Cache Recommendations Doon South

I'm planning a long trip South. I'm hoping that fellow cachers might be able to recommend caches that are reasonably quick and easy along one stretch of my journey. This will take me along the A50 to Uttoxeter and then down the M1 to North London.

I'm also a bit daunted by the number of caches in North London - but the Regent's Canal series looks like it might be a good one to do.

I'm also a bit daunted by the number of caches in North London.

My favourite cache (locationwise) in London was GCH9HP. And I didn't even find it. :)

Me too, and I still haven't found it.

However, don't even think about driving to that one.

Are you looking for caches that you can drive to and grab, or are you lookinng for spending a day on pulic transport in central London?

Also, what are your feelings on virtual/micro/regular?

Are you looking for caches that you can drive to and grab, or are you lookinng for spending a day on pulic transport in central London?

Also, what are your feelings on virtual/micro/regular?

I will probably be on public transport; I don't fancy driving and caching in central London. There is one on Hampstead Heath close to my Mum's house where I will be staying, so that one is easy. My Dad lives around the corner from Abbey Road webcam, so I'm going to rope him into helping me with that one.

Just looking for others that we could spend an afternoon doing without travelling right across London. I don't have any strong feelings about whether they are micros, virtuals or regular caches. Most caches that I've done, whatever the kind, have been worthwhile: whether the same applies to England as to Scotland I will find out!

Edited by Firth of Forth

Presumably you're heading down the M6, across the A50 and to the M1. If so, there are a couple of caches just off route in Stoke on Trent

GCDECE Park Hall Country Park

GCH2Q2 Dead End Cache

You need to turn off the A50 onto the A520 to Leek and turn to Park Hall Country Park about a mile later.

come off M1 at Junction 10, navigate your way past Whipsnade and Dunstable Downs and then through Ashridge Estate. Join A41 and head towards London, past Hemel Hempstead. Rejoin M1 at J8. If this sort of diversion appeals to you, there are as many caches within easy grabbing range as you have time for/can be bothered to grab. Email me if you are interested and I will tell you about some of the ones that I know about.

ps bring lots of Scottish Pound notes and insist that the Londeners accept them, they ARE legal tender, after all :)

ps bring lots of Scottish Pound notes and insist that the Londeners accept them, they ARE legal tender, after all 

I always do that, but it can give rise to some unpleasant reactions! I doubt that anyone would accept a Scottish £1 note - we still have them up here, though they are getting rare.

Your suggested route sounds interesting - I will check it out on the map. Thanks.

Edited by Firth of Forth

The route that Alibags suggests will take you past the "mountains" of Bedfordshire, but coming down from Scotland think you might confuse them with large mole hills. B)

Many places now display notices saying "Scottish Notes not accepted!!"

I managed to pass a Falklands Island £10 note of as Scottish, told them it was a very small island in the Atlantic :D. Don't think they realised it is the South Atlantic :)

Nick