Jeep Contest Essay Winners???

miloparley

About two weeks ago I received an email from Jeremy Irish stating that I had won for the best eassay in the month of July. I was told that I would recieve something in the mail, yet it has been two weeks and nothing has arrived. I'm starting to wonder why I took the time to write an eassay for a contest that has no prizes. I will keep that in mind for the next big contest.

:D

Edited by miloparley
About two weeks ago I received an email from Jeremy Irish stating that I had won for the best eassay in the month of July. I was told that I would recieve something in the mail, yet it has been two weeks and nothing has arrived. I'm starting to wonder why I took the time to write an eassay for a contest that has no prizes. I will keep that in mind for the next big contest.

:D

I would assume that if you were told that something was coming in the mail that something will come in the mail. Two weeks isn't all that long. Be patient. :D

Two whole weeks already? You should file some sort of fraud complaint. That's outragous! Two whole weeks to get something free! You're so right!

I doubt Jeep would have that new Liberty parked in your driveway within 2 weeks if you won, so you probably shouldn't enter that contest either.

I am doubly delighted to see that one of the jeeps that I distributed wound up in the hands of the person who wrote the winning essay, and also that the winner is from here in Pittsburgh. I just read your essay and I agree, it captures the spirit of geocaching very well in a short few paragraphs. Congratulations!

At the same time, I am rather embarrassed by your post. I am sure there are many other contest entrants who would have been a bit more patient before posting something with that wording, after having won the contest. I would first have written back to Geocaching.com to ask for specifics.

Please do follow up and let us know what you have won for writing the winning essay. It should really be a positive thing.

Prize fulfillment is usually 10-12 weeks from win notification (in general). Tho I won a prize from Cartoon Network in June and it just arrived this week! So it can take awhile. Be patient.

I'm just glad to see someone won. I have been wondering who has won the first two rounds of the photo and essay contests.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I posted my complaint due to the fact I recieved an email that requested my address and phone number. After I replied, I wrote again because it wasn't clear on just what I had won. I have still to receive even a reply. I was curious if anyone else had received any emails like that.

The people on here are not rude, but childish. You all hide behind your nicknames like they are shields. We geo-cache because it is fun. Not to invent some cult that only nerds and jerks can join.

At the rate that people are going on here with comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Geo-caching shuts down the Forum. Then you guys would have only your special hand shakes left.

Peace and Love for all of you that have no one but yourself and your nickname.

Tell you what. what my real name is James Duke.

Now since you know my real name let me start by saying you are rude and impatient, and hope that they take your prize away for being so. You never asked asked did anyone else recieve notification and if they got a prize. Just that you didnt get yours in 2 weeks. Of course you don't even know what it is that you won, so how do you know you didn't get it (retoricle question there)?

as for the secret special handshake. we don't shake hands we just do the L shape with our right hand across our chins.

Just sad to see someone that could write so nicely to win comes to the forums and posts so poorly.

I posted my complaint due to the fact I recieved an email that requested my address and phone number. After I replied, I wrote again because it wasn't clear on just what I had won. I have still to receive even a reply. I was curious if anyone else had received any emails like that.

The people on here are not rude, but childish. You all hide behind your nicknames like they are shields. We geo-cache because it is fun. Not to invent some cult that only nerds and jerks can join.

At the rate that people are going on here with comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Geo-caching shuts down the Forum. Then you guys would have only your special hand shakes left.

While I will agree with you that the customer service for Groundspeak leaves something to be desired, your calling us childish is uncalled for. Go back and reread your initial post. Then pretend it was someone else that wrote that initial message. Go and read the responses. I think you need to realize that it is you that is being the childish one here.

As for hiding behind our nicknames, nobody is doing this. Using nicknames on here is more of a way of showing a personality than a way of preserving anonymity. If you go to any cache event, you will find this out right away.

Later,

--RuffRidr

Hi Milo! My name's Dave and I am a moderator here in the Groundspeak Forums. You may also know me locally as I have found your cache in North Park under my player account name. I'm Dave over there, too. And it's a fine little cache. When you hide another one, it will be reviewed by a guy named Dave who is the volunteer cache reviewer for Western Pennsylvania. That'd be me.

