Cool Use Of A Bison Tube.

CoyoteRed

A little background on how recent events lead up to this post.

Recently while on vacation the wife was on the porch of the little cottage we had rented and was talking on the phone while I was inside watching TV concerned with the approach of Hurricane Ivan. Right out of the blue she came in a said the hospital was on the phone and wanted to talk to me--my father had had a heart attack. Long story short, he's going to be okay. The reason they were calling me was his new wife was in a different town grandbaby-sitting and Dad, who carries no cell phone and relies on speed dail to call everyone, couldn't think of the phone number. He couldn't think of anyone's number. A kindly corpsman offered to look up some names and finally she found our number. Our machine has our cellphone number on it and was able to get hold of us. We were then able to get hold of his wife and let her know her husband was in the hospital.

This illustrates a need to carry a hardcopy of important phone numbers.

Then a customer of ours was asking about ideas for projects involving the Bison tubes we sell. One of the ideas I came up with--which is probably very close to the orginal idea of the capsule to begin with--was an "Urban Emergency Kit."

(Kind of reminds of the old concept of "Pin Money" where a young lady would pin money in the hem of her skirt for cab fare if her date turned out to be a jerk.)

Components include one small Bison capsule, a single paper note of currency for your area (this idea works well for the ~2.5"x~6" US currency. Mine is a $20 bill.), and a 1.25"x6" piece of paper. On the piece of paper write all of your important and emergency contacts and other information. This could include all the phone numbers and addresses of responsible family members, your heath care provider, insurance information, name, SSN, DOB, DL, pertinent health concerns, and whatever else you wish to include. Fold your bill in half along the long end so it is now 1.25"x6". Place your info sheet on top and roll it up tightly. It will fit in a small Bison capsule. Attach it to your key ring, drop in your pack, put it in your pocket, or anywhere where you will always have it on you.

While many people keep such information in their wallet, you might not have you wallet on you at the wrong time. This would come in handy for many situations.

Another thing to include in the piece of paper is calling card information. If you don't already have one, go out and buy a cheap calling card, even 10 minutes will do for this situation. Copy the pertinent information to the paper and you will be able to call someone if you come across a pay phone.

I'd also type the information up on a computer so you can get the copy smaller and print on a laser printer so in case the paper gets wet the text won't run.

Sources for capsules:

Bison Designs - Manuacturer

REI - Retailer

Our little store - Please forgive the crass self promotion.

I hope this helps someone.

Kind of reminds of the old concept of "Pin Money" where a young lady would pin money in the hem of her skirt for cab fare if her date turned out to be a jerk

Excellent idea! Glad you dad will be okay, BTW.

Pin money? Whoa... and here I thought I was just getting a tip all these years!

Your bison tubes look really cool!

I have been trying to come up with a suitable use for the commerative 1000th find capsule you made for me. It's just been riding around in the console of the car since our event. That's perfect! Thanks for the idea! :P

PS sorry you don't get another sale here, and I hope your Dad gets well soon. ;)

CR, I was talking about your idea of keeping emergency numbers in a Bison tube with a friend of mine today. He suffers from a few ailments himself, and he agreed that he needed to keep emergency numbers with him in case something happened. That way emergency responders could contact his family and such. He wants me to get him some so he can attach them to his keyrings. He brought up a good idea, in my opinion, also.

He thought it would be great, in case the person is incapacitated, if the bison tube had engraved on it "OPEN IN CASE OF EMERGENCY". That way if the person was unconscious or such, the emergency responders would read it and know to open the bison tube up for the numbers inside and the like. Do you think you could engrave a message like that on some bison tubes? I sure do want to purchase some if you can for my friend and my family.

Thanks

LSUFan

<snip> He brought up a good idea, in my opinion, also.

He thought it would be great, in case the person is incapacitated, if the bison tube had engraved on it "OPEN IN CASE OF EMERGENCY". That way if the person was unconscious or such, the emergency responders would read it and know to open the bison tube up for the numbers inside and the like. Do you think you could engrave a message like that on some bison tubes? I sure do want to purchase some if you can for my friend and my family.

Thanks

LSUFan

I was just about to post the same suggestion :( I cannot justify the cost at this time for caching, but I can justify it for my parents safety and my peice of mind.

