Why No Good Trade Items?

derekdoubleut

I, too, am in an area that nickel nonsense is the norm. Meaning, I wouldn't pay a nickel for some of this stuff.

I have been putting out ladies pins in little silk bags as swag, the other day, I noticed someone took one of the pins and left a fishing bobber!!!!!! ONE BOBBER, not a package of them. ONE BOBBER. How do people live with themselves?

Grant it, I know the value of the pin was worth more than most swag, but ONE BOBBER? Geez, the silk bag was worth more than the bobber.

For the men, I have been leaving a package of 6 bungee cords....they're a dollar at the dollar store for the set of 6, not the strongest, but I bet they would come in handy in a pinch! I would be thrilled to find just one bungee, instead of a plastic pig from a 100 piece farm set that they paid a buck for! To these people....I say "TNLNSL".

I think I need to geocache in the KC area, they are always bragging of good stuff in their caches.

Someone suggested in this thread (or maybe a different one but along the same lines) of using your talents to create cache items. I love craft stuff so today I went out and spent just under $9. I got alphabet beads to create "I (heart) Geocaching" bracelets. I'll probably do keychain fobs too. I'm not sure how far my supplies will go but I'm positive each bracelet/keychain will be well under $1 but an item I think people might like to take. I know it's something I'd pick out.

I also picked up a couple froggie bandanas for 87 cents each. My dog wants one but there's another affordable item (in a zip lock baggie, of course) to leave. The frog even looks like this guy! :D

Interesting topic. I'm new to GC and have been trying to figure out what loot would be most appealing to others. My current thinking is to stick with cool, new toys for kids, and unique stuff for adults, not necessarily expensive.

My favorite thing I've left so far is glowsticks. I mean, who doesn't like glowsticks? :laughing:

I will make it a point to swing by some of the local historic areas and see what I can find that's inexpensive but distinctive. And I like the idea of creating a sig item that would still appeal to "jaded loot collectors."

Anyone else have specific suggestions/ideas for good loot?

T.

Please dont shoot the messanger. I am a newbie. I have read, researched, etc about geocaching all weekend. I have gps, pda, email, cache hunting gear, etc. I feel that I am somewhat prepared and ready to go. I have several caches in my gps and just have to get out there.

I debated this...do you hide, hunt, both....how do you start? I posted here asking several questions, checking all resources, geocachers creed, getting input from here and others that geocache. Now I read posts like this and start to worry.

There are several things I see here. How do you rate the swag? I mean I think of that old saying 'one mans treasure...'. Some people and children like Mctoys while others dont. Some like hot wheels while others dont. What I am saying is that even with completely new items...how do you 'put a price on it' or rate it? A hot wheels car could range anywhere from a nickle up in what you pay to get one. KWIM. I personally dont need or like stickers, cards, etc....but that doesnt mean that others agree. I may like something that one person considers trash and so on. We are all different and so we will all see things different.

I know that as long as I see it as 'what would I want to leave/find?', 'what is a better item to leave', etc. I can only do my best. I know that some collect signature items while others dont care. Some only leave swag for children, or not at all. Finding the cache and logging are the 'reward'. I have heard it all this weekend. It is an individual thing....we each view it different.

I have a handmade signature item I am thinking of using. Reading all the posts about disappointing finds, trash finds, poor items, etc....makes me wonder if I should even do this. I am trying to do this as correctly, ethically, etc as I can. My dd (age 9) is super excited about this and is also wanting to use handmade signature items for swag. Now I worry about if my item is ok to use.

In thinking about hiding a cache I also have been searching around for what is acceptable, get. I also was thinking about the swag for this. I have thought that if I make my cache of higher quality items....then that will set a standard for others, increase the number of better caches, etc. Then I wonder about that. I ask start to wonder about batteries and pens....will they leak, will it ruin the cache/cache items, etc.

I guess you can see I have been looking at this from all sides/angles. I dont want to put a bunch of effort (thought has already been working) into a cache that is NOT 'worthy' and wont be checked by other cachers. But I also dont want to put all this into it for nothing....wasted effort. I know that the hunt is the important part. I know that the time with dd is important. If I do this correctly, then I am also setting a standard for younger/next generation geocachers.

So I went on....this has been bugging me. It is a big part of why I still havent actually gone out to start looking.

Thank you for listening...if you are still reading. Just thought that a newbie point of view might also show what others are seeing in this.

ttfn

I am still quite new at this....let me tell ya, you will know a run down cache when you find it.

I cleaned one out about 10 days ago...broken christmas bulbs, miscellaneous pony beads, broken this and that and even an unwrapped bandaid. Maybe it wasn't my job, but it was terrible.

You have the right idea. But I must warn you, it can get discouraging, it is for me anyhow, that some people just don't value the "trade equal or up" idea.

Also, be aware that just because a cache says there is a travelbug, doesn't necessarily mean there is one. Just think of them as a bonus when you find one.

And don't forget, there is the option of "take nothing, leave nothing, sign the log" otherwise known as TNLNSL.

Make it fun for your daughter....that's where you will get your real reward.

Enjoy, now go out and look for some really neat out of the way places, historical places and great scenery.....God made a beautiful world.

I know what you mean...trash is trash. There are people who will bend the rules, break the rules, etc. Unless there is some geocache police that are going to patrol all caches (is that a word?) then it is really a judgement call....poor judgement by some.

Dd and I are in it to have fun, learn geography and such, and hunt....just gotta love a good puzzle. I am hoping that if aside from the obvious (fun, time together, puzzle solving/hunting) that dd will at least know what to do for others. I am hoping that she will get the right idea about swag, trading, logging accurately, etc. That accomplished, I know I have done well.

We plan to do a Virtual cache and maybe a couple others this weekend. I know where the Virtual one is and also a couple others. Just have to go complete them, log, etc. Even set dd up with her own acct here...she wants to log her finds. Reading up on this some groups (family, friends, teams, etc) will find and log then have a set routine so that they dont give it away for the others...so that a find is found by all. Dd wants to do things that way...we go in together but she wants to 'discover' the find herself...at least as much as she can.

Hardest part is that there are many in my area that we cant do. There is a McToys one that dd really wants to do....area is infested with Poison Ivy....we are both highly allergic...not worth a trip to ER.

Thanks. I know that it IS about the hunt, logging, etc. That the swag is/is not a bonus. I am a scrapbooker and so I want to journal, scrapbook each cache we do. I want to complete a scrapbook of our caching fun. The swag would be a great way to log each experience. I also really like the Geocaching Christmas tree that someone posted earlier....Great idea in my book.

ttfn

The whole point of Geocaching for me is to get out and get some exercise and see some places I never saw before. If a cache is filled with junk, that is too bad, but that isn't the reason I sought out that cache.

One day, I found 17 caches, so if I traded good stuff at each of those caches, I couldn't afford to go caching. Most of the time I just sign the logbook -- TNLN -- and write a little note about the experience. ;)

If someone can afford to leave nice swag, or can help a cache out by adding extra swag, great, but it is the getting out and having an experience you wouldn't have any other way that is important.

I can understand how a child might be disappointed if they get to a cache and find nothing but junk in it, but that is an opportunity for a life lesson. We don't always get what we anticipate getting . . .

So . . . just get out there and find some Geocaches and enjoy the adventure. :P

Now...that sounds like the real reward. I know it is all about the sport, fun, time together...that is ok with me. I consider swag as a bonus so to speak. I dont mind leaving some personalized/signature trinket...just to say I was there.

I just wanted to point out that we all have different tastes. That we all value items differently. I didnt mean to take the fun out of this. I know that there are disappointments in life, nothing in life is fair, etc.

My dd and I have found a new hobby. We plan to have fun. For me, the swag is just a bonus to mark our journey....we just want to leave a little 'we were here' sign of sorts.

ttfn

I think that is great. One family here leaves beaded lizards made by one of the daughters. They are colorful and each one is a bit different.

It is nice to have some "cache repair" stuff with you just in case you find one that needs a new zip lock bag for the log or something else (like a pen or pencil).

I should have had some paper towels with me when I found a cache with an inch of water in the bottom. We had record rains this winter, and the container wasn't leakproof. ;)

I am glad I found this topic. We are new to caching as well. We found 5 more today and had a blast. I cache with my hubby, my 2 1/2 year old and my 13 month old. We typically let our 2 1/2 year old pick out a "treasure" and pick what "treasure" to leave for the next one.

I personally don't care about what we get out of the caches...but we typically go for the full size caches because it keeps my daughter's interest to find the "rectangles with treasure in them" (as she calls the Ammo cans). She likes them better then the "little circles with paper in them" (as she calls the micros or 35mm cans).We are just glad to have the time together as a family.

Today, though we went to the dollar store to buy some more swag for a cache we are going to hide as well as to keep in the car to add to other caches. We got some great stuff for just $1.

We got tried to pick both stuff that would appeal to children...as we want to reward other child cachers as well...and adults. It really wasn't that expensive at all and I think we got some pretty cool stuff...things I would like to find in caches...and things I know my daughter would like.

Adult items:

Minature Fans with batteries, minature sewing kits, minature FM radios with headphones, pedometeres, pocket knives with pouch, watches on belt clips, travel games -checkers, darts, backgammon, chinese checkers.

Kids:

Tubes of that goo that you can blow into balloon, charm bracelet kits, minature decks of playing cards, various bags of super balls, blaster balls, hot wheels cars.

This way we can put cool stuff in...and still afford it. Another idea is like Oriental trading. We are ordering some things from them too. Great Prices and cool things.

The "essence" of geocaching is FUN.

It is not always FUN to be constantly obligated to lookout and shop for new and interesting items, obsess about their trade value, lug a range of items through km/mi of off-road terrain, obsess some more at the find about value, then leaving with a vague unease that some sort of judgement will be passed over your choices?!

Getting way too complicated. At what point does caching stop being a sport/activity and becomes another bill to pay or even worse another form of bias?

I mean, do the math. Some peeps have logged over 3000 finds, even dollar store items would add up to a minimum of $3000, not to mention the time it would take actually find 3000 so-called quality trade items.

It is FUN to follow clues, get fresh air, meet peeps and look at all the goodies that reflect the unique personalities of previous visitors, without having to spend half of your valuable day engaged in enforced geoshopping.

If anyone has a compromise, it would be nice to hear about, but slamming us Newbie's, the TNLN peeps, as well as advocating Christmas-like shopping stress for every single cache detracts from the real benefits and intent of the game.

That's my 2 cents, now I'm broke! TN Left Opinion

Edited by Rho DeKay

It's a problem thats older than geocaching.

When I see litter on the ground my reaction is always the same.

Grafitti on an overpass evokes a predictable reaction.

Wailing, unruly children in church? You guessed it...same thing.

All I can do is feel a little better knowing that I'm not one of them and try to minimize their impact. Show some consideration for others, Cito the garbage and always remember....

Mutuus Sursum Vel Mutuus Parilis.

Our 7 year old twins are never disappointed with the contents of a cache. We consider finding the cache our reward and opening it is their reward. It makes for a great family outing. We try to put something in that somebody else would like just as much. It is hard to compete with some the the interesting things we have found though. Recently my son found some Central American currency. Pretty cool!

There are several things I see here. How do you rate the swag? I mean I think of that old saying 'one mans treasure...'. Some people and children like Mctoys while others dont. Some like hot wheels while others dont. What I am saying is that even with completely new items...how do you 'put a price on it' or rate it? A hot wheels car could range anywhere from a nickle up in what you pay to get one.

Good question. The fact is that most swag items are not that expensive. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's true. Forget about one man treasure, if you have been out purchasing trade items you pretty well know what stuff is worth.

You want a good rule of thumb? Trade up. Then there is less worry about trading fairly. If you missed the mark then your other trades will more than make up for it.

The other good rule of thumb is - Don't trade. No one will ever know the difference.

