Development Time

cachew nut

I noticed that some requests that require minimal development get put on the top of the list.

Just curious as to how hard it would be to program in a way to remove more than one cache at a time from the watchlist.

Where would this fall on a scale of 1 to 10, easiest to hardest? If it doesn't require a big effort, could it be moved up the list a bit? Thanks for listening to me again. ;)

Edited by cachew nut

well, I'm currently working on cache attributes, which is a rather large project (because I tend to overdesign things in anticipation of feature creep). When I'm working on a larger project I tend to jump on some of the smaller ideas since I can push them to production with minimal effort.

The watchlist thing is used by a smaller group so I tend to push this down farther on the list, but it really doesn't take a whole lot of time to implement it. I'll do my best to add it at those moments where the other projects get dull.

Since you are looking for "quickies" I would like to renew my request for ignore this cache and an icon for first cache in state/country/providence

These are far from "quickies" - The ignore list is already part of the concept of Bookmark lists which is a larger solution. And I don't plan to add "firsts" for cache listings.

an icon for first cache in state/country/providence

In most cases that first cache is long gone and archived, so this would accomplish little. For the few that do remain, it's easy to add something to the description, if the owner chooses to do so.

Get your own thread, this one is about bulk deletions from the watchlist :P

:rolleyes: yearly bump :unsure:

Each time I go to my watchlist and see the 25 or more caches I would like to remove, I think to myself:

I could easily remove these in less than 30 minutes if I do then one at a time. If I start now, I'll be done in half an hour.

Then, just as I am about to start I remind myself:

Jeremy said he would take care of this. I know he doesn't think it is that important, but how would he feel if I went ahead and deleted them myself manually, only taking 30 minutes or so, and then getting no thanks from me when he finally fixes this rather obvious problem? Hmm, better to wait than to hurt feelings. I'm waiting, hope your feelings aren't getting hurt.

Today I mass-deleted seven bookmarks from a shared bookmark list. Three cachers had used the list for planning a group hunt two weekends ago, and I didn't need the list anymore.

Let me assure you, it was a real head rush to press that bulk delete button. It ranked somewhere between kissing Angelina Jolie and finding a $5 bill lying on the street. I'm still a bit woozy.

It is well worth the wait. Be strong.

At the bottom of each of those "unwanted emails" is a link to remove that cache from your watchlist. Each time you get one, click that link and then the "yes" button that comes up. In a week or two the list will probably be almost empty :laughing:

That still takes time and does not delete them all at once. I've basically been deleting the unwanted ones before opening them, based on the email subject. While your suggestion is helpful, it's not quite the solution I was looking for. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

That still takes time and does not delete them all at once. I've basically been deleting the unwanted ones before opening them, based on the email subject. While your suggestion is helpful, it's not quite the solution I was looking for. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

well this way you don't have to look for something new to pontificate about.

Edited by LaPaglia

Was that personal jab really necessary? :laughing:

Was that personal jab really necessary? :laughing:

In this case, yes. and it wasnt a jab it was more of a returned favor. :rolleyes:

It's been 5 years since geocaching started. It's been several years that I have been a paying member. It's been easily over a year, easily, that I have been asking for a way to mass delete my watchlist.

Next month my premium memership expires and when it does, I will go in and manually clear out my unwanted caches from my watchlist. It will take me a while to do, I'll bet Jeremy can write code to mass delete faster that it will take me to manually do it.

Once my membership expires, I will not renew it for a couple of months as a protest, hopefully when someone notices the frozen burrito and easy cheese budget is a bit short, this might get fixed.

And then I'll just renew again since I like supporting the site because it keeps the game alive. Next year I will withhold my joining for a couple of months again, and keep doing this every year until there is a way to mass delete from the watchlist. Darn, I could really use that time to go geocaching instead. :mad:

Edit: changing the dadgum to darn

Edited by cachew nut

Perhaps if you could explain why signing up for a zillion watch lists and then fussing about having to delete them is more satisfying than either following the link in each message or better yet, using repeated suggestion of the bookmark lists which DO let you toggle the watch for an entire list your protest might be more effective.

In fairness, that wasn't an option when this thread started, but the ability to pop them off a hundred at a time doesn't seem too restrictive to the casual observer.

It's been 5 years since geocaching started. It's been several years that I have been a paying member. It's been easily over a year, easily, that I have been asking for a way to mass delete my watchlist. ...

If I'm reading your post correctly, once we become paying members, Jeremy is our personal programmer. That is so cool. I wish I knew about it years ago. I'm going to go write my list of things for Jeremy to program for me.

Thanks. :D

Edited by sbell111

Watchlists will be moved to their own special bookmark list. However more time recently has been spent on making sure the site runs ok on Sundays. When they are moved they will have the same group delete functionality as the bookmark lists.

Perhaps if you could explain why signing up for a zillion watch lists and then fussing about having to delete them is more satisfying than either following the link in each message or better yet, using repeated suggestion of the bookmark lists which DO let you toggle the watch for an entire list your protest might be more effective.

In fairness, that wasn't an option when this thread started, but the ability to pop them off a hundred at a time doesn't seem too restrictive to the casual observer.

Either you don't know what I'm talking about or I don't know what you are talking about, but if there was a way to mass delete from my watchlist now, I wouldn't be posting to this thread.

