Legend C Question

Idaho Ron

When using TOPO, all the autorouting appears to be done using the basemap. It doesn't appear to recognise any of the routes or trails on TOPO. You can load road maps and the topo maps and switch between them, but this often doesn't work on logging roads etc as they aren't listed with the street mapping products

The map set has to have auto routing information built into it.

Only Metroguide and City Select have that information built in.  I'm not sure if Metroguide will work with the Legend.  Check with Garmin's site, it should tell you supported maps.

No autorouting in TOPO.

No autorouting in Roads & Rec.

Autorouting only available in MetroGuide 4 (and possibly lower versions).

No autorouting on the GPSr using MetroGuide 5 or 6! But you can autoroute on the computer, and upload those routes to NON-AUTOROUTING GPSrs. Ironically, if you upload a computer-generated route to an autorouting GPSr, it WON'T work!!!

Any autorouting done on a GPSr with TOPO, R&R, MetroGuide 5 or 6 or WorldMap is being done by the unit's basemap!

City Select 5 is "Da Bomb"! I haven't upgraded to 6 yet - haven't felt the need.

Edited by Neo_Geo
I don't have one yet. Can the legend C auto route with TOPO? Will it auto route in the desert where the roads are not named? thanks

Ron

As mentioned above, it will not route with TOPO.

I tried a route From Kimberly, NV to Hard Rocks, AZ using City Select. I drew these towns out of thin air because they looked to be pretty far removed from civilization. It routed.

Do you have a particular test in mind...?

Garmin does list "Routable trails" as a feature of the Topo24K series covering National Parks and selected recreation areas, so presumably the auto-routing feature would work with those maps, but I don't have them available to test.

I agree with the previous posters that the only other Garmin US map products with auto-routing support for the GPS unit are City Select/Navigator-NA (all versions) and MG-USA, version 4 *only*.

I agree with the previous posters that the only other Garmin US map products with auto-routing support for the GPS unit are City Select/Navigator-NA (all versions) and MG-USA, version 4 *only*.

MetroGuide USA v3 will also autoroute on the GPS but the map data will be a bit outdated. The selectable map segments are also quite large compared to newer versions.

MetroGuide USA v3 will also autoroute on the GPS but the map data will be a bit outdated. The selectable map segments are also quite large compared to newer versions.

What was sold as and is usually referred to as version 3.0 of MG-USA was the version that came with v3.0 of MapSource and v2.0 of the MG mapset data. That version had large map regions with most being about 7 MB and had no auto-routing capability either for use on a PC or on a GPS receiver.

The next version of MG-USA was sold as version 4.01 and came with MapSource 4.01 and MG data 3.0. This version had much smaller region sizes averaging a little under 1 MB each. It was the first to support auto-routing and does so both on a PC and on appropriate GPS receivers, including the LegendC in this thread.

It's not clear which of these two versions of MG-USA you're thinking of above. The comment about large region sizes makes it sound like the v3.0 product (with 2.0 data), but that version can't support auto-routing in any form.

It's not clear which of these two versions of MG-USA you're thinking of above.  The comment about large region sizes makes it sound like the v3.0 product (with 2.0 data), but that version can't support auto-routing in any form.

The version I'm referring to is simply MetroGuide USA (no version number), data version 3 (the data version is obtained using MapSource/Help/about MapSource and looking at the data versions of the installed products). I'm unclear if this is the version 3 that you are referring to because the product is titled simply MetroGuide USA. I have it loaded and running on two different PCs and yes, it does support autorouting on both the PC and the GPS.

Edited by SergZak

Sounds like the version that was sold as version 4.01 or simply version 4. Look on the CD itseld to the right side of the hole under the "Disk x of 2" it should say "Version 4.01". Mine also gives the Version 4.01 number on the back of the jewel box on the sticker that also has the serial number. Some of the ones sold later say version 4.02, but the map data is the same. You're right that the version number of the map data itself is 3.0, but the product is still the one usually called MG-USA, version 4.

You're right that this is the version which supports auto-routing on the GPS unit as well as on your PC, but it doesn't have particularly large map regions - the average is a little under 1 MB vs. about 7 MB for the earlier version 3.0 MG-USA.