Anyways, now you have gotten to meet a moderator up close and personal in a very special way. Yep, that was Dave who visited your warn meter, too. Milo, it's a delight to be on a first name basis with you.

EDIT: Perhaps you'd like to meet my friend Michael. I'd be delighted to arrange an introduction.

Edited by Keystone Approver

This is so sad. Words that come to mind are ungrateful and impatient. My name is Claire, how do you do? I hope if you find out you won a car, you come back in here an apologize. I have no clue what the other prizes are, but I hope you won a calendar or a clock.

What is this, the mob closing in? The guy was impatient and wrote a rude post, Carleen answered with a perfectly polite and to the point counter post which probably made the guy think again. Why wasn't that enough? A bunch of cachers stacking deriding posts, how do you think that'll bring him up to be a decent cacher (like the rest of us)? Looking at his second post, it wasn't very successful, was it?

Hey, I get all worked up, sorry. I am curious though: Why wasn't Carleen's post enough?

Everyoine just relax, sheesh.

you all should know by now that its hard to judge the intentions of someones words, we have no facial expressions or voice tones to go by, so just relax. i would probably feel that i was being attacked as well with the responses.

as for the original poster, glad to hear you won!! and yes it does take forever to get a response from groundpeak! it will come though, so give it a bit of time.

It's a *discussion* forum. While there are days when I'd love to be able to lock a thread after one answer's posted, that isn't the way it works, and I'd likely get into trouble.

Once you post to a discussion forum, your topic is fair game for discussion by anyone who has an opinion, AND who expresses that opinion within the confines of the forum conduct guidelines. If anyone posts to this topic in violation of the forum guidelines, either a moderator will notice it on their own, or someone will bring it to the moderators' attention through the "report this post" feature.

Had the topic originator desired a single answer, he could have written an e-mail. And had the topic originator been satisfied with the answers given above, or been bothered by the opinions expressed, he could have exercised his right to close this topic. He remains free to do so at any time. (pssst, Milo... it's at the lower left corner of the screen. Yep, there, under "Moderation Options.)

What is this, the mob closing in? The guy was impatient and wrote a rude post, Carleen answered with a perfectly polite and to the point counter post which probably made the guy think again. Why wasn't that enough? A bunch of cachers stacking deriding posts, how do you think that'll bring him up to be a decent cacher (like the rest of us)? Looking at his second post, it wasn't very successful, was it?

Hey, I get all worked up, sorry. I am curious though: Why wasn't Carleen's post enough?

if he only wanted 1 response the proper action would be to just email grounspeak and WAIT. There are a lot more things going on than his essay. He came to the forums and in a poor manner griped. If you think this is harsh you should see the forum I go to after this one.

Milo has only two posts in this forum. Both in this topic, both rude, and both insulting. IMHO, this warants attack! :blink:

No... one attack doesn't justify return fire. For example, your contributions to this topic have noted that the original poster isn't a premium member, and only has two posts in the Groundspeak forums. Quoting from the forum guidelines, "whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect."

If you disagree with a person's opinion, feel free to dissect that opinion into bits and pieces, and offer support for a contrary opinion. But please refrain from attacks on the person, rather than the opinion.

IMHO To put things in perspective....Some call us crazy....

Quote:

Some call us crazy, because they can not picture themselves surrounded by unfamiliar territory in mosquito infested swamps, fields engulfed in briars and weeds so high you long to see your feet, or trees encased in ice along with paths submerged in snow. But then again, they will never get to share in that moment when you rush over to that fallen tree, pile of branches, or even that hole that you do not really want to reach into. Nor will they enjoy the satisfaction that comes with earning the right to say that you found it!

Geo-caching has redefined the standards for me when it comes to hiking. It encourages you to find new places, and even sometimes, due to miscalculations, causes you to make a new path when you really should have just stayed on the trail. You have the destination, and it is up to you to work off the hints that others have created to get there. It takes energy, an eye for the out of the ordinary, and a strong liking of the outdoors.

