Mark, Thecat's Caches

Lactodorum

It is with great sadness that I'm writing this note but life has to go on.

With the recent tragic passing of Mark, TheCat, the question of what to do with his caches has to be dealt with. I'm sure Mark would like us all to continue to enjoy them so I'm asking for volunteers to adopt them. A full list can be seen here.

I've already had a volunteer for Barrel Makers Hill GC79CB and Chosen

Hill GC79CD (thanks JJ Noodle Fan Club).

If any of you would like to take over one or more of the others near you just let me know and I'll make the arrangements.

Many thanks.

I will happily look after Moonies Hideout - GC79C8 for the next two years whilst I am living in the Swindon area.

After that time, I'm afraid someone else will need to take responsibility for it as my husband is in the army and we'll be relocating.

Edit: (I notice from the last finder that it needs a new container which I am happy to do this weekend)

Edited by Leoness

Hi

I live on mainland Shetland and have visited all of Mark's caches in Shetland with the exception of Fettled Funzie.

I am assuming that I am the only geocacher, who is aware of Mark's sad death, on Shetland when I write this.

Shetland Overview is on mainland Shetland and I could adopt that easily.

Shout is on Yell. Its about 70 miles round trip a plus a ferry crossing from my house.

Can You Hear Me Mother is on Unst and about a 100 mile round trip and two ferry rides away from my house.

Fettled Funzie is on Fetlar and is about a 90 mile round trip and two ferry rides from my house. Its the worst place to get to due to the lack of ferries.

If there are no geocachers who live on Unst, Fetlar or Yell then I will happily (if sporadically) look after them/adopt them. I may be the only optionin this area, although there MAY be one other person, whose details were lost in a recent Windoze incident!

I am in a position where, through my job, I sometimes, but not often, travel to these islands. I am hoping that when I do I will have the opportunity to spend the time in maintaining them where necessary. This job may finish in December 2005

If this is acceptable to all, and there are no geocachers on these islands, please let me know what I should do next.

Thanks

60North

I could take on Round Turn and 2 Half Hitches (GC6DAE) if there is noone nearer than S Lancs willing rather than see it lost as we are occasionally in the Lake District. But if someone more able is willing I will happily stand back.

I'd have loved to adopted this as it's my favourite cache I haven't done: we drove straight past it without the GPS. The drive is fantastic.

It's a bit far from the West Midlands though :)

As already discussed with Lactodorium, I am willing to take over Grimwith (GC7197) as this is the only nearest one to me.....

Let me know if anyone closer wishes to adopt it.

On another slant.... obviously I would wish to put a paragraph in dedicating the cache to Mark. Does anyone (including Family - if Teasel is in contact) wish to add anything, or suggest any paragraph.

At the moment Eckington is getting in contact with Mark's family to see what they would like to happen to his caches.

Aboloutely right - we should respect thier wishes if Mark didn't leave any specific instructions. Obviouly if they are to be archived we'll still need volunteers to vist the sites and reclaim the cache boxes.

If they do want the caches removed could Ecki find out if Mark's family would like the logbooks returned to them?

Jon.

Edited by The J J Noodle Fan Club

I think that it is extremely important to keep Mark's memory alive. Adopting his caches and asking his family's permission is possibly the best way to do this, but first can we please give Mark's family's some time to grieve. If something tragic where to happen to me, I would want the caches to be adopted, but I i'm sure my wife would not be appreciative of being asked about it such a short time afterwards.

I am sure his family must be having one of the worst times of their lives, as death doesn't only bring grief it also brings along financial turmoil and an uncertain future in most peoples cases.

PLEASE lets leave it a while for their lives to get back together.

I am sure his family must be having one of the worst times of their lives, as death doesn't only bring grief it also brings along financial turmoil and an uncertain future in most peoples cases.

PLEASE lets leave it a while for their lives to get back together.

I agree with Haggis Hunter about this. How about anyone who wishes to adopt one of Marks caches, posts a note on the cache page that they have taken over maintenance of that cache for the immediate future, with everyone agreeing that they adopt it, if or when Marks family agrees. As no one seems to have thought of the possibility, that Marks family might like to keep one or all of them in memory of him.

Dave

I agree with Haggis Hunter about this. How about anyone who wishes to adopt one of Marks caches, posts a note on the cache page that they have taken over maintenance of that cache for the immediate future, with everyone agreeing that they adopt it, if or when Marks family agrees.

Sensible suggestion. I've been to "TV on Demand" today to check on it. I have left a note on the cache page.

Thank you to everyone who responded both here and on the cache pages themselves. We now have volunteers for each of Mark's caches so I have asked that they get transferred. Hopefully this will take place very soon.

If it transpires that any changes are requested by Mark's family I will of course arrange these as well.

On another slant.... obviously I would wish to put a paragraph in dedicating the cache to Mark.  Does anyone (including Family - if Teasel is in contact) wish to add anything, or suggest any paragraph.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? We'd certainly want to credit Mark with the cache placement and dedicate it to his memory.

We were thinking along the lines of "This cache was originally placed by Mark Thompson (TheCat) and is maintained in his memory." at the top of the listing. Any comments?

JJNFC.

Edited by The J J Noodle Fan Club
Think that looks good. also you could link to his profile Alex Slytherin had changed it accordingly.

I am having the same problem with the home page of G:UK. up to now I have made a few changes, but am not sure what else to put. Its hard :D

Take a look at the changes that I have made to TV on Demand.

If this wording is acceptable, I can change all the pages to look the same before the ownership of the other caches is transfered.

If anyone has any ideas on changes to my words, then I more than happy to hear.

alex.

Edited by SlytherinAlex
Take a look at the changes that I have made to TV on Demand.

If this wording is acceptable, I can change all the pages to look the same before the ownership of the other caches is transfered.

If anyone has any ideas on changes to my words, then I more than happy to hear.

alex.

Just noticed an error on the cache page for TV on Demand.

Mark's website should read "geocacheuk.com"

You've put some nice pictures of Mark on his profile. :D

Just noticed an error on the cache page for TV on Demand.

Mark's website should read "geocacheuk.com"

You've put some nice pictures of Mark on his profile. :D

Thanks for spotting that. I did it in a rush before I went out tonight.

I've amended the text now.

I took the best pictures from logs for the CIN Foxhunt 2003. If anyone has any more pictures please let me know.

alex.

Instead of Mark's caches being transferred to us individually how about:

The caches stay attached to Mark's old ID, TheCat.

The "by" line changes to: TheCat (maintained by XYZ) - XYZ as appropriate of course.

If any changes need to be made to the listings then Alex could make the mods as he's obviously got access to Mark's user ID.

Mark's email is changed to one which can automatically be forwarded to all those who've adopted caches (I'd got a couple of domain names and this can easily be set-up at my ISP, e.g. thecat@domainname.co.uk gets forwarded to the emails of all the adopters - this is done at the ISP so wouldn't rely on my PC being on etc.).

That way all the caches still stay associated with Mark.

The only downsides I see of this are:

1) Alex has to do any updates (as he's the only one who has to know the gc password) but presumably they are infrequent anyway

2) we'd all get an "Owner" email every time anyone posted to any of the caches

3) I'd have to maintain the forwarding list to the 10 or so adopters and they would have to tell me if they changed email addy

Anyone think this is a good idea or now that the process has started of reassiging the caches is it too much hassle?

Jon.