Waiting On Nj Cache Approval For A Week

BMSquared

Has anybody had a cache approved in NJ this week? I hid and posted a cache on Sunday the 26th. I have not heard anything from NJ Admin. Nothing good, nothing bad, just nothing. I know of one other cache in the general vicinity of mine, but it is definitely outside of the 0.1 mile guideline radius.

I know the servers were down last week at one point, so I posted a reviewer note to try and draw attention to the fact that the cache is there, and awaiting approval. That note was posted Friday.

Today is 8 days out from hiding. I suspect NJAdmin might be on vacation and am just curious to know if anyone else has had a problem this week.

Hello,

I checked the queue and there are 12 caches awaiting review in New Jersey; yours is the second-oldest. Others have been listed with later GC numbers so there is probably some "triage" going on, as discussed in this topic. Easy caches with no issues may be listed more quickly than caches requiring follow-up work.

In the case of your cache, for starters I would recommend changing the cache type from multicache to puzzle cache because the posted coordinates are in the middle of a body of water, and one can only begin the cache hunt by first doing a bit of puzzle solving. I did not look for any other issues as it is not my cache to review.

I hope you hear back soon. In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

It's really amazing how some caches in NJ get approved almost instantly while others remain "unreviewed" for a long time.

After having waited patiently for several days for my latest three submissions to be approved, and having noticed that other local caches "hidden" several days after mine had been submitted had been approved the same day they were hidden, I said "to hell with it" and archived the submissions here ... and listed them elsewhere.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Easy caches with no issues may be listed more quickly than caches requiring follow-up work.

So please let me get this straight:

If you post an easy drive-and-dump cache you get to jump the line over a more rewarding multi or creative cache?

Isn't that sending the wrong message to geocachers who place caches?

Or is this the direction the GC.com people have decided to take in?

I enjoy tougher caches. (Still my humble opinion) I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of cache approving and all the history attached to how things are done and what works best, but I believe that each cache should be reviewed in the order that it was recieved. I understand it 'clogs' the system, however caches are taking 5-7 days for approval anyway.

EDIT: I am not trying to rant here, I am just worried by the above quote and its implications to cache placement.

Edited by avroair
It's really amazing how some caches in NJ get approved almost instantly while others remain "unreviewed" for a long time.

After having waited patiently for several days for my latest three submissions to be approved, and having noticed that other local caches "hidden" several days after mine had been submitted had been approved the same day they were hidden, I said "to hell with it" and archived the submissions here ... and listed them elsewhere.

You have to slip NJ Admin a few bucks for quick approval. A twenty usually does the trick. $50 if you hid it next to a nuclear power plant.

Easy caches with no issues may be listed more quickly than caches requiring follow-up work.

So please let me get this straight:

If you post an easy drive-and-dump cache you get to jump the line over a more rewarding multi or creative cache?

Isn't that sending the wrong message to geocachers who place caches?

Or is this the direction the GC.com people have decided to take in?

I enjoy tougher caches. (Still my humble opinion) I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of cache approving and all the history attached to how things are done and what works best, but I believe that each cache should be reviewed in the order that it was recieved. I understand it 'clogs' the system, however caches are taking 5-7 days for approval anyway.

EDIT: I am not trying to rant here, I am just worried by the above quote and its implications to cache placement.

In the last seven days, in Ohio alone, I reviewed more than 50 geocaches. I've just gotten caught up.

On Monday or Tuesday, three caches were hidden that raised interesting issues under the railroad guidelines. I posted links to them, along with links to the maps showing the tracks, for comment in the reviewers' forum before providing an answer to the owner. Also on Monday or Tuesday, a hider submitted a 13 stage multicache and there were issues with two of the stages.

One of the reasons for the unusually high number of hides was an event picnic held in Northern Ohio on Saturday. By skipping over the railroad caches and the multicache for a few days, I was able to list dozens of new caches which the participants in that event greatly enjoyed searching out.

