They all have pretty inexpensive antennas.

In any kind of radio work, a good antenna and a good ground between the transceiver, radio and vehicle make all the difference in the world.

Did you do the install yourself, Rusty?

Well I got my cheapie $45 Radio shack CB installed and tried it out this weekend. It actually works better than some of the more expensive radios guys I was with had. Could be I spent more, $40, on my antenna. They all have pretty inexpensive antennas.

In any kind of radio work, a good antenna and a good ground between the transceiver, radio and vehicle make all the difference in the world.

Yeah. Right now it's a temporary install. I had to cut the front part of my roll cage out to install my soft top. When I get that back in, the right way this time, I'll hang the radio between the spreaders. I plan to add a rack for CB, 2M, and AM/FM stereo. I'll run a 12V connection into a new fuse box in the rack, and a dedicated ground to the frame.

With a fuse box right there I can pull 12V off for stuff like an interior light and a couple of fans.

Yeah. Right now it's a temporary install. I had to cut the front part of my roll cage out to install my soft top. When I get that back in, the right way this time, I'll hang the radio between the spreaders. I plan to add a rack for CB, 2M, and AM/FM stereo. I'll run a 12V connection into a new fuse box in the rack, and a dedicated ground to the frame.

With a fuse box right there I can pull 12V off for stuff like an interior light and a couple of fans.

Please post some pics of the final install. Sounds cool.

The antenna makes the radio system! You could spend hundreds of dollars on a radio and little on the antenna. Your still going to have a poor radio system. This holds true for ALL radio services. Take the time to install a good antenna correctly. After your antenna is installed correctly, it shouldn't matter what radio is connected it will work. You shouldn't see much of a difference between a $5 yard sale special and a brand new $1,000 rig as far as range is concerned (all specs being equal).

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

The best way to ge power to your radio would be to run you + and - leads right from the battery. As far as the antenna, when I had a CB on my car, many many years ago I used a full size whip.

I was wondering about filtering on the supply. Won't the noise suppression plugs and wires take care of that?

I wouldn't worry too much about noise coming in on the power leads. If it does happen, you can get a noise suppression kit afterwards. Most every CB I've worked on had some line filtering built in. Noise on power leads is caused by high-current accessories in the vehicle, such as electric fans and rear-window defoggers. Placing the power leads directly to the battery and making sure this connection is good and clean (and the battery in good condition) is going to get rid of 90%+ of any line noise. As for noise coming in on the antenna, this is a different story. The biggest culprit here is HEI ignitions systems. The best ways I've found to limit this problem is to place the antenna as far from the engine as is practically possible. Also, make sure your ignition wires are in good shape and if necessary install an additional ground between your hood and the chassis of the vehicle with a good thick braided cable. CB radios with Noise Blankers (not Noise Limiters) are the best at rejecting this impulse type noise.

Use a decent antenna with properly sheilded coaxial cable. Cheap antennas usually have cheap cable and even if you can net a good VSWR they'll not work as well as others. The K-40 and Wilson antennas seem to be pretty good.

Cheers!

C-A

Find an old Grant and learn about it. Amazing things can be done with a Grant.

I'll drink to that!

The Grant has the same innards as the Washington, Realistic TRC-449,457,458 and probably a few other radios too! The PLL synthesizer in that rig can be made to go pretty much anywhere, it had a speech compressor built-in and in my opinion, it was one of the best SSB radios made partially because it was only single-conversion on SSB.

Ah, the memories....

:-)

Finally got to reading on this forum, and a lot of great info. I've been a ham since 1993, recently got into Geocaching thanks to another ham friend. I always have my dual band mobile, along with a pair of FRS radios. Used to do CB radio but as a lot of others have said on here, too much garbage on there. However, it is still pretty reliable if thats all your group uses. Rusty, theres a couple of folks here in Reno that give Ham Radio exams as well. If ya need any help with finding where they are testing let me know and I can put you in touch with someone. Theres lot of 2m and 440mhz repeaters around here that provide awesome coverage in a lot of the area's in and out of town. Anyhow, just my 2 cents, hope everyone had a wonderful turkey day and happy holidays.

Jeremy Clark

KB7RZF

As a Amateur "Ham" Radio Operator, I'd tend to think Ham radio would be a better way to go. You could even get your buddies to get their licenses and then you could really have some fun. There are a few ways where Ham has it's advantages. You can make phone calls from just about anywhere you can access a repeater. You can use your "HT" (handie talkie) as pager. So when your friends get close they can beep you. You can talk around the world just by dialing up an "IRLP" or an "Echolink" link. Hell you can even have you own low level television station. That way you can show videos of your caching trips.