If you can just look past the insects, sweat, the unexpected creeks that seem to be right across the path, and spider webs, that you usually don’t see until it is too late away, there is so much more involved that you could enjoy. Like the fact you have just stumbled upon a field full of flowers that you never knew existed, a waterfall that goes unnoticed somewhere off in the woods, a campground that has long been forgotten, a deserted historical marker that was left to tell a story, or a hillside that allows you to see the world below from a different perspective. These are just some of the unexpected joys that all fall under the category of adventure.

unquote:

Wow, yes....can't be all that bad.... :lol:

Shirley~

P.S. (edit to include this) We tend to sign our names to our posts because, this way we let the other posters know just which of the 2oldfarts they need to blame.... :blink:

With everyone else, there really is no need - EXCEPT, WOW Keystone, nice to meet ya! I never knew your first name...

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

It took more than 8 weeks to receive my Magellan mystery prize pack from the "Cache Her If You Can" contest this summer. I got some sunglasses, plastic binoculars, flashlight and a tenting directory.

Dont be so impatient. These things take time

Edited by WH
Milo has only two posts in this forum. Both in this topic, both rude, and both insulting. IMHO, this warants attack! :lol:

No... one attack doesn't justify return fire. For example, your contributions to this topic have noted that the original poster isn't a premium member, and only has two posts in the Groundspeak forums. Quoting from the forum guidelines, "whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect."

If you disagree with a person's opinion, feel free to dissect that opinion into bits and pieces, and offer support for a contrary opinion. But please refrain from attacks on the person, rather than the opinion.

Point well taken ... Apology offered. :blink:

Are you sure that you want to be known like this?

hi, my name is robert

i like to cache but i hate to write so i didn't win any cool jeep swag.

i did though enter the OTHER jeep contest for a real jeep, still came up snake eyes. I would love to hunt one of your caches, maybe even say hi sometime. I play in the forums sometimes and despite what you say we are not all whiners, bullies, or cowards hiding behind our screen names. some of us are, but that is not to be discussed here, just consider the source of the comments you get. in EVERY GROUP of people there will be ALL types, the good, the bad, the complainers, the bullies, the impatient, and the ugly.

PRIZE: PHOTO PRIZE Six (6) (one (1) per Contest Entry Period): Assorted Jeep Gear (ARV: $45.58 each). ESSAY PRIZE Six (6) (one (1) per Contest Entry Period): Assorted Jeep Gear (ARV: $45.58 each). Total ARV of all prizes: $547.00. Prizes will be awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. Prizes are not transferable, redeemable for cash or substitutable, except by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Winner is responsible for all applicable federal, state, local and other taxes and expenses not identified in the Official Rules as being awarded. All prize details not described herein are at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Limit one (1) prize per person, per email, per Geocaching Account for the entire Promotion Period.

Just hope Jeep and Jeremy aren't reading this thread. You might end up with a giant $45 metal gear from a jeep.

While I don't post that often, :) I do like to read all of the forums that I can. Some are funny :) , some are rude :lol: , some are a matter of fact and to the point :) . What has been said here seems to be the truth, in more ways than one. :D

With that being said, maybe you should have posted the above comment here, and the best of luck on your future. :)

P.S. I go by P(aul)/Rick, but I will answer to just about anything.

P.Rick

My name is Brenna and I did not win anything (here, at least).

I enter a lot of sweepstakes (another hobby of mine). A lot of times I will get notification that I won 'something'.

First, it usually takes 4-6 weeks to receive the prize in the mail. Just be patient, it will get there!

Second, sometimes the people that notify you that you won don't know exactly what you have won (unless you won the grand prize). The prize distribution people will decide. In most cases, it is a tshirt, hat, mousepad or some sort of 'prize package' that contains all of those items and more.

Anyway, congrats on your win and let us know what you got when it comes in the mail!

:)

Hey Milo, it's a pleasure getting to know you. "Not"! Keep this in mind as well. Check your own house before throwing stones. Your is made of "Glass" too.

I just checked on a few of your logged finds and here's what I found in less than ten minutes. Oh, did I say I'll be checking up on the rest of your logs tonight and tomorrow.

miloparley logs:

Ravo 1 by miloparley GCH21V

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-9c50bd11f8db

Your logs on this cache.

