I've Come Up With A Plan For The Gc Cito Bags

fly46

Since they won't fit in film canisters, how about just folding them up and keeping them closed with rubber bands and dropping them into caches that way?

And I'm not sure how small they roll up, but they might fit in Mini's containers, especially the king sized tubes.

Since they won't fit in film canisters, how about just folding them up and keeping them closed with rubber bands and dropping them into caches that way?

And I'm not sure how small they roll up, but they might fit in Mini's containers, especially the king sized tubes.

:POR perhaps the small ZIP-LOCK bags (2X3 / 3X4 / 4X6) :D

Edited by Mzee & Associates

I simply use little cardboard hang-tags (Avery Shipping Tags, 2-3/4" x 1-3/8"), tie the tag around a rolled-up yellow Groundspeak CITO bag, and leave one in the caches that I visit. The tag allows ample space to attach a small label w/ the necessary info, and this avoids having to use an extra container for the bag.

:blink:OR perhaps the small ZIP-LOCK bags (2X3 / 3X4 / 4X6) :blink:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Part of the reason of using film canisters and the like is so that you re-use items hanging around.

If that is the case, wouldn't the official CITO bags defeat the purpose too? I CITO quite often during my caching trips, and usually use plastic bags that have served at least once before.

Example: I buy apples. I pack them in a complimentary plastic fruit bags available in the grocery store (USAGE #1). At home I put the apples in the bowl, and put the empty fruit bag in the drawer. Next day I leave for a cache hunt, and make some sandwiches and pack them in the yesterday's plastic bag and take them with me (USAGE #2). During the caching trip I eat my sandwiches, and if I see trash along the trails, I fill the fruit bag with them (USAGE #3). I drop the trash bag into the nearest bin. The plastic bag served three different times, and I didn't have to buy it separately.

I understand the advertising and muggle-affecting value of GC CITO bags, and yes, they are way bigger than your average grocery store fruit bags, and being quite big and strong they serve quite good in CITO events. But for an ordinary geocaching trip, where I occasionally CITO, I definitely don't see the point to purposely buy plastic bags, since I get them all the time from my normal shopping. Also bigger than the fruit bag kind.

i've been using the standard plastic grocery bags that i get from shopping all the time. i went so far as to buy a kitchen garbage can that is designed for using these. haven't bought a garbage bag in about 7 years now. it just means i need to take the trash out a bit more frequently which isn't that big a deal to me.

i won't be buying specially printed bags for the purpose of removing trash, but i will be using the 35 mm film container idea and adding these into appropriate caches.

good tip!

i've been using the standard plastic grocery bags that i get from shopping all the time

And these bags _will_ fit into a film can <_<

I've started doing this too, never any shortage of Walmart bags at my house. The 35mm canisters fit great in a fanny pack, and the small plastic bags are much better for short, in-and-out cache hikes, when I don't have time to fill up a big trash bag, or where I just don't want to attact too much attention carrying this great, big, freakin', glowin' yellow trash bag!

Everyone carrying out one small bag of trash on every hike would do more to clean an area up than one or 2 people filling up a big ole CITO bag once or twice a year.

I've used the 'kitchen can bags'.  If you get the cheap ones, without the drawstring, you can fit them into a film canister.

Ditto

Last year, we loaded over 2000 film cans, with two bags in each.

Start by folding, the store shopping bag, length wise.

When you get the width down, to 1/8 fold, they should be rolled up.

You then can insert them, with little trouble, into the film cans.

SF1

I have to post again.. You guys are making a VERY good point. The idea is to reduce waste in the environment. Here people are spending perfectly good cach to go and buy specially made plastic bags so they can throw them into a dumpster with the gathered trash. That CITO bag also ends up in the environement, like a landfill. And you've produced extra waste in the process. I too reuse bags that have already been reused once or so.

I understand the advertising and muggle-affecting

I totally agree with you on this one.. but using that horid made up word linked to another to form what, an adjective? Awful!

Heh, that's probably how one can tell that English is not my native language. Hope I still made my point despite all the English-abusing. :laughing: