Largest Geocache

The largest one that I am aware of is a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder 4-wheel drive SUV where the entire interior is the cache container. I don't want to give the link since it is a surprise to the people that find it. The size is not listed as an attribute, but on the page it say that the cache is in a "small 4X4 container under a pile of rocks". There are also lots of warnings to place it back exactly as you found it.

Inside the cache, I need to restock it soon, it is kinda bare at the moment. Although, there is more swag in here than would fit in a double 50 ammo can, it looks bare unles you really load it up. When it started it had two toasters, six vases, two electric can openers, a coffee maker and two lamps in it as well as the other swag. All new stuff still in the boxes. It also had a really tacky three foot tall FTF trophy.c3fbcc11-9455-4b51-a9f7-802059accb2d.jpg

It was not left there, I put it there. I drove this thing for 249,000 miles before the tranny went out. A new tranny cost more than the car was worth so I parked it in one of our barns. It sat there for a year before i got involved in caching. I got the idea for this cache so I towed the pathfinder to a set of heavy woods on our farm that is accesible from a side road. It is .17 from the road and you have to walk through some pretty thick stuff to get to it. The best thing is you cannot see it from 100 feet away. Believe it or not it gets no finds occassionally.

I removed a section of fencing to allow access and have quit running cattle on this piece of property, plus we no longer mow these pastures to make it more interesting for cache hunters. Another plus of this is that we now have a large deer population that has moved into this area. I jumped two big deer when I went in to take the pictures today. My wife and I intend to build a house here in the next couple of years, when we do I will move the cache so it will not be in our back yard.

Edited by Monkeybrad

As someone we both know well would say:"toooo cooool!" :D:P

Now I have to scour your profile, add it to my watch list, and put it on our must do list for the next Cacheville visit. I might even keep it a secret from the rest of the team since I spend more time in the forums than the other five put together. ;):D

PS- Got it! :D

Edited by wimseyguy

Those are all cool, but they are really small or average size containers placed in large places. The cool thing about the pathfinder cache is that the entire interior is the cache container. If someone wants to trade for the ashtray or steering wheel that is perfectly acceptable. I am not sure that would be the case if you traded out the furniture in the cabin, I may be wrong. I am really curious to see if there is anything larger than the pathfinder out there.

Those are all cool, but they are really small or average size containers placed in large places. The cool thing about the pathfinder cache is that the entire interior is the cache container. If someone wants to trade for the ashtray or steering wheel that is perfectly acceptable. I am not sure that would be the case if you traded out the furniture in the cabin, I may be wrong. I am really curious to see if there is anything larger than the pathfinder out there.

I think you win - for now.

When I become a billionaire, I'm going to hire the people that made the FREE stamp for Cleveland and the arrow for San Francisco to make an ammo box that's 100 feet long.

*Checks pockets*

Hmm... 19 cents down, $999,999,999.81 to go.

Probably not the largest, but still pretty big at 30" x 20" x 24" :

3x3 mini adventure

I dropped a 15" monitor in the cache container.  ;)  :ph34r:

Now that you have to walk to the cache, I doubt anyone would want to carry the monitor back out. <_< (I didn't check the logs to see if anyone ever traded for the monitor.)

--Marky

Just wait. When I get out there, I'm bringing a fireproof safe. Try carting THAT back home! :wacko:

I love monkeybrad's cache - still LOL "4x4 container under rocks" - rotfl

We were recently doing a multi-cache and along the path while searching out the first stage, we passed near an old, classic, stripped and rusted out VW Bug. I said to my newbie caching partners "want to bet the cache is in the bug?" We searched through the bug without success. I was bummed out.

Considering going back and planting a cache in the bug, but there are already 2 caches in this pretty small and remote area/park.

Congrats on the "outside the box" thinking monkeybrad!

Caleb

I think I remember hearing about someone who used a 20' (30'? 40'???) shipping container as a cache. Maybe down in Phoenix, AZ? Somebody help me out on this one.

I seem to remember that, too. I'll see if I can find it. Meanwhile, here's one of the classics (and somebody talks about building one from a shipping container in one of the posts in the thread) http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=142034

More talk: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=138491

And more talk: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162878

Still more: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=130416

And http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=70565