New to Geocaching - well, haven't actually started YET

BuffaloNickel

I use a basic, no-frills Garmin eTrex Yellow GPSr. It does not have the memory to allow you to download or display maps on the GPSr screen but batteries last much longer in it so there is your tradeoff.

A metal detector will come in handy if you get interested in benchmark hunting. Many of these benchmarks are 4" round brass disks mounted in various places around the country. Quite a few in my area seem to be lost in weeds and tall grass along side old train tracks.

Lou Catozzi

AKA TxHiPowr

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Cheap and good? I hate magellans but their

Well, I hate Garmins, so there... icon_razz.gif

If ya go Magellan, I would suggest the Meridian Green/Yellow, or the Gold. Basically do what the SporTraks do, but with expandable memory, and are priced lower, too.

BuffaloNickel,

I've been thinkin I'd like to get a metal detector to help with the benchmarking, and to see what else I could dig up. icon_smile.gif

Any suggestions on what brand of decent, basic detector to get? And how much I would expect to pay? Nothing fancy, low to middle-end I would expect.....

Thanx!

Once you find your 1st cache, you'll be hooked.... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

In Canada, you can get a Magellan 315 for about $125.00 at Canadian Tire... in U$, this is about a coffee and two trinkets.

It does not have colour, it does not have free floating tri-axis compass, and it does not have expandable memory, but I've been using mine for more than 4 years, and I would not change for anything.

Thanks for your reply! I'll check into the Garmin eTrex. I thought about those along with the Magellen's... who knows what I'll end up with. Ease of use is going to be a big factor! icon_wink.gif

As far as metal detectors... I use a Fisher CZ7a... it's one of the more expensive ones (around $900 when I got it as a gift) but they have lower end machines, and I've never heard negative feedback on them. Fishers are dependable, easy to learn, and their depth is greater than most. Some people say they really like iron, but I've found if you discriminate iron out, you certainly can eliminate false "finds" and a lot of trash. Whites are good too, but much harder to use in my opinion.

happy hunting!

D

Do you mind telling me why you hate Magellan's? Just wondering. I have heard a lot of good stuff about them and am curious as to why you don't like them. Of course, I don't have a GPS and never have so, i'm definitely a newbie!

You can get a good metal detector for $200-$300. It sure is a fun hobby! I've heard that a lot of MDers hunt around benchmarks as there could be old homesteads or old traffic areas near them.

Thanks for your comments!

Happy Hunting!

D

I'm looking at the Magellan Meridian... the yellow one. That and the Garmin Etrex. Don't know yet which one I'll get. I'm leaning towards the Magellan though.

Metal detectors..... I use a Fisher CZ7a which runs around $900.00. It's an awsome machine! I've enjoyed every minute metal detecting with it, and it was a "turn on and go"..... very easy to use and a deep seeker and all that. But if you don't want to spend that much, you should look at the 1200 series...the Fisher 1225X runs around $200-$250 and is a good machine. No LCB display like mine, but you learn what the tones sound like for different objects. White's also makes a good machine, but in my opinion (and everyone has an opinion, sorta like... well, nevermind) they are harder to learn than Fisher. Maybe you'll have a few rebuttals to my comment, which is fine. You can never have too much info!

But if I ever get another metal detector, it'll be another Fisher.

Happy hunting!

D

I got a GPS with a map, because I use it for driving (just moved here recently, and I don't know my way around), and intend to use it with a boat.

If all I wanted was something to cache with, I would choose a non-map GPS, but with a good antenna.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

I recently got started doing this too. I got an etrex for a little over $100. It works great and on the 3 caches I have found, led me to within 30 feet or so each time. However, it loses signal lock frequently both in the car and in the woods, but only for short periods. And when you stand still it can't point toward the cache because it only measures direction via movement. From what I understand, the Magellens rarely lose signal lock, and many models have built in compasses in your price range (Garmin models with compass cost $$ although you may find one in your price range via a sale). BUT the etrex is only slightly larger than my cell phone, has a good battery life, and works well enough that I have had no problems finding caches (or home, or work, or the grocery store, or anywhere else I have 'marked'). I notice the shortcomings of the etrex, but like the small size and one handed operation a lot.

One thing I found disconcerting though - not only is there a fairly decent amount of location error with low priced GPSr's, the error fluctuates. I mark my parking spot in front of my house, go to the store, and return. Sitting in the same parking spot the GPSr sometimes tells me my spot is 80' further. The error when I originally marked, compounded by the current position error, no doubt. If I were ever to place a cache, I would worry about getting accurate coordinates based on my experiences with the etrex so far.

[This message was edited by hostetter on February 24, 2003 at 07:12 PM.]

used to be my favorite pastime until I discovered geocaching! Got a Garmin Vista for Christmas and haven't even looked at the metal detector since. Course it is winter here in Colorado and not much chance of detecting in the snow and frozrn ground. Know you will love geocaching. Good luck deciding what to get!!

someone emailed me without posting on the board and told me pretty much the same thing about the etrex. Now that I have 2 people commenting thus, it makes me wonder....

I'm still trying to decide, but the Magellan Meridan is in the lead! Thanks very much for your comments, and once I get my GPS, I can't wait to start!

Happy Hunting,

D

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels!"

You don't metal detect anymore? Maybe you should take your MDer with ya when you geocache! I haven't been too much myself lately.... I've run out of places to go! But with a GPS and benchmarks, I think that opens up a whole new avenue! When I go geocaching, I will be toting my metal detecter too! Hey... you can't beat it... two great hobbies that can work in conjunction with each other! I'll let ya know how it goes!

H.H.!

D

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels!"

Hi BuffaloNickle, i too am a metal detector nut that got into Geocaching. I have a Minelab Excalibur 800. I have paid for it three or four times over with gold i have found at the beaches in the water. I geocache with a Magellan gold and love it. I just placed my second cache, it was under heavy trees and the good ol magellan did not have a problem keeping 6 sats in lock. Keep up the good work

icon_smile.gif

Altree

(you will not starve with a p38 and a can of food)