Please update this thread if/when the engraving part happens. :) please

He thought it would be great, in case the person is incapacitated, if the bison tube had engraved on it "OPEN IN CASE OF EMERGENCY".  That way if the person was unconscious or such, the emergency responders would read it and know to open the bison tube up for the numbers inside and the like. 

I agree it's a great idea.

If you're thinking of using it for emergencies--please include your medications, allergies and serious medical problems.

I see incapacitated people every day in the ER and it's frustrating and dangerous to have to treat them without any background info.

You're right. I'm a little concerned about losing the capsule. The capsules have a hole that will fit #3 ball chain which the standard size for a dog tag. I stole mine off a TB tag of mine that wasn't using it. I'm now wearing mine around my neck. It's mainly to see how much, if any, of a nuisance it is. I probably will only wear it while out and about.

For you info like PIN or other sensitive info that you can't remember could do a simple ROT5. Shouldn't do on medical info that others need to read.

CR, Funny you should mention this idea. I bought a few of these tubes from GC and use 2 of them on my motorcycle. One contains the registration and the other contains the insurance card. However since I do go off road sometimes to cache I will now put the information you suggested in the insurance tube and attache anothe tube to my bike keychain with the same info. Thanks.

Ken

OK, refresh my memory. I read a version of it as an adolescent, but all I remember is it was about a prisoner. (Really, I only read part of it, Asimov was much more interesting!)

ok Sissy - how can I say this 'delicately' on a family show -

he had a special metal tube made before he went to the prison - about the size of a cigar tube only shorter.

Then he inserted it - to be removed later.

That's a neat idea. You can get different sizes, or if you want to go really teeny weeny if you are loath to put more bulk on your key chain, you can get a pet ID tag that you can buy at a pet store. Same as a bison, but a whole lot smaller.

BTW, I wouldn't put things like my SS# or address or things that you don't want to fall in the wrong hands, though.

The more I think about it I feel Ambrosia is right. There are some things you should just know off the top of your head.

Thinking of things that ER or EMT personnel might need is all you need in case of an emergency: name, heath issues, blood type, emergency contact phone numbers. Insurance information could included, too.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a hospital must see you in a emergency situation and contact next of kin if possible, right?

All in all, if you make your emergency stash harder to lose than your wallet, and considering the stuff I carry in my wallet, whatever information is in it when you lose it would little different.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a hospital must see you in a emergency situation ... right?

Yes--there's a law called COBRA/EMTALA which says any hospital that accepts Medicare funding (which is every one except VA's) must evaluate everyone who walks in or arrives by ambulance.

It further says that you are obliged to treat any emergency condition regardless of ability to pay. If you don't it's a $50,000 fine, and hospitals take this VERY seriously.

Most hospitals interpret this to mean they can't even ask you if you have insurance until a nurse triages you to get an impression of what's wrong with you.

If you were incapacitated (which is the scenario described here) there's no doubt that you would get taken care of.

Most hospitals interpret this to mean they can't even ask you if you have insurance until a nurse triages you to get an impression of what's wrong with you.

The hospital here is named Tuomey; we call it Tombstone. They've never failed to make sure they have my insurance info before ascertaining my condition...even when I was there with a pulse rate of 197 and severe chest pain. :)

Back on topic:

Along with contact information, use a MedicAlert bracelet (or similar item) as an example of what information to include in a bison tube. Current medications (doctors MUST know if you're taking something like coumadin, a blood thinner), medical conditions, and allergies (drugs, bees, etc.)

A list that is printed in a small font would probably be easier to read than a handwritten list, especially if there's a lot of information.

Great idea, CR...I'm happy to hear your father is okay.

neat idea - I orderd 5 tubes yesterday - wooda dun it a few days ago when this post hit but had a frustrating few days with pay(pal?) ...

Hey Red - I know your purpose was to warn and to inform of a really good idea and I do NOT mean to even suggest that the purpose of your post was to push tube sales - but since it prompted me to place an order I was thinking about anyway (I did buy more than I had originally thought of) I hope that this did help with some sales - we do need to support our gc suppliers.

Hey I really like the battery belt idea - ordered 2 of those too.