Upgrade Or Not?

SAPD

I had a chance to use my new Garmin 60CS on the raod today. I had uploaded several maps from Mapsource but did not think that the would autoroute. I am using Version 6.3 of Mapsource and did not realize that Metroguide is a program within Mapsource. Anyway, I found out that I have Version 3.0 of Metroguide and it worked great, allowing my 60CS to autoroute right to my destination. My question is, since my version of Metroguide works with autorouting is there any reason to buy City Select V.6 like I had planned? I do not travel a whole lot but are the upgrades worth the new expense. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not if you're still happy with the MG-USA maps and POI data. The version that auto-routes is about three years old and is therefore a bit dated in areas with newer roads and developments. And certainly many restaurants and other businesses have changed since it came out. The routing capabilities of CS are also somewhat better with more data on one-ways, turn restrictions, and other factors that may affect the route.

OTOH, your older version of MG is still better in some rural areas and generally has better data on shorelines, rivers, and marine NAVaids.

I had a chance to use my new Garmin 60CS on the raod today. I had uploaded several maps from Mapsource but did not think that the would autoroute. I am using Version 6.3 of Mapsource and did not realize that Metroguide is a program within Mapsource. Anyway, I found out that I have Version 3.0 of Metroguide and it worked great, allowing my 60CS to autoroute right to my destination. My question is, since my version of Metroguide works with autorouting is there any reason to buy City Select V.6 like I had planned? I do not travel a whole lot but are the upgrades worth the new expense. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Interesting,

when I tried MG v3 on my 60CS it not only wouldn't autoroute but wouldn't find address. I believe I used latest version of MapSource at that time. Anyway v3 maps are pretty outdated atleast in my area.

Edited by vr12

Interesting,

when I tried MG v3 on my 60CS it not only wouldn't autoroute but wouldn't find address. I believe I used latest version of MapSource at that time. Anyway v3 maps are pretty outdated atleast in my area.

It could be that when you sent the map data from MapSource to your GPSr, that you did NOT check the little box labeled "Include Route Calculation Data". It is located in the lower left corner of the "Maps" tab in MapSource. It'll be grayed-out if you don't have any maps selected, or if selected maps are not autoroutable. If your maps ARE autoroutable, and the box is NOT checked, you're GPSr will not receive the routing data with the maps, and your autorouting GPSr will not autoroute (properly). It is a fairly common mistake.

I was TERRIBLY disappointed with how MetroGuide 4 worked with my 60C. The accuracy is way off in many areas (including where I live), and autorouting generated turn-by-turn instructions with errors. I tried generating three different routes, and all three produced errors. To me, the difference between MG4 and City Select 5 is like the difference between riding a tricycle and driving a Cadillac!

But if you're happy with it, then that's all that really matters to you! :blink:

Edited by Neo_Geo

Interesting,

when I tried MG v3 on my 60CS it not only wouldn't autoroute but wouldn't find address. I believe I used latest version of MapSource at that time. Anyway v3 maps are pretty  outdated atleast in my area.

It could be that when you sent the map data from MapSource to your GPSr, that you did NOT check the little box labeled "Include Route Calculation Data". It is located in the lower left corner of the "Maps" tab in MapSource. It'll be grayed-out if you don't have any maps selected, or if selected maps are not autoroutable. If your maps ARE autoroutable, and the box is NOT checked, you're GPSr will not receive the routing data with the maps, and your autorouting GPSr will not autoroute (properly). It is a fairly common mistake.

It is selected by default atleast when you download CS maps

I know that MG v4 have autorouting, v3 doesn't.

My experience - MG v3 is completely unusable on 60CS and I seriously doubt original post.

vr12

Wow, not used to being called a liar by a total stranger. I suppose that your "experience" is the sum of all knowledge. Have you tried Ver. 3 on a 60CS or are just assuming that to be the case. Before you start doubting my post in this open forum please explain to me your "experience" and where you get all your information.

vr12

Wow, not used to being called a liar by a total stranger. I suppose that your "experience" is the sum of all knowledge. Have you tried Ver. 3 on a 60CS or are just assuming that to be the case. Before you start doubting my post in this open forum please explain to me your "experience" and where you get all your information.

It's been brought up before. That Metroguide seemed to route and the 60 user was happy. Then they came back and posted that it didn't work like they thought it did.

I don't know about ver 3 as opposed to the others. You could of got lucky, or maybe it does work. But with only one attempt your post sounds like others that have come before saying much the same thing.

Test it out. Maybe Version 3 is the key. Maybe you did get lucky the one time. Let us know.

Have you tried Ver. 3 on a 60CS or are just assuming that to be the case. Before you start doubting my post in this open forum please explain to me your "experience" and where you get all your information.

1. I think I said that I tried it and it was completely unusable.

2. it is the first time when somebody have autorouting in MG v3.

I think you have MG v4.

Garmin's version numbering is not always very clear and the result is that two people can both think they have version 3.0 of MetroGuide-USA but actually have different versions that have quite different features.

When you buy MetroGuide (or one of the other Garmin map sets), you get both the MetroGuide mapset data and the MapSource program on the CDROMs. Garmin has marketed the mapping products using the version number of the included MapSource program which may not be the same as the version number of the MetroGuide data.

So if you bought something called MetroGuide-USA, version 3.0 it actually came with MetroGuide data version 2.0 and MapSource version 3.0. This version doesn't support auto-routing at all and has rather large map regions which typically occupy about 7 MB each.

Similarly, if you bought something called MetroGuide-USA, version 4.01 it actually had MG data version 3.0 and MapSource 4.01. This is the version that does support auto-routing, both on your PC and GPS and it has map regions of various sizes but averaging a little under 1 MB each. This is presumably what the original poster has.

You can find the version numbers under the Help menu in MapSource by clicking on 'About MapSource..' The MapSource version number appears right under the name. If you then click on 'Product Info ...' you get a page that gives the version numbers of any mapsets you have loaded like MetroGuide.

It's been brought up before. That Metroguide seemed to route and the 60 user was happy. Then they came back and posted that it didn't work like they thought it did.

Can you give a link ? the only thread about MG v3 I remember is mine where I complained that it couldn't find an address.

So if you bought something called MetroGuide-USA, version 3.0 it actually came with MetroGuide data version 2.0 and MapSource version 3.0.  This version doesn't support auto-routing at all and has rather large map regions which typically occupy about 7 MB each. 

Similarly, if you bought something called MetroGuide-USA, version 4.01 it actually had MG data version 3.0 and MapSource 4.01.

It explains it, The version number I (and most people)use is the number written on CD itself which would be MapSource version number.

Edited by vr12

I went back to the About Mapsource page. It says that I have Mapsource Ver. 6.3, and Metroguide Ver. 3.0. I will take the advise of Renegade Knight and spend a bit more time working the program to see if it continues to Autoroute. I appreciate all the useful information. Thank you Peter for clearing that up.

Edited by SAPD
I went back to the About Mapsource page. It says that I have Mapsource Ver. 6.3, and Metroguide Ver. 3.0. I will take the advise of Renegade Knight and spend a bit more time working the program to see if it continues to Autoroute.  I appreciate all the useful information.

It (according to Peter) tells us that you have MG v4 CD.

Edited by vr12

Right, running Metroguide Ver. 3.0, which was what I originally said before you started having serious doubts about my post.

In any case, my original post was to ask about Metroguide vs. City Select. At this point I think I will stick with Metroguide and see how it work out. It might be a little out of date in some of the newer subdivisions but I can live with that. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again Peter for your assistance.

For version 5, MetroGuide is for Non-autorouting units while City Select is for autorouting. I'm pretty sure the new version 6 is the same way. As far as I can tell, other than autorouting and price, the two are the same. Same map accuracy and points of interest.

Since MG4 does autorouting (in it's own flawed way), I'm not sure what the difference is between the version 4 titles.

Edited by Neo_Geo

My understanding is different vendors of the data and so early versions of Metroguide had better information than early versions of City Select. Especially in rural areas.