October 14, 2003 by miloparley (42 found)

I didn't know how to put the Jacob Travel Bug on here. So, here it is.

March 2 by miloparley (42 found)

Ok, this is for the Sunshine Bear TB.

April 7 by miloparley (42 found)

Alright. Heading back

June 29 by miloparley (42 found)

Ok, I brought it back

August 18 by miloparley (42 found)

Just letting this one go

-------------------------------------------------------

Devils Elbow Cache GCG3EA

Your logs

September 23 by miloparley (42 found)

I wanted to drop these off. didn't want to hold on to these any longer.

October 11, 2003 by miloparley (42 found)

It was a nice find.

--------------------------------------------------------

Who'd picnic here? GCH2ZA

June 26 by miloparley (42 found)

I found this, and I also got eaten a live by bugs. But hey, it comes with the Geocaching hunt. Nice hide.

----------------------------------------------------

The Village People GCG6N8

June 26 by miloparley (41 found)

Nice Hide, had to be seeking because of the "season"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Pigg in a Poke GCEFE3

April 7 by miloparley (41 found)

Nice Hide. And very nice place. I am in town for business and saw there was a cache around.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like nobody "splained" the rules to ya, about relogging finds on the same caches. Looks like you flunked Caching 101. OUCH ! Now that hurts.

KA when I get done checking his logs, I'll send you a pm to knock off the extra finds. :D:) Oooooppppss, it's Mr. Dave . BTW:, pleasure to be on a first name basis with you! Oh. to my friends they call me Sal. Milo you need not call me at all! :):lol: No apology necessary! SF1 hiding caches not names.

Hi Milo! My name's Dave and I am a moderator here in the Groundspeak Forums. You may also know me locally as I have found your cache in North Park under my player account name. I'm Dave over there, too. And it's a fine little cache. When you hide another one, it will be reviewed by a guy named Dave who is the volunteer cache reviewer for Western Pennsylvania. That'd be me.

Anyways, now you have gotten to meet a moderator up close and personal in a very special way. Yep, that was Dave who visited your warn meter, too. Milo, it's a delight to be on a first name basis with you.

EDIT: Perhaps you'd like to meet my friend Michael. I'd be delighted to arrange an introduction.

You know, there's a reason why you're one of my favorite mods.

Oh, and Milo, while I'm at it. You don't need to know my name, because I don't give it out to people like you. How dare you come in here pissing and moaning because you weren't given free things fast enough.

Wow, what a pileup! Too many people throwing the first stone. I agree with Carleenp... lets be a little more patient with the new people. I'll admit I've put my foot in it a time or two when my emotions got ahead of my brain so I will regress here to some semblance of sanity and welcome Milo to the forums... "Welcome". Be patient Milo and with us too. Most of us (Like myself) can be short and grumpy at times but we are really a great group of people who enjoy Geocaching. My name isn't a secret by any means... it's my Amateur Radio call. If you go to QRZ.com or ARRL.com you can even find out my address! (No secrets here)

Hope we meet you caching some day, Eric

The people on here are not rude, but childish.

Childish remarks eh? I love the irony behind arguements such as this one.

You all hide behind your nicknames like they are shields. We geo-cache because it is fun. Not to invent some cult that only nerds and jerks can join.

Ironic considering you hide behind your nickname making these remarks. I find this to be mildly childish in attitude.

And yet another childish remark. Btw, this thread is pretty laid back compared to some flames I've seen bandied about.

A childish parting shot couched with a peace and love eh? :mad:

You made a complaint and can't handle the criticism that comes with posting on a forum. If you can't stand the heat, don't start the fires... or was that get out of the oven? Something like that... :mad:

Here's a piece of useful advise not asked for but freely given:

When you're ticked off and you write a note to be posted, do it in notepad. Come back to it in an hour or so and re-write it, but dont post it yet. Come back to it in a couple more hours and re-write it again. Once you have your mad all written out exactly the way you want it, delete it. Then take the time to post something polite instead.

Cheers!

TL aka Greg

Edited by TotemLake