Buying Tbs

peatry

Hi there! I am very NEW to this. My husband and I are trying to get active together while having fun. He came across this and we are just going out to try it for the first time Sunday. We are wanting to leave a TB behind. But, we cannot figure out where to buy one at. Are they at our local Sporting good places or are they hard to find (the barcodes). Can someon PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!??

With much thanks! :blink:

About the best pricing for travel bugs is by ordering them from Groundspeak using their travel bug order page and paying via paypal: Order travel bugs here - this link is only good for ordering travel bugs. If you want to order other geocaching merchandise, you can visit the Groundspeak store at Groundspeak store

Some caches may actually have travel bug starter kits which contain unactivated travel bugs in them...

Happy caching...

IS there a way of buying just the barcode or something like some people add them to toys like matchbox cars and stuff. How does that work? Thank you all for helping me!

That is exactly what you do. You will receive a tag and a chain then you put that on any object you want to make a bug, activate it then release it into the wild in a cache somewhere.

IS there a way of buying just the barcode or something like some people add them to toys like matchbox cars and stuff. How does that work? Thank you all for helping me!

That is a good question, do you have to attach the TB to the item or can you keep the tb and just add the ID number to an item, This would work well for me since I just ordered two tbs and one is destined for "The Spike of DOOM" a rail road spike that I found, cleaned up and painted black with rustoleum. For the life of me I cant figure out how i am going to attach the tb to the spike. Zip Ties wont work since they would just slide off the pointed end of the spike.

Any ideas.?

P.S. I also tried to drill a hole in the spike but i guess my drill just wasnt up to it. (Now im off to home depot to buy another drill to replace it. may it rest in peace.)

TBs are wonderful. I like them.

Two thoughts:

1. Be prepared to lose them. They don't always come back.

2. Consider making a personal TB. Take it with you to every cache you go to. Log it. Maybe take a photo at the cache. Then take it with you to the next cache. When you log on GC.com, drop the TB in the cache, then retrieve it. This will keep track of all the caches you go to and give you a map of all the places you have cached. I started my own personal TB after I had been caching for some time. I wish I had started at the first cache.

Since you will not have time to order and receive your bug by Sunday, you can look for one in a cache and then place it in another one you do.

Just be sure you write down the code # on a piece of paper so you can log the bug out of one cache and into the next one. I forgot once and had to return to get the #'s so I could log it properly. It's a good thing it was still there.

TBs are wonderful. I like them.

Two thoughts:

1. Be prepared to lose them. They don't always come back.

2. Consider making a personal TB. Take it with you to every cache you go to. Log it. Maybe take a photo at the cache. Then take it with you to the next cache. When you log on GC.com, drop the TB in the cache, then retrieve it. This will keep track of all the caches you go to and give you a map of all the places you have cached. I started my own personal TB after I had been caching for some time. I wish I had started at the first cache.

At the risk of being accused of hijacking a thread, is the theory of a personal TB allowed?

I am planning a days caching tomorrow, picking up and dropping off TBs as we go. Can I drop and retrieve the same bug at each cache? That would be cool if I can. At least the bugs journey would be better documented. I will have dropped them all off by the time I get home.

I will remember their numbers.

I apologise for any hijacking that may have just occured.

Some people do personal travel bugs, although I don't understand why. IMHO, it defeats the purpose of a TB: the fun is seeing where other people take it and what they say in the logs, plus how long it takes it to achieve it's goal if you've set an end point. The only advantage might be that TB's do disappear with alarming frequency - that's less likely to happen if you never release it. :)

As for maintaining a list of all the caches you've visited, geocaching.com does that for you on your My Account Details Page. (Click on "geocaches" at the top of the page, then click on "found it").

Uploading photos? You can do that with your cache log and share them with everyone.

Having a map of your cache finds? Generate a pocket query of caches you've found, then load it into mapping software on your computer (after passing it through something like GSAK). GSAK will also allow track your found caches and you can add notes to the entries in the database if you wish. This way you're not dependent on GC.com for all of your geocaching history if the site is down or slow or ever eliminates the TB mapping feature.

Finally, I don't want to double log every cache I find (one for the cache and one for the personal TB), and would rather spend my time saying something meaningful in the cache log (which I can always access through the account details page above).

I guess it's one of those different strokes for different folks sort of things.

Edit: fixed the link to GSAK, some other minor stuff.

Edited by Kai Team