Edited by BlueDeuce

For the first 50 or so caches that I found I made an effort to trade. Not because I really wanted anything in the cache but because I felt obligated to do so. After a while it just seemed like I was moving the same stuff from cache to cache so I became a TNLN guy. If a cache seems low on items I'll leave some stuff for the kids and I put kids stuff in when I hide my own caches. I don't know about you but if I want something I'll go buy it, not hope I find it in a cache. :anicute:

I am obviously in the minority here but I think that most of the poor trades (not two $10 charms for a quarter but the "T: new pack of Uno Cards L: used McToy" type trades) come from ignorance. If I had not come to the forums, and a lot of cachers don't, I wouldn't have understood what was a good trade from a bad. These forums have seriously shaped the way I trade at caches. I realy don't think most of these people think these are bad trades. They are not going value for value but item for item and view the swag as prizes.

I'm not completely convinced that it shouldn't be expected that a cache would degrade over time. I am preparing to place a cache that will be relatively easy to access and I don't have a single item going in that is under $3. I have a couple of items around $10. I don't expect you to put in 5 $2 items to take my $10 item. I expect that the cash value of this cache will be reduced over time. Hopefully, though, the social value of this cache will increase. With any luck, people will leave interesting notes or items in the cache.

Now, I do always try to trade even or up but that is very subjective. I take a pack of $.50 tissues that is just right to save me from having to let my son blow his nose on my shirt on a cold day (has happened) and leave a $3 monster truck toy and feel that is a pretty even trade.

At the end of the day, WE trade because it is fun for us. That is the same reason we will upgrade a cache when the mood hits.

I'm not completely convinced that it shouldn't be expected that a cache would degrade over time. I am preparing to place a cache that will be relatively easy to access and I don't have a single item going in that is under $3. I have a couple of items around $10. I don't expect you to put in 5 $2 items to take my $10 item.

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but you should expect your cache items to degrade over time. And people will leave 5 $2 items for a $10 item, that is exactly the degradation.

When I trade up, I'll usually leave a bunch of $2 dollar items far more often than a couple higher priced items. Sorry.

We always have our (young) kids with us, and have them take one item each. I have a stash of new kid's things that we leave- most items cost around $1.00. Not pricey stuff, but my kids love getting beads and McToys and we leave somewhat similar items.

However, we also look for ones that mention kid's things in the listing of the original contents, or say "kid friendly" or something. I certainly wouldn't go to one that contained only stamps and leave a Matchbox car. :anicute:

We seem to come across a lot of coasters, magnets that are free at businesses, etc. Kind of boring.

For us, the hikes and new places and fun of the hunt are worth the visits. A McToy for the kids is just a bonus item! :huh:

I may be a little off-topic here. I'm a newbie just starting out and have been reading this post pretty closely. What I was wondering is whether or not there is a geocaching website that allows members to post pics. Maybe people posting a pic of the cache when they build it and then allow them to post pics when they do the maintenance on it. Personally I know that it would open my eyes as to the degradation of caches.

Also I've been thinking about what i would want to put into a cache when i finally make my own. One thought that I had would be a 2 container cache. One with adult themed swag and another one in the same place with children's swag. Does it make any sense to any of you?

LCAS-271

I just put out my first cache today, a 7.62 ammo can. I noted on the cache page: Trade even, trade up or don't trade at all. :huh:

Thanks for bringing this topic up again! Finding great trade items in a cache is like the frosting on the cake for me. And how frustrating it is to go through the trouble (AND the expense) to purchase nice stuff for a new cache, and then read a log like this one:

"I have never seen such nice stuff in the box. I guess I need to get to the finds early more often. Nice Job! I took the FTF prize, the Geo-coin and a GPS sticker. I left a carbineer. Sorry, I only had junk in my bag."

BTW... the FTF prize was a $15.00 gift certificate to a nearby restaurant... :anicute:

I will be using this on my cache pages in the future!