If I wanted to know how to delete them one at a time then I would be asking that question, which I'm not, since I already know how to do that.

It's not a zillion, but it is quite a few. I put the ones I'm interested on my watchlist when I feel I'd like to watch them. What difference does it make how they got on the list, I'm trying to get them off my list. Try posting something helpful. :D

It sounds like there's exactly one person who cares about this added functionality. Regardless of the number of man-hours required to address it, it would seem like sound project management gives this request a low priority because of low demand. There are tons of things that are being requested by dozens or hundreds of users - that is where the development effort should be (and, from what I've seen, has been) directed.

Boycotts are rarely effective, even if there are large numbers of people participating. One person boycotting for a couple of months at a time means a gross loss of revenue totaling in the neighborhood of - hmm, let's see - zilch.

If you want to get this issue addressed, try to establish a groundswell movement that addresses your desire to TPTB in a constructive fashion, with an argument that makes it clear why the feature would be useful to a large portion of the user community. Then maybe, if there are no other, more pressing requests, it may be implemented. Until then, you're just making noise to make yourself feel better.

[This commentary represents my own opinions based on decades of data processing project management. It does not necessarily reflect the opinions of this web site or any of its employees, participants, or other good folk. It is merely my way of getting something off my chest so I can go to bed without feeling irritated by it. Hey, I just made some noise to make MYSELF feel better. :D ]

In the interim can't you just use the "remove from watchlist" link from watchlist emails? I think that feature is available.

Of course, I already know how to remove them one at a time. Doing them from the email doesn't really save any clicks though.

Hey, I just made some noise to make MYSELF feel better.

Obviously.

Then why not just say "I'm not going to do it."? What's the point of teasing that it might be done soon, or after the holidays, or after the Sunday slowdowns are fixed? Just say it's not going to happen.

I realize my boycott won't have any effect on the site's bottom line, the six dollars is symbolic. You see, the membership is such a bargain that even if I didn't join again, it would be insignificant.

I have no intention of trying to create a groundswell of people withholding their membership dues, I actually support the site. My two months without the membership benefits will serve as a reminder to myself to not ask or complain about things in the future.

I have no intention of trying to create a groundswell of people withholding their membership dues

I wasn't advocating a mass boycott. As I said before, they generally don't have an impact. The groundswell movement I was referring to was a bunch of people saying "I'd like that feature, too." Just letting TPTB know that it's something that people are interested in gives them an incentive to implement the feature.

I have no intention of trying to create a groundswell of people withholding their membership dues

I wasn't advocating a mass boycott. As I said before, they generally don't have an impact. The groundswell movement I was referring to was a bunch of people saying "I'd like that feature, too." Just letting TPTB know that it's something that people are interested in gives them an incentive to implement the feature.

There were others who wanted this besides me. This is hardly the first thread where this is requested.

In the interim can't you just use the "remove from watchlist" link from watchlist emails? I think that feature is available.

Of course, I already know how to remove them one at a time. Doing them from the email doesn't really save any clicks though.

Yeah. I get it. I also wrote another post above that indicating that it will be migrated to a special list on bookmark lists. However there are sometimes higher priorities that get ahead of features like this one. Sorry we can't accomodate everyone's timelines.

Well it's done, my premium membership has expired without having a way to delete items in bulk from the watchlist. Today I will start deleting them one at a time. So far it looks like I'm not missing much except for that good feeling.

Gee I guess that means they cant afford that new server now that you dropped your membership.

:o

Ditto what ChileHead said about eschewing the watchlist in favor of the more powerful, and anonymous, bookmark feature. It will be great when this cool new feature is further improved upon, like when the main watchlist is rolled in.

But, you gotta admire Cachew Nut's tenacity and persistence with this issue and a few others. He'd be great to have along on a search for a difficulty 4 cache. Perhaps that challenging cache would be holding one of the many White Jeep Travel Bugs soon to be released in the Chicago area -- something that Groundspeak worked on very hard to make happen. It was all to make one guy happy, you know.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Perhaps that challenging cache would be holding one of the many White Jeep Travel Bugs soon to be released in the Chicago area -- something that Groundspeak worked on very hard to make happen. It was all to make one guy happy, you know.

So how do you move your watchlist in bulk to the bookmarks. Does doing this allow me to clear items out of my present watchlist in bulk? Maybe I was too hasty. I guess I missed that part. :o

I found my white jeep today, quite by accident actually. Kudo's to Groundspeak for listening and finding a responsible group for distributing them fairly this year. :o

I'm not sure if Groundspeak will ever get the new server Lapaglia is talking about, I hope they do, but my conscience would not allow me to delete the list manually and pay for it too. Now I can delete it manually, and I have nothing to complain about. I'm not sure if you understand that, but I do. :) Besides, I'll be back after my short protest, so the server thing may just be a little delayed.

Edited by cachew nut

Well it's been a couple of weeks now, I thought I would be climbing the walls for sure by now, but amazingly enough I haven't really missed my premium membership yet. Granted, geocaching hasn't been a top priority the past couple of weeks either, but it makes me wonder if that is truly coincidence. Not a good thing.

It looks like the watchlist hasn't been addressed yet. :D I'll try to be patient, it's a virtue don't you know?

Edit: sticky key

Edited by cachew nut