Are there false finders out there?

1setter

I was wondering if people claim to have found a cache, say they took nothing, left nothing and of course didn't sign the log book. A local cache here has barriers across the trail because of nesting eagles and someone said they found the cache. Didn't mention barriers or eagles. The trail won't be open until July, but I guess they could have ignored them and gone around.

There probably are fakers out there like that. Not that I'm accusing, but it's like anything else. Some people have to have the highest score in everything, no matter what. Even if it means not playing by the rules.

I would have to say: This isn't a competition (at least not for me) to see if I can find more caches than some one else. If you think some one is doing this, just ignore them. And maybe feel sorry for them that they have to lie about something like this to make themselves feel like a more important person icon_eek.gif

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

There was quit a bit of hubbub about 1Geocacher (female) here in Houston. Claimed to be a reporter doing a story or something. Would only write "Logging the cache," on the online cache pages. When she got called out by the locals, she got a bit nasty. I'm sure someone will Markwell the thread. I'm too tired. Gotta go nite nite.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Yes, there are a some cheaters out there. There was one fellow who was caught using Photoshop to fake finds on a good number of locationless caches.

Here in NJ, there was the mysterious Dr Who, who started racking up a large number of finds in a short period of time. There was no evidence of his visits in the logs. With a little detective work from TPTB, it turned out that Dr Who was a sock puppet account for an area geocacher who had a number of legit finds. The real mystery is why he created an acount to log fake finds.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Well, I guess I'm finally busted... icon_redface.gif

I've faked EVERY one of my finds.

I figure, why bother leaving the house to tramp thru God knows where, spending hours, gas, and wear and tear on my vehicle just to find some broken McToy in some box hidden in some nasty hole somehere, and to sign my name in some cheap little notebook, that no-one ever reads anyway...

WHen I can just log as many finds as I want from the comfort of my living room couch... icon_biggrin.gif

Its the joy isnt in the finding, its in the logging and saying I've got higher numbers than you... icon_razz.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

the cacher using closed trails mighht account for the sketchiness of the log, even if they did find the cache.

i don't know about you, but some folks might not want to say in public "i crossed the barrier, poached the trail and disturbed the eagles".

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I can't understand what would make someone want to post a find they know they never did. I mean eventually you will be exposed.

I can only imagine it is done for the numbers. I personally could not log a find if I did not do it. Every time I logged into my cache page those phony logs would stare me in the face and I would feel crooked.

Hey if you have no conscience and you dont mind eventually being exposed to the rest of the geocaching community, go ahead and log away. I'll be sure to delete you from my cache if I find you icon_wink.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by Perrin:

There probably are fakers out there like that. Not that I'm accusing, but it's like anything else. Some people have to have the highest score in everything, no matter what. Even if it means not playing by the rules.

I would have to say: This isn't a competition (at least not for me) to see if I can find more caches than some one else. If you think some one is doing this, just ignore them. And maybe feel sorry for them that they have to lie about something like this to make themselves feel like a more important person icon_eek.gif

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

since you dont want to point fingers, i will. check out this log by 'Secret Agent Man'. only 2 possibilities here:

1)a false log

2)incorrectly logged

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

since you dont want to point fingers, i will. check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26439 by 'Secret Agent Man'. only 2 possibilities here:

1)a false log

2)incorrectly logged

I would say logged the wrong page with the wrong log. I think if somebody was going to lie about finding a cache they would be a little smarter than that (then again, maybe not). I also think they would prolly have a lot more finds (unless they just started today).

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

No me gustan los huevos verdes y hamon!!!!!!!

On the other hand, there are people finding caches, singing logbooks and not logging the finds on the website, so it should balance the total number of finds icon_wink.gif

I have noticed this phenomena several times - mostly when I saw a fresh log in the logbook and the last logged find was several weeks old - or once when I dropped my camera near a cache and somebody finding only that one cache (according to the website) contacted me and brought it to me - really a nice guy, we talked about the other local caches which he has found but on the website he still has only that one find.

Wondering about the motivation... just paranoia to post your movements to the Internet? Anyway it has to be uncomfortable to keep track of found / not found caches without logging them.

quote:
since you dont want to point fingers, i will. check out this log by 'Secret Agent Man'. only 2 possibilities here:

1)a false log

2)incorrectly logged

From the looks of the logs on that page, Secret Agent Man wasn't the only one logging fake finds. Bergey Bit posted a fake find and Rock Traveller's find is debatable because he saw the cache, but didn't actually reach it.

quote:
On the other hand, there are people finding caches, singing logbooks and not logging the finds on the website, so it should balance the total number of finds

There are some who do this, but thankfully not a lot. They don't realize that logging your finds online is a courtesy to the cache owner. It tells the owner that their cache is being found, keeps them apprised of its condition and lets them know that their effort is appreciated.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 30, 2003 at 04:20 AM.]

Yep, I have seen that too.

People claiming they log online that they found a cache, but it had to have been moved, as they found the spot where the cache was, but not the cache. Then the owner goes by and it is still right there where it is supposed to be.

I guess some people are to proud to admit they did not find the cache, as they are perfect.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

From the looks of the logs on that page, Secret Agent Man wasn't the only one logging fake finds. Bergey Bit posted a fake find and Rock Traveller's find is debatable because he saw the cache, but didn't actually reach it.

jeesh, your not going to start the close doesnt count arguement again, are you???

icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'