However Garmin says Metroguide will not work on the 60 series. Where City Select will. So far that's been borne out by people who have tried. However I'm not sure they were using as old a version of Metroguide as the OP has.

I'll edit with a link if I can find a discussion on it.

I'm not familiar with City Select 3 (or 2 or whatever), so I can't say what did autorouting back then.

If the Op was using a title that does not autoroute, then it routed because the basemap did the autorouting. The Op was very lucky to have routed between two points that happened to be on the basemap.

I suggest that SAPD try several different known routes (home to work, home to grandma's house and work to a friend's house) and see if he would actually drive those routes.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I considered that it may be routing from the base map, so I removed the Metroguide maps that I had installed for my area. When I went back and looked over my origianl track several of the streets, including the one with my final destination, were not present. I reinstalled the maps and the streets were back. When I originally set the destination up and entered "Go To" the unit set up a differnet route then what I intended to take. I took my intended route and my 60CS recalculated to that route and all the turns were right on the money. It has been suggested by a couple of people, with more experience then me, that I test it out more before making a judgement. I find this to be sound advise. I will set up several more routes and see what happens. I will continue to keep everyone informed of what the results are. Thanks

I'm not familiar with City Select 3 ...

City Select 3 was pretty good in metro areas. It wasn't much better than the basemap outside metro areas. It was also set up in regions. Since then you get North America in one fell swoop. Plus coverage of rural areas improved a lot. I skipped 4 and bought 5 only to have Salt Lake City (the reason I got it) bring it to it's knees. Find "1200 4500 North St" doesn't compute well in auto routing. The street was on the map but the ability to find it let alone an address when it started with a number wasn't there.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Find "1200 4500 North St" doesn't compute well in auto routing.  The street was on the map but the ability to find it let alone an address when it started with a number wasn't there.

Ya gotta admit that's almost a trick question! :blink:

Are you sure there's not an E or a W preceding the 4500? What are the coordinates for that address?

I admit that numbered streets can create a bit of a challenge for beginners, but after a little practice, I never had any problems with them in New York, DC or Roanoke, Virginia.

Edited by Neo_Geo

As I recall, the initial versions of City Select and City Navigator were sold as v4.00 with the GPS V and Street Pilot III respectively. This was the first street map data that Garmin got from NavTeq (NavTech at that time) and it had the best metro coverage available but had major gaps in rural coverage. Previously Garmin had the Roads&Recreation maps using TIGER data and the more detailed MetroGuide maps using TeleAtlas/ETAK data.

The MetroGuide 4.01 maps were primarily intended for use on units without auto-routing but were also offered as somewhat of a stopgap for people who bought the SP III and were disappointed at its lack of rural data with the CN maps. That's presumably why that version of MG-USA is the only one that supports auto-routing on the GPS unit.

NavTeq worked to correct their rural coverage problem by incorporating TIGER data for the rural areas together with their previous metro data and the result was v4.01 of CS/CN, but it still wasn't as good in many rural areas as MG-USA. A year later NavTeq had further improved their coverage/accuracy and Garmin switched to them as the supplier of the MG-USA maps as well starting with version 5 and now MG-NA version 6.

So from version 5 on, the map data of MG-USA (now NA), CS-NA, and CN-NA has all come from NavTeq and is identical. The products differ in their auto-routing with MG-USA/NA not supporting it at all on the GPS unit, CS-NA providing full auto-routing but with somewhat abbreviated verbal directions for certain turns, and CN-NA providing full support for the Street Pilot series.

Find "1200 4500 North St" doesn't compute well in auto routing.  The street was on the map but the ability to find it let alone an address when it started with a number wasn't there.

Ya gotta admit that's almost a trick question! :)

Are you sure there's not an E or a W preceding the 4500? What are the coordinates for that address?

I admit that numbered streets can create a bit of a challenge for beginners, but after a little practice, I never had any problems with them in New York, DC or Roanoke, Virginia.

After you asked I had to look. You are right there is another direction on them.

You end up with addresses like 422 E 400 South.

(Zoom in two clicks on the link)

Edited by Renegade Knight