Avroair, I know that you like to organize events and hide caches for them. Suppose those railroad caches and the 13-stage multicache were just ahead in the queue, right in front of your straightforward ammo box in the park. Shall I do as you suggested? If I did, I'm sure that the volume of complaint threads would increase dramatically. Most folks understand that multicaches, puzzle caches and caches with issues take extra time.

EDIT: Upon a second reading, I am worried that my use of the words "easy caches" may be causing some misunderstanding. I meant "easy" from the reviewer's perspective. A terrain four cache, placed deep in the wilderness but with permission from the State Forestry Department, in a good location with no other nearby caches, is an "easy cache" for me to list. A drive and dump micro may be an "easy cache" for a finder, but if it is next to railroad tracks and 400 feet from an existing cache, it is not easy for the reviewer.

Edited by Keystone Approver
By skipping over the railroad caches and the multicache for a few days, I was able to list dozens of new caches which the participants in that event greatly enjoyed searching out.

As in all matters, the situation is not black and white and the situation stated above falls into a gray area and merits the decision made.

Avroair, I know that you like to organize events and hide caches for them.

I did that once and I won't be doing it again. I got into too much trouble with them (my own fault). I choose to follow a model of another caching event but I planned poorly for the outcome. I will be adopting a better way of placing event caches, ones that are less permanent :P

Upon a second reading, I am worried that my use of the words "easy caches" may be causing some misunderstanding. I meant "easy" from the reviewer's perspective. A terrain four cache, placed deep in the wilderness but with permission from the State Forestry Department, in a good location with no other nearby caches, is an "easy cache" for me to list. A drive and dump micro may be an "easy cache" for a finder, but if it is next to railroad tracks and 400 feet from an existing cache, it is not easy for the reviewer.

Thank you for the clarification. You have set my mind at ease, I was looking at this from the perspective of the finder, not an approver. ;)

Edited by avroair
In the case of your cache, for starters I would recommend changing the cache type from multicache to puzzle cache because the posted coordinates are in the middle of a body of water, and one can only begin the cache hunt by first doing a bit of puzzle solving.

I didn't mean to start an argument. I really appreciate that Keystone looked into it for me. The only guidance I had to go by was the 2-3 days claimed on the cache listing page.

I will be patient. The only real worry I had was that the system was down at one point last week. I just wanted to make sure that my cahe review response was not lost.

In response to your recommendation, this is BOTH a puzzle and multi-cache. At your suggestion, I will change the cache type. Is there a guideline for which type takes precident in this case? I used a multi classification only because it is a multi in two distinct locations.

I really do appreciate your help.

After having waited patiently for several days for my latest three submissions to be approved, and having noticed that other local caches "hidden" several days after mine had been submitted had been approved the same day they were hidden...

Don't go by the hidden date. I know many cache owners will edit the hidden date to reflect the day it was approved. That way the cache will have the "new" icon for the full amount of time. If approval takes 5-6 days the cache will only be listed as "new" for a day or two rather than the full week, which is why some people do this.

BMSquared,

No arguments on my end, just constructive discussion and communication. I appreciated Avroair's last response in particular.

As for the "Puzzle vs. Multicache" dilemma, think of it in terms of what one finds at the posted coordinates. If the posted coordinates are bogus, like a parking lot or the middle of a lake, then you ought to be thinking mystery/unknown for the cache type, even though it may have many stages. You can't get started on the hunt until you find the first stage! A "traditional" multicache will take the finder to a container or virtual clue at the posted coordinates.

In defense of NJ Admin, my approval notices for my last few caches were posted at 2:26 AM. I dropped a note to comment on the time and joked that he must be making the big bucks to demonstrate that level of dedication. I was shocked at the reply that he makes NOTHING and volunteers to do 2-3 hours a night of review and approval.

I know I have been impatient (and at least once, a bit pushy) in the past. I vowed never again. We all think our cache placements are the greatest (and they are, they take a lot of work) but you have to respect the approvers.

How do we get them out to buy them a beer? We owe them big time!

