how many sattalights are there?

LoneHowler

ok refrencing back to a artical in this months discovery mag it said that there are 24 american GPS sattalights where my Rino labled one circling overhead as number 30, is my Canadain Rino picking up other counties perhaps even Canada's own GPS sattalights? or are there more american ones that they're not telling us about

More to see, More to do

There are currently 28 satellites in service. Only 24 are required and used at any one time. The others are spares and are switched in and out of use as needed. Current "prn" numbers which is the number you see on your gps run up to 31.(excluding WAAS sats). There are many more gps sats still up there that are no longer in service. PRN #30 is a block IIA satellite that was launched in sept. 96.

Poindexter

[This message was edited by Poindexter on January 29, 2003 at 06:12 AM.]

No Canadian GPS satellites. Not yet anyway icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHowler:

ok refrencing back to a artical in this months discovery mag it said that there are 24 american GPS sattalights where my Rino labled one circling overhead as number 30, is my Canadain Rino picking up other counties perhaps even Canada's own GPS sattalights? or are there more american ones that they're not telling us about

More to see, More to do

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

what happens to the 'junk' birds? are there any plans to scuttle them or send them of into space etc?

No. Under FCC regulations, the idle satellites are dedicated for use by Elvis Presley. He can communicate with fans, and also track the precise location of all Elvis impersonators worldwide. When an Elvis has left the building, he'll know the coordinates within +- 20 feet. This is the so-called EPS, or Elvis Positioning System.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

The reason for the new avatar and slogan can be found by reading this posting and its followup replies.

I would never, ever microwave or otherwise harm a cute, cuddly hamster. If I ever came across a hamster in distress, I would rescue it. SAVE THE HAMSTERS!

57636_1600.jpg

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

Currently there's 26. For quite some time up to a few months ago there was 28 but there's been 2 lost in recent times (21 & 22).

There's slots for 32 all up but the system spec is designed around 24 operational with 3 spares but normally if not on maintainence then they have all been available.

quote:
the idle satellites are dedicated for use by Elvis Presley

Actually the first satellite (SVN#1) was named Elvis and SVN#2 was Janis then the next got #3, #4 etc.

The last GPS satellite launched was back in Jan 2001. GPS II-R8 is due for launch from Cape Canaveral Jan 29 sometime between 1806 & 1820 GMT.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Actually as of around 2.14pm EST, GPS II-R8 has separated from the Delta 2 rocket so if all things go to plan there should be an additional Sat up and running in a few weeks. That will bring the total Sats up to 27 (24+3)

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

what happens to the 'junk' birds? are there any plans to scuttle them or send them of into space etc?

No. Under FCC regulations, the idle satellites are dedicated for use by Elvis Presley. He can communicate with fans, and also track the precise location of all Elvis impersonators worldwide. When an Elvis has left the building, he'll know the coordinates within +- 20 feet. This is the so-called EPS, or Elvis Positioning System.

Too much now that cracked me up! EPS -- good one!

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHowler:

It would appear that the satellite question has been answered. How many spelling and grammatical errors are there in the question? I count, conservatively, nine spelling and six grammatical errors. Nevertheless, it’s still a really good question. icon_wink.gif

Just being a smartass...

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/