TradeUpTradeEvenorDontTrade.jpg

While caching this past weekend, we found some very nice handmade sig items (small bunches of glass grapes) with ribbons tied at the end -- perfect for Christmas ornaments. We took one for our tree, and then an idea struck us -- this year we will have a second Christmas tree, a "geo-tree" -- the only things on it will be stuff we pick up from caches. Now, we have a whole new set of possibilities every time we find a cache: things that might have looked crappy or useless to us before now might make great geo-tree ornaments. Is it shiny? Ornament! Does it make a little tinkly noise? Ornament! is it red or green or gold or silver? Ornament! Is it a typical McToy we've seen a hundred times? Classic ornament!

A nice side-effect of this idea is that when people see the tree and ask about the ornaments, we'll be able to tell them about geo-caching, while at the same time reminiscing about the specific caches where we found each ornament.

What a GREAT idea! I have been collecting sig items too, including a very cool personalized hermit crabs 37-cent postage stamp :anicute: and have been wondering how to display them. Put them all on a "geo-tree"! :huh:

I just put out my first cache today, a 7.62 ammo can. I noted on the cache page: Trade even, trade up or don't trade at all. :huh:

Thanks for bringing this topic up again! Finding great trade items in a cache is like the frosting on the cake for me. And how frustrating it is to go through the trouble (AND the expense) to purchase nice stuff for a new cache, and then read a log like this one:

"I have never seen such nice stuff in the box. I guess I need to get to the finds early more often. Nice Job! I took the FTF prize, the Geo-coin and a GPS sticker. I left a carbineer. Sorry, I only had junk in my bag."

BTW... the FTF prize was a $15.00 gift certificate to a nearby restaurant... :anicute:

I will be using this on my cache pages in the future!

TradeUpTradeEvenorDontTrade.jpg

FTF prizes do not require a trade at all. A geocoin and gps sticker for a carabiner kinda sucks tho...unless it was a self locking carabiner.

FTF prizes do not require a trade at all. A geocoin and gps sticker for a carabiner kinda sucks tho...unless it was a self locking carabiner.

I agree, I don't expect a trade for a FTF prize. It's a prize! But to take the $15.00 prize AND the geocoin AND the sticker and then leave only a carabiner (worth less than the $1.50 sticker) AND to admit that they are carrying around a bag full of junk... well that just rubbed me the wrong way. I was hoping that maybe they would make a return trip after they restocked their cache bag and leave something a little nicer. But, no. Silly me. :anicute:

I'm not completely convinced that it shouldn't be expected that a cache would degrade over time. I am preparing to place a cache that will be relatively easy to access and I don't have a single item going in that is under $3. I have a couple of items around $10. I don't expect you to put in 5 $2 items to take my $10 item.

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but you should expect your cache items to degrade over time. And people will leave 5 $2 items for a $10 item, that is exactly the degradation.

When I trade up, I'll usually leave a bunch of $2 dollar items far more often than a couple higher priced items. Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. I must not have stated my point clearly. I'm saying, I don't expect you to make up a $10 for $10 trade in any way shape or form. If you take my $10 item and leave somthing interesting or useful to another cacher, I'm OK with that. Even if your item retails for only a couple of bucks. If you feel generous and leave several items, great, if not enjoy what I left. I left my items as gifts for the cachers who find them. All I ask is that you leave a gift for the next guy. I do carry a couple of items in my cache bag that are in the $10-$20 range just in case but I don't expect everyone to do that.

I hate finding caches with broken junk as much as anyone. Luckily I have a 5 year old son who can find value in a range ball with a gash in it. But, I think, a big part of that falls on the cache owner. How many years (and finds) can you let a cache go without checking it.

I would love to see USED mc-toys go away. I just don't think that is a realistic expectation. Please, visit my cache and have fun. If all you have is a used Mc-toy, put it in and sign my log.

Edited by Magoonies

If anyone has a compromise, it would be nice to hear about, but slamming us Newbie's, the TNLN peeps, as well as advocating Christmas-like shopping stress for every single cache detracts from the real benefits and intent of the game.

