Recommended Gps/software In Uk

Mr'D

Hi,

Today we located the 1st of a 2 part multi-cache. The 1st cache gave us the co-ords of the main cache - maybe 5 miles away.

We fed the co-ords into our ETREX YELLOW, and headed off (by car) in the indicated direction.

After 20 mins' we had to give up, as we could not locate the correct roads to get near the cache.

We came back to basecamp to input the given co-ords into multimap, get the printed map, and to return another day!

What recommended GPS/software could have helped us to the final cache location on our first attempt?

Thank you.

Jon & Lesley

It all depends on what gadgets you want to fork out for!

Usually I print out paper maps for the area we intend to go caching in using Memory-Map on the home PC.

We use a Streetpilot 3 in the car in conjuction with a handheld Vista for the legwork. We bulk download caches into the SP3, the Vista and into Cachemate (in old Palm IIIxe).

The SP3 gets us close to the cache via the roads, the Vista does the closing in and Cachemate deals the paperwork.

We often use the "direct-line" approach on holiday where we do not have detailed maps available. More exciting at the time but very inefficient!

Hi Jon. I'm surpriseded you don't run a PDA. We have an IPAQ 4150 with Memory Map installed. The maps are the familiar Landranger OS maps and it's dead easy to upload info to the PDA which shows all caches. In the cache of the mulit you mention, the co-ordinates of the "next" cache could easily be inserted into the prog so that a symbol immediately appears on the map. There are several ways of doing this but they are all dead easy.

Your GPS could easily be linked to a PDA to provide real-time readout of your position, both in the car and when you are out walking.

If you want any more info email me at the usual address.

Bren

Thanks for these replies.

PDA seems the way to go - will explore the possibilities.

Thanks,

Jon

PDAs are expensive and fragile - not recommended for Geocaching. First time you drop it in a creek or hit it against a rock... well, you get the picture.

Stay with that eTrex for a few caches and see if you still enjoy it after 5 or 10 finds. If you continue to like it, spend a little more for a mapping unit like a Garmin Legend, Vista, GPSMAP 60 or 76 series unit.

You could try going to MULTIMAP.COM's Web site. Click down to the approximate location. After clicking on the general area, look down in the box below the map where it says "Map Information". In that information, you'll see the "web address". That web address contains the latitude and longitude coordinates (of where you clicked) on it (in hddd.ddddd° format).

You can copy the web address, and paste it into Web address/URL field of your browser, and then edit the coordinates to the actual coordiantes of the cache. Then press the "Enter" key and then keep clicking in the red circle.

Since geocaching uses hddd° mm.mmm' format, be sure to convert to hddd.ddddd°.

Also, since you live in England, be especially mindful of + (east) or - (west) of Greenwich

Edited by Neo_Geo

Depends what you mean by Fragile, PDA, and Expensive. If you keep it in a hard case and only get it out of the pocket when you need to refer to it, they are very durable.

As for expensive, a colour PDA (Palm) with enough memory to show Landranger maps and memory card support will set you back less than $100 on ebay.

The software to show the maps may set you back much more than the PDA.

Thanks for feedback.

I have been pleased with the Etrex Yellow, and after 100 finds feel comfortable in its use.

I normally plan caching trips by inputting both the cache co-ords and nearest parking co-ords into streetmap/multimap, and take the printout of the map with me.

The shortcoming of the Etrex was that, having got to part 1 of a cache and obtained the co-ords of the 2nd part, it was (quite surprisingly) VERY difficult to navigate around UK country roads and get to the designated point without the physical map. Turn off to follow the arrow, and then find the road shoots off 90 degrees for 2 miles!....

More homework by me is required.

Thanks guys,

Jon

Depends what you mean by Fragile, PDA, and Expensive. If you keep it in a hard case and only get it out of the pocket when you need to refer to it, they are very durable.

As for expensive, a colour PDA (Palm) with enough memory to show Landranger maps and memory card support will set you back less than $100 on ebay.

The software to show the maps may set you back much more than the PDA.

When I'm caching, I've got my GPSr in my hands the whole time - either watching the trail in front of me, or looking at the GPSr. It seems impractical to take it out of the case, and then put it back in, and then back out again - especially if you've got a GPSr tethered to it. Seems like the perfect opportunity to fumble it.

PDAs have their place in the GPS world, and I.M.H.O., it's not on the geocaching trail.

My GPSr sits in an Aquapac hanging from my neck with the lead attached. That gives me two free hands, which is two more than I would have with one hand holding the GPSr and one holding a map.

With two free hands, I can link up the PDA if I want to, or just use it independantly from the GPSr. If it is raining the PDA will be in an Aquapac as well.

I have never taken a piece of paper, or a map when caching, it is all on my PDA.

Well, I for one can say that I've never taken a PDA along with me - it's all there for me on a piece of paper - which if it hits a rock or falls in the creek and gets wet and ruined, it's no big deal.

And I never have anything dangling around my neck while hiking - I prefer not to give natural selection that great of an opportunity to remove me from the gene pool. ;)

The maps? Well... they're on my GPSMAP 60C. <_<

Edited by Neo_Geo