Finding Archived Caches

rutson

Sure there must be a way, but I'll be darnewd if I can find it!

I want to find a list of caches that have been archived, here's the problem:

I started getting pocket queries of all uk caches a while back. Every now and then, one of them gets archived. I tend to work mainly from my data in GSAK. Of course, if a cache is archived, it will stop appearing in PQs and therefore GSAK will not update it as archived. So unless I check the gc.com page for every cache I intent to visit, I will not know it's archived.

Having re-read that paragraph, I'm not too sure it makes sense, but I hope so :mad:

Any way round this?

I've been in this situation and been given the same good advice. Unfortunatly there doesn't appear to be any way of getting them ALL to show though on any of the above options, I know because I have about 3 which don't come up. In the end The Hornet/Peter Howard aka the moderator of this forum did the honours for me using his advanced options and gave me a list including all the ones which wouldn't previously appear, so my advice is to send him an email (mention me and he should! remember) if the above doesnt work! hope that helps :mad:

couldn't this be made available as a download for everyone to use updated weekly? please?

'Fraid not. The way I did the one off for Dan was to search for all caches around a centre point. I then went through the list manually, page by page, cutting and pasting the archived ones.

Like you, I don't have the ability to produce a report. Shame really but there you go!

The way :-  its GCUK  do an advanced search , and include unavailable and archived ........ so advanced and so unappreciated.

Now if only it could include JUST unavailable and archived....

Here's a basic cache list of Archived Caches. But you'll still have to update GSAK manually, I'm afraid.

Actually, I have a working Pocket Query system on GeocacheUK which will instantly give you a GPX file of all these caches, ready for loading into GSAK (assuming you're a premium member of GC.com, of course!). I just don't have permission from Groundspeak to switch it on. ;) The reason given is that they want to protect you from the perils of stale data. But..., but... b..b...but... !!! <_<

Temporarily unavailable caches can already be obtained through GC.com pocket queries, so that's the best way to get them into GSAK. But if you want, you can get lists of Unavailable or Archived caches, or alternatively just Temporarily Unavailable but not Archived caches from G:UK.

rutson wrote:

I started getting pocket queries of all uk caches a while back. Every now and then, one of them gets archived. I tend to work mainly from my data in GSAK. Of course, if a cache is archived, it will stop appearing in PQs and therefore GSAK will not update it as archived.

This is something that had concerned me too, as I've recently started using GSAK and CacheMate.

It's just occurred to me that the answer is simple. If a cache is archived then of course it won't be in the PQs, as you say. But all other caches will be. So any cache that shows in GSAK with a 'last update' date earlier than your most recent batch of PQs has been archived.

If you sort by 'last update' then you only have to check the user box for those then delete them.

Here's a basic cache list of Archived Caches.  But you'll still have to update GSAK manually, I'm afraid.

A nice link Ian but ... 900+ caches to manually enter into GSAK? I think not! There must be an easier (automated) way surely?

I'm sure some cacher/s out there already has complete/incomplete *.gpx file of archived caches.

As a matter of interest I have 119 'Archived or not available' in my GSAK database of 4200+.

rutson wrote:

I started getting pocket queries of all uk caches a while back. Every now and then, one of them gets archived. I tend to work mainly from my data in GSAK. Of course, if a cache is archived, it will stop appearing in PQs and therefore GSAK will not update it as archived.

This is something that had concerned me too, as I've recently started using GSAK and CacheMate.

It's just occurred to me that the answer is simple. If a cache is archived then of course it won't be in the PQs, as you say. But all other caches will be. So any cache that shows in GSAK with a 'last update' date earlier than your most recent batch of PQs has been archived.

If you sort by 'last update' then you only have to check the user box for those then delete them.

There has actually been a bit of discussion on this very issue recently in the GSAK thread.

It would appear there are some good work arounds. Please see this post and the ones following on the next page.

Edited by ClydeE
Here's a basic cache list of Archived Caches.  But you'll still have to update GSAK manually, I'm afraid.

A nice link Ian but ... 900+ caches to manually enter into GSAK? I think not! There must be an easier (automated) way surely?

I'm sure some cacher/s out there already has complete/incomplete *.gpx file of archived caches.

As a matter of interest I have 119 'Archived or not available' in my GSAK database of 4200+.

I have said GPX file of 900+ archived caches. If you would like a copy please email me through my profile (Premium/Charter members only please) and I will email it back to you. Being relatively new to this pastime, some of these old archived caches make interesting reading, especially all the teddy throwing that went on a couple of years ago :P , shame all that went on lets hope it is not repeated.

Please note that this file is rather large, once zipped it is 1.35mb.

Edited by Phillimore Clan