That's my 2 cents, now I'm broke! TN Left Opinion

You can't please everybody (especially in the forums) so ignore the criticism of those that insist you must trade and those who have an opinion of the minimum value a trade item should have. I find the following keeps the amount I need to spend on swag down:

• Don't trade. TNLN is fine. With the proliferation of log-only micros it is ofter the only option.
  • Recycle swag. If I find something nice in a cache, it will often go into my swag bag and get traded into another cache down the line.
  • Freebies - trade show swag and free stuff at street fairs make good swag. Someone will criticize finding a advertisement in a cache, but most people will like the nice pen or keychain.
  • I will occassionally stock up on inexpensive toys and other items especially if I see something on sale.

Edited by tozainamboku

I thought that geocoins were like TB's.. meant to move around and like TB's - no trade is required for it. Unless it is an unactivated coin meant to be traded for.... am I incorrect in my thinking??? :)

I also think there is no place for broken junk in a cache. But I also cache with my 2.5 yr old and a 6 yr old. They love finding little toys in there - something I might think is junk they LOVE... We haven't left any used toys in caches, but I also see the point that some little children look through their things and find something they really like and bring it to trade. Who are we to say it is junk - it was something they liked and thought other children would enjoy as well..

We have left McToys in caches - but only brand new ones still in the bags...

I sometimes have trouble figuring out what an even trade is and I often think I leave more then we took, but I will be more aware of it in the future...

Sometimes I find we are quickly going through stuff because there are lots of muggles around and we quickly choose something out of our bag to replace what the kids took...

I like what one of the other posters said about I am not caching for profit - we like getting out as a family and the hunt makes it that much more enjoyable, the swag is a bonus to the kids.... we can afford to buy what we want. That said, we (the adults) do enjoy finding signature items left behind in the caches... homemade or otherwise... they are neat since they are specific to the other cachers that have been there before us....sort of a neat little piece of history.

..stepping down now...

I have been putting out ladies pins in little silk bags as swag, the other day, I noticed someone took one of the pins and left a fishing bobber!!!!!! ONE BOBBER, not a package of them. ONE BOBBER. How do people live with themselves?

Grant it, I know the value of the pin was worth more than most swag, but ONE BOBBER? Geez, the silk bag was worth more than the bobber.

bobbbers are not nessicarily cheap items. many of the bobbers in my tackle box cost over $3 each. the cheapest of the cheap bobbers i have are all over $.75 each. There are some super cheap bobbers, but from when he wrote you cant tell which kind he left. he very well could have traded up. it just sounds lame from the description.

bobbbers are not nessicarily cheap items. many of the bobbers in my tackle box cost over $3 each
Very true. Being a fisherman, I've left lures in caches. To a person that doesn't fish it might seem cheap but these things can cost a pretty penny.

All is relative but I do feel we should all make our best effort to trade up, equal or not at all if in doubt but we also must becareful not to judge too quickly. I can see myself finding a toy and thinking of it as crap to learn latter that it was the IN toy and of great worth to a kid!

So, the way I figure it. Just honor the cache in your own unique way honestly. If you feel you can't leave a decent item, then don't and take nothing. Enjoy the hunt. Hopping off my soap box now.

I just seeded a new cache with an unactivated Selective Availability (Red) Geoclub coin, an unactivated Ammo Can Geoclub coin, and a BillsBayou handmade custom coin.

The cache will take a bit of work to find, and I wanted it to be worthwhile.

Some of those geoclub coins are selling on ebay for $20 and more.

Since most people do not do puzzle caches and multi-caches, I wanted the ones who do this one to get something for it. I think it's a shame that people tend to simply filter out even the slightly difficult and slightly long caches.

Sometimes, I'll trade for a neat geobutton or take a nice FTF prize, sometimes I'll leave them for the next finder.

Generally, I don't trade but I do like to leave unique items that someone else might like - I have some Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco trading cards which I have been leaving. I'm not a coin addict (I think it's gotten a little out of hand), but I do have a geocoin club subscription which I got so I could leave some nice FTF prizes and stuff.

Happy Lundi Gras!