In defense of NJ Admin, my approval notices for my last few caches were posted at 2:26 AM.  I dropped a note to comment on the time and joked that he must be making the big bucks to demonstrate that level of dedication.  I was shocked at the reply that he makes NOTHING  and volunteers to do 2-3 hours a night of review and approval. 

I know I have been impatient (and at least once, a bit pushy) in the past.  I vowed never again.  We all think our cache placements are the greatest (and they are, they take a lot of work) but you have to respect the approvers.

How do we get them out to buy them a beer?  We owe them big time!

Ditto what TRL just said...NJ Admin your ok in my book..I'm sure I keep you guys up all hours of the night, and most of the time it's for somthing I was at fault..Thanks for all your help and fast responses to all my questions and caches...

The thing is...I do respect the approvers. I only feared that with the system crash last week, that my cache was lost in the shuffle. I waited 6 days and posted a reviewer note asking the status. I got no response, so on day 8, I started asking here.

I mean no disrepect. I thank all the approvers for their dedication and service. I was only wondering if I was the only one, or if there was a backup for everyone. If the approver was on vacation and all the caches were on hold, that would have been OK, I just wanted to know if anyone else was still pending.

Needless to say, I have my answer. My cache needs to be tweaked and will be active soon. Some stages were a little too close to someone else's cache

There was a backup for everyone. Mine was just approved yesterday.

Out of curiosity, what were the actual dates you submitted the following caches for approval, and when were they actually approved?

The Roar

The Cascade

Take it or Leave it

Take it and Leave it was submitted last Thur and approved yesterday. The other two, I don't remember the exact dates, but I recall them taking close to a week to get approved.

Edited by briansnat
Since being listed for a week now, NEITHER HAS BEEN FOUND! (hint hint hint)

If approval is taking a long time, you might want to change the Date Hidden once they show up in the listing. I suspect many of us just take a look at the newest listings for the state when planning weekend trips.

I suspect many of us just take a look at the newest listings for the state when planning weekend trips.

Now, Now... not all of us have cleaned out the existing caches on the eastern seaboard.

;)

Actually, in my case, I failed to download the day before's Pocket Query and therefore, missed a newly placed cache within my hiding area. This is something I need to rectify, but I have to spend the evening elsewhere.... something about an event cache somewhere...

<_<

Both Ringwood Ramble I and II (both are multis) took a week.

Since being listed for a week now, NEITHER HAS BEEN FOUND! (hint hint hint)

Those two look really good. I was planning something very similar for the same area. Glad you beat me to it. Gives me somthing to find!

Perhaps, just maybe we are placing too many caches out there too quickly. I just did a pocket query for around the Floopy event and came back with 60 caches within 5 miles!!! ;)

I'll be at the event maybe by next Thurday... <_<

Don't blame me, that's Skully & Mulder territory.

Perhaps, just maybe we are placing too many caches out there too quickly. I just did a pocket query for around the Floopy event and came back with 60 caches within 5 miles!!!  ;)

I'll be at the event maybe by next Thurday...  <_<

And Treequest, and Team Rampant Lion, and Tick Magnets, and even little old ME!

Perhaps, just maybe we are placing too many caches out there too quickly. I just did a pocket query for around the Floopy event and came back with 60 caches within 5 miles!!!  ;)

And Dobsonian, whom I sorta met on Sunday.

It's great to live in an area where there is lots of open land and wonderful natural resources, isn't it! :wacko:

Perhaps, just maybe we are placing too many caches out there too quickly. I just did a pocket query for around the Floopy event and came back with 60 caches within 5 miles!!!  :(

I'll be at the event maybe by next Thurday...  :P

It's great to live in an area where there is lots of open land and wonderful natural resources, isn't it! :)

Where? Utah? :(

That is one way to lessen the burden on the reviewer, Thanks for your kind consideration and help. I assume this was done to prevent any unwarranted deaths for as we know getting your cache page listed is a life or death situation. Good thinking and quick action on your part probably prevented the loss of several lives.

Thanks for your dedication to the sport. You are to be commended.

Edited by Lapaglia