Do You Take Protective Plastic Sheet Off Screen?

jkibbe

I have my first GPSr coming in the mail in a few days. I was wondering if people tend to peel off the protective sheet that will likely be on the screen for that nice, shiny look, or leave it on to prevent scratches. I'm borrowing a yellow eTrex that still has it on; that's why I'm asking. It seems to offer some level of protection, though it might look nice without it.

I hope this wasn't too dumb of a question... :)

I have used a PDA screen protector on my GPSr. I bought some that were larger and then cut them to size. This may be what you are seeing on that GPSr.

Thanks for the advice & info! Maybe that's what I'm seeing, or maybe it similar stuff either way...

Leave it on until it starts peeling off the edges then take it off. It will protect it for a while. Be warned though, if you hand it to a friend, tell them to leave it alone. For some reason people think it is ok just to take this off of someone elses gear, like the owner didn't think to do that. Can you tell I am a bit bitter?...

I use a protector on my PDA, but in that case you're constantly raking the screen with the stylus (or whatever else may be handy!). :)

I took the shipping protector off my GPSr right away and didn't put anything on the screen - no problems with scratches in 18 months.

I put the GPSr in a belt holster when I'm not holding it, and use the wrist strap when I am holding it, to avoid dropping it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I prefer having maximum visibility and I don't think it will get scratched unless you're careless with it.

Edited by Kai Team
I like going bare.

Me too. My experience is that these plastic (Lexan) screens (on GPSs, digital cameras, etc) are fairly scratch resistant and usually any scratches they get don't present a problem seeing them. Also, buy the time they get very scratched up the thing will be obsolete anyway.

If I got one I'd get the kind that clings by static electricity rather than one that uses an adhesive. Just my opinions.

I have my first GPSr coming in the mail in a few days. I was wondering if people tend to peel off the protective sheet that will likely be on the screen for that nice, shiny look, or leave it on to prevent scratches. I'm borrowing a yellow eTrex that still has it on; that's why I'm asking. It seems to offer some level of protection, though it might look nice without it.

I hope this wasn't too dumb of a question... :)

My yellow eTrex came with a screen cover that had a screen image printed on it - thus it had to be taken off. Chances are that the one that you're using has a PDA protector on it.

I am sorry that I can't remember the name of the company, but there is an internet company out there that will sell custom fit screen protectors for any GPS. They are cheaper than the PDA screen protectors that you buy and have to cut down.

I didn't protect my Magellan SporTrak Pro until I had a scratch on the screen, so when I purchased my new 60CS I ordered screen protectors at the same time. I may be a little slow, but I do learn. ( all right no comments) :P

I"d like to know who that is. I've been very carefull with my 60cs and it already has some minor scratches. If you geocache enough you will eventually scratch it. I know I'm pushing my luck. I dropped it face down the other day in some rocks and just about screamed. I thought for sure it was going to have a nice big scratch but it didn't. They are pretty tough, but only so far. I want to get mine covered before it's too late.

Hey I too have my gps comeing in a few days. Bought the yellow etrex from bestbuy.com for 49.99. How resistant to the "elements" are they i.e. water mositure ect.

Peace

Ted

Quite a few of us use the Yellow.

They're just as good as any other eTrex.

All of them are waterproof.