I always trade. I don't usually find great stuff. Today I took a little kids toy ring and left a sunshine shaped pencil sharpener. I'm not about to go out and buy lots of expensive stuff so others can reap the reward (well maybe sometimes I will when I want to surprise someone). If geocaching is about others profiting at my expense then I don't think it's something I want to do. To me the trades are a momento or token of the cache. I might keep them around for awhile and then trade them for something else from another cache. Sometimes I trade more, sometimes I trade less. It depends on whether the cache needs a little something extra so that when I leave it it is in good or better shape than I found it and so that the next person isn't disappointed. It's my understanding that people wanting the better class of swag can become paying members.

Edited by Luckless

Since I cache with kids I appreciate finding some unbroken, unsoiled swag in a cache. Now that I have been doing this for awhile I carry a stocked backpack with me when the family goes out caching. I carry a bunch of brand new swag, spare sharpened golf pencils, rubber bands, baggies, heavy duty plastic zip lock bags, etc. After a long hike the kids get really excited to find new toys so if we find an empty cache we have taken to having the kids help us restock it.

My first cache started with, among other things, Jamaican coins. I really wanted one because I have a collection of foreign monies, but I knew they could be gone even though I brought the cutest "little" things I could find. And they were gone. So I left sumthing and took nothing but it makes me want to make lots of caches with lots of cool stuff in them. So I probably will. :laughing::D

I sometimes hunt with 3 or four other people. Mostly kids. Each kid wants to take something, so I always replace those items with other items. Most times we trade even or up. But sometimes we are caught off guard by nice items, so we trade the best that we can.

On the one cach that I did hide, I spent about $15 on it. I am not expecting the value or the items to stay the same or grow. I just want the hunters to enjoy finding it. As the cache gets older, I will be replacing some of the broken, dirty items with better stuff. I will not be upset that there is junk in it, nore will I replace all of the junk. Some peoples junk can be other peoples treasure.

Enjoy the Hunt!

This issue has been discussed many many times on this board. There are a few facts that are durable.

1. Caches tend to deteriorate in value over time.

2. Harder and more remote caches tend to maintain their value better than easy caches.

3. If you put really valuable stuff in an easy cache, the entire cache will likely be stolen.

4. Geocoins tend to mysteriously disappear from caches.

5. If there are no toys in a cache, and a child (with adult) comes to make a trade, he will want the mini-mag light or whatever is the most valuable item in the cache. Many parents are not accustomed to denying their children.

You can bawl and moan over these facts, but you cannot change them. I have always maintained that packing geocaches with valuable items is a really bad idea. That will encourage cache piracy. Inexpensive toys, things that make good souvenirs of the hunt, and unique signature items make good trades.

Edited by CharlieP

This issue has been discussed many many times on this board. There are a few facts that are durable.

1. Caches tend to deteriorate in value over time.

2. Harder and more remote caches tend to maintain their value better than easy caches.

3. If you put really valuable stuff in an easy cache, the entire cache will likely be stolen.

4. Geocoins tend to mysteriously disappear from caches.

5. If there are no toys in a cache, and a child (with adult) comes to make a trade, he will want the mini-mag light or whatever is the most valuable item in the cache. Many parents are not accustomed to denying their children.

You can bawl and moan over these facts, but you cannot change them. I have always maintained that packing geocaches with valuable items is a really bad idea. That will encourage cache piracy. Inexpensive toys, things that make good souvenirs of the hunt, and unique signature items make good trades.

I agree. Well said.

Here's what I ordered and drop off in caches. They cost me about $1.06 each, which is about the price of most of the MacDonalds toys and other stuff I have seen. It's a keychain with a knife and a pair of scissors and it's engraved: Compliments of STARPULLER www.geocaching.com

DTF-Large.gif

As a matter of fact I left my first of these puppies at The Hunt Lodge cache on Ft. Leavenworth last night.