I know that was a long post but, I have been a ham since the latter part of 1992 and still to this day find more ways to have fun with it.

Hope I didn't bore you..

Chris KA7CJH

I'm still a HAM newbie, and I'm learning new ways to use it all the time. All I have is an HT right now, but it's enough for me to play with.

Just managed to get the APRS working, and somehow I'll find that useful in the future.

Fun stuff though, if you're geocaching already, you probably like techie type stuff, so HAM radio wouldn't be too much of a strech for anyone to take on.

Finally got to reading on this forum, and a lot of great info. I've been a ham since 1993, recently got into Geocaching thanks to another ham friend. I always have my dual band mobile, along with a pair of FRS radios. Used to do CB radio but as a lot of others have said on here, too much garbage on there. However, it is still pretty reliable if thats all your group uses. Rusty, theres a couple of folks here in Reno that give Ham Radio exams as well. If ya need any help with finding where they are testing let me know and I can put you in touch with someone. Theres lot of 2m and 440mhz repeaters around here that provide awesome coverage in a lot of the area's in and out of town. Anyhow, just my 2 cents, hope everyone had a wonderful turkey day and happy holidays.

Jeremy Clark

KB7RZF

I probably won't get a 2M unit until late next year. I want to do a lot of research first. Plus I have some other projects that are ahead of that one, rather than go cheap I'll wait and get a decent unit.

Finally got to reading on this forum, and a lot of great info.  I've been a ham since 1993, recently got into Geocaching thanks to another ham friend.  I always have my dual band mobile, along with a pair of FRS radios.  Used to do CB radio but as a lot of others have said on here, too much garbage on there.  However, it is still pretty reliable if thats all your group uses.  Rusty, theres a couple of folks here in Reno that give Ham Radio exams as well.  If ya need any help with finding where they are testing let me know and I can put you in touch with someone.  Theres lot of 2m and 440mhz repeaters around here that provide awesome coverage in a lot of the area's in and out of town.  Anyhow, just my 2 cents, hope everyone had a wonderful turkey day and happy holidays.

Jeremy Clark

KB7RZF

I probably won't get a 2M unit until late next year. I want to do a lot of research first. Plus I have some other projects that are ahead of that one, rather than go cheap I'll wait and get a decent unit.

Sounds good, any bit of help that I can do let me know. Im only off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, don't mind helping where I can. Just send me an email and let me know. jeremy@kb7rzf.reno.nv.us

Is there a HT that will recharge the battery on the 12v adapter?

You can find 12 adapters for most HT's on the market. Any specific brand your talking about? I know my Yaesu dual band radio as well as my Alinco dual band both worked off of 12v and recharged the battery.

I bought an old Yaesu FT-51R with a car charger. Works better off this than off batteries.

Note: Be careful with used HT's. If they don't come with a AAA or AA battery holder, and are not REALLY recent vintage, you will likely run into battery problems and have a hard time finding good replacements.

You can find 12 adapters for most HT's on the market. Any specific brand your talking about? I know my Yaesu dual band radio as well as my Alinco dual band both worked off of 12v and recharged the battery.

Here's another idea I saw years ago. Run a power inverter (12Vdc to 120Vac) and just plug the drop-in charger into it. You don't need an inverter with much grunt so you can get away with one intended for lap-tappers (150Watts) and you'll be in good shape. Budget 150$USD and you'll do just fine. And you have the added benefit of running other equipment from it: cellphone chargers; lap-tops; TV; DVD players; fans; soldering irons; oscilloscopes and other test equipment. Even home audio equipment can be used so if you're camping you can plug your boom box into the car and save some moolah on dry-cell batteries. Most inverters will disconnect long before the battery is run down too low to start the vehicle.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I have been into CB radio since 1968(privately and commercially) and into Ham radio(hobby only) since 2000. Both CB and Ham radio have their advantages over each other.

HUH? WHAT advantage does CB have over Ham radio???? There isn't ONE, not ONE! It's been proven time and time again that the only way a person thinks a CB is any more usefull than a child's walkie-talkie is to do it illegally with extra power. A technician class license has the ability to talk internationally as I have done so and so have many others.