Check it out. If you want to up the ante on trading items you have to start. I haven't left any junk at a cache yet (I'm new - so time will tell) but I plan to use my trinkets wisely and leave some nice things when i do. I won't for example leave garbage in the cache like I have seen in some: by garbage I mean a battery, stick of gum, golf ball (highly worn), broken watch, broken knife, cracked flashlight... you get the picture.

On the other hand one cache had a genuine piece of Plymouth Rock in it. How cool was that. I have several pieces of the Berlin Wall. I was going to break up and make 3 - 4 pieces and share some of it. There are many ways to offer interesting things of value. Cachers should be creative and leave for a cache with some forethought... and not scrounge around the floor of their car for something to leave. Anyway, that's what I think and I'm leaving something really cool. What's a buck? Plus I'm advertising the site, the sport and that I leave cool trding items. All win!

Good luck. These and other really cool items are available for a reasonable cost at: National Pens

Edited by StarPuller

instead of a plastic pig from a 100 piece farm set that they paid a buck for!

I just thought that was funny, I find so many of those plastic pigs, in one Preserve near here there's a bunch of caches, I did 8 of them, and it appeared that the last people to find the caches there spread the contents of one bag of farm animals among ALL the caches there, there were a few pigs in one cache, a horse in another, a couple of cows in the next, etc.... :anibad:

I'm personally not in it for the prize. I do sometimes plan my caching trips around certain TBs that I feel I can help out. The "trackable items" stat can sometimes be my motavation.

I agree that leaving broken junk is probably worse than leaving nothing at all. Most of the time, if I'm not trading TBs I like to take nothing and leave either Irish Euro coins (somewhat rare because the Irish don't move around too much), or else old German and Austrian coins that I have left over from when I lived there. Their monatary value isn't much, but Deutchmarks and Shillings are no longer in use so they are a small part of history. When I do this I usually do not take anything but feel good about leaving a cool part of my past out there in cacheland.

Today I went on my first cache and the best thing was a deck of cards from a cruse boat the rest was junk. I left a whistle key chain (yes it was plastic but brand new) and a mini jigsaw puzzle also brand new. I must admit I spent 75cent for both I don’t have a lot of money; it took me 3 years to buy a GPS! I am going to make a cache and I was going to put in it, a carabineer flash light (I put a new battery in it), a little first aid kit, a mini jigsaw puzzle, a kaleidoscope, a around your neck key chain clip, a flashing ball clip, a Clifford bobble head, a (old but all the peaces are there) twister key chain, and a plastic whistle key chain. Is that ok trade items?

I was just reading more and people leave FTF prizes? I guess I will have to get one..

Edited by ninorth

Today I went on my first cache and the best thing was a deck of cards from a cruse boat the rest was junk. I left a whistle key chain (yes it was plastic but brand new) and a mini jigsaw puzzle also brand new. I must admit I spent 75cent for both I don’t have a lot of money; it took me 3 years to buy a GPS! I am going to make a cache and I was going to put in it, a carabineer flash light (I put a new battery in it), a little first aid kit, a mini jigsaw puzzle, a kaleidoscope, a around your neck key chain clip, a flashing ball clip, a Clifford bobble head, a (old but all the peaces are there) twister key chain, and a plastic whistle key chain. Is that ok trade items?

I was just reading more and people leave FTF prizes? I guess I will have to get one..

I'm fairly new to geocaching myself. For me, the thrill is in the hunt. If I find it..I won.

Personally, I don't see a problem placing a cache with the items that you describe. An equal amount of stuff that an adult might find useful and little things that children would get a kick out of. I've only hidden one cache so far, but I jam packed it with things like a mini camera, a deck of cards, a sewing kit, a toy man with a parachute and other new items from the dollar store. I put an envelope in there as well with a "First Prize" ribbon and a token amount of money for a FTF prize.

When I trade, I rarely take anything unless the "little wildchld" is with me and she usually goes for the McToys or the stickers for whatever reason. Most often, if I leave anything it will me a small amount of money. Either a roll of pennies or a dollar. I figure if we take a McToy or a sticker...the money will definitely be a trade up. I also figure that there's not a person on earth that would complain about cash one way or the other. LOL.