Mike K9DRX

http://www.qsl.net/k9drx/

Edited by triryche
HUH? WHAT advantage does CB have over Ham radio???? There isn't ONE, not ONE! It's been proven time and time again that the only way a person thinks a CB is any more usefull than a child's walkie-talkie is to do it illegally with extra power. A technician class license has the ability to talk internationally as I have done so and so have many others.

Mike, don't hold back. Let us know how you really feel. :lol:

I agree that CB is not as useful as it once was, but given that there are more users on CB than amateur radio, it can often be easier to raise someone on it. Granted, if I were in a pickle I don't know if I'd like to call for help on a CB - you just never know who (or what) might come to your aid! :huh:

Cheers!

C-A

Yeah, a CB COULD be a useful tool but the majority of persons operating there are far from "useful" tools which makes it unfortunate. I had a CB for a few weeks (picked up a base station from an estate sale) a number of years ago and the local activity was pure ignorance. Truck drivers would ask for help and people would just make dumb noises and ignore them. Some folks would ask the drivers to change channels so they could give them directions and retards would follow along and tie up the frequency with noise and other crap. Someone was actually using those radios for a usefull purpose and that bothers some people apparently. There was even some dork that thought it was neat to transmit the local AM radio station for 12 hours straight over CB. I have heard stories about some of the local maroons using 1500 watt 10M amps to run AM CB. And who do they talk to? A guy accross town!! :huh:

Mike K9DRX

Edited by triryche
I have been into CB radio since 1968(privately and commercially) and into Ham radio(hobby only) since 2000. Both CB and Ham radio have their advantages over each other.

Mike K9DRX

My understanding is that in 4x4 groups CB is the most common means of communication.

That doesn't mean ham equipment isn't better just that you may not be talking to the rest of your group when they are all on CB.

When I join the local 4x4 club if they are using CB's odds are I'll be buying on. If they are all a bunch of hams...then I'd probably go that route.

Yeah, a CB COULD be a useful tool but the majority of persons operating there are far from "useful" tools which makes it unfortunate. Someone was actually using those radios for a usefull purpose and that bothers some people apparently. I have heard stories about some of the local maroons using 1500 watt 10M amps to run AM CB. And who do they talk to? A guy accross town!!

I can share some stories too - they are all along the same lines. One that comes to mind during a vicious snowstorm here was a high-powered station tying up channel 19 with utter nonsense talk making it impossible for anyone to call for help or share truly useful road information with others - an idiot of the first order. There are lot of high-powered (illegal) stations on the band all trying to stomp on top of one another whilst speaking jive. This brings the noise floor up so high that even reliable conversations on "clear" channels across town from car to car can be impossible.

Working in wireless myself and knowing a Government radio inspector he tells me the biggest problem with complaints that are follow up on with regards to illegal CB and freeband operators is that they don't have jobs.

An interesting thing is happening now where these freebanders have surfaced on FRS frequencies using commercial two-way radios running high-power from their subsidized housing hi-rise apartments.

Cheers!

C-A

UNLESS they interfere with another service while doing so.. Which I witnessed a couple years ago. Some clowns were using 50-100watt VHF ham radios with base station antennas on the MURS frequencies. One of those MURS channels is VERY close to a State Police frequency and these guys were heard there plain as day because of spurious transmissions. doh!

CB, GMRS, Marine, MURS.. all bands the FCC could care less about until it's starts bothering another bill paying service. All about money :D

Overhead console.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned building an overhead console. I found this one and think I may use it rather than scratch build something. There should be plenty of room in one bay for a CB and 2M unit. The group I run with uses CB and is resistant to change so I will be using a CB like it or not. 2M is for my solo runs or if there is an emergency, one other driver has both. The other bay will hold an AM/FM/ CD player. These units are nice because you can lock them, good feature when you have a soft top or no top on the rig.

Some clowns were using 50-100watt VHF ham radios with base station antennas on the MURS frequencies. One of those MURS channels is VERY close to a State Police frequency and these guys were heard there plain as day

I can see this happening. VHF ham radios aren't subject to the same rigorous transmit specifications as commercial gear. Also, the deviation of ham rigs is frequency dependent and normally set for maximum deviation of 5kHz on their top frequency, which is 147.995MHz. When modified for out-of-band transmit they will definitely exceed the maximum allowed and be easily identifiable. Also the frequency synthesizers in them take time to settle down on the right frequency and this can cause popping on other adjacent frequencies.

Some other services REALLY get abused. See http://www.bigradios.com

Cheers!

C-A