Why No Good Trade Items?

derekdoubleut

How come all the caches I find have junk in them? What's the point of trading if there's nothing to trade but McToys and other stuff I'm basically going to place in another cache?

After caching last weekend, I'm going to just sign the logs in my area. I don't get why people don't want to trade items others could actually use.

It's nice to be "rewarded" with a new place to hike to or visit. However, it's also nice to actually trade---the very essence of geocaching.

I'd like to get back to the original idea behind 'caching.

Edited by derekdoubleut

Yep, but there isn’t much you can do about it.

I try to focus on the enjoyment of caching (preparing to cache, the search, the discovery). Usually I just leave things kids would enjoy and take nothing. That at least leaves the cache better than when I found it.

Edit

>New England n00b

>Just try to leave the cache better'n you found it

Dang, beat me to it! :D

Edited by Elf Danach

As above, there are a lot of reasons. Be part of the improvement process, leave things that are what you would like to find.

If enough people in your area do this instead of the geocrap, the standard will be set and new people will learn that trading is part of the game and they need to get some good stuff to trade.

Don't be afraid to TNLS. I do this now a lot. (Took nothing, Left Something)

TNLN can be an abdication of the cache and your responsibility to the next person. TNLS means that you took nothing, for what ever reason, and left something. This means you don't get saddled down with junk that you don't want, but yet don't just leave a crappy cache in the condition its in.

It sounds corny, but you do take something, you take a little good kharma with you.

Granted there are times when TNLN is the only option (If you have nothing that fits the container, for example).

Never fear! The McToy Bandit is here! :D

I hear your cry and I am here to help with this problem one cache at a time.

As I follow my alter-ego from cache to cache, I will be purging caches of crummy McToys and replacing that pile of garbage with a couple nice trade items.

TATCMcTLSNYMLTF

(Took all the crappy McToys, left something nice you might like to find)

I'm placing a cache now that has, among other things, a pocket AM/FM radio, a laser pointer, a foam soft drink can holder, an 8mm video camera tape, and a nice pen still wrapped in a gold box.

I am just now thinking about buying a bulk pack of AA batteries to keep stored in the cache, for people to take what they need. It might be nice for those on a caching run if they accidentally run low, to know there's a spot nearby that's got some.

Next time I see a bunch of crap in a cache I'm going to remove it too. Sometimes it didn't start off that way, but stickers get crumpled, paper items get soggy and mouldy, ...

While caching this past weekend, we found some very nice handmade sig items (small bunches of glass grapes) with ribbons tied at the end -- perfect for Christmas ornaments. We took one for our tree, and then an idea struck us -- this year we will have a second Christmas tree, a "geo-tree" -- the only things on it will be stuff we pick up from caches. Now, we have a whole new set of possibilities every time we find a cache: things that might have looked crappy or useless to us before now might make great geo-tree ornaments. Is it shiny? Ornament! Does it make a little tinkly noise? Ornament! is it red or green or gold or silver? Ornament! Is it a typical McToy we've seen a hundred times? Classic ornament!

A nice side-effect of this idea is that when people see the tree and ask about the ornaments, we'll be able to tell them about geo-caching, while at the same time reminiscing about the specific caches where we found each ornament.

Since I have yet to find anything of true value in any cache that I have found (Even a 5 star difficulty cache), I'm a bit jaded. I go caching to see new areas and find caches. I don't dwell on the cache contents.

If people "expect" to find expensive items in my caches, they will be disappointed.

I live on a tight budget (stay at home wife and a kid) and can't afford to put 50 dollars worth of trade items in caches. Most adults in my area don't trade , so I only fill my caches with toys for kids.

I have one cache with nice trade items in it and in the past 2 months, nobody has touched the nice items.

If I was "expected" to only place nice trade items I wouldn't have hidden 20 caches for everyone's enjoyment.

After a while, many cachers stop trading or only trade when they have kids with 'em. The only reason I carry swag is so I can trade out junk or items I think are inappropriate. First stop after the trail is the nearest trash can.

I can accept that a cache 3 miles away, on top of a hill has an expired coupon, a dirty McToy and an acorn but new cachers or kids won't. I'll freshen up the trade items as best I can and leave it better for the next person. Trash attracts more trash and good swag encourages good swag.

We've ran across lots of junky caches and it's dissapointing to the kids...and myself. We have found some good ones with little card games or nice cars or some other fun little items. But then you get the ones filled with broken and or dirty cars, dirty golf balls (clean ones are fine), little tiny animals (do you take one or the 4 that are in there?) and the obvious Mc Toys which half are broken. All the items I leave are atleast $1+ in value, and we end up taking that dirty car or one little animal.

I am so tempted to make a cache of my own which will containe NICE items! If someone trades junk, I will take it out and replace it. I have wanted to do that with some caches I find, but it would end up costing me a fortune!

I also think some people need to maintain their caches a bit better. We had one where they owner had just visited it a couple days before we found it and there were broken toys in it. Noone else had logged a visit in between his and ours either.

I don't expect expensive or fancy items, but just clean and non broken perhaps to keep it fun for the kids.

Edited by Angy
I don't get why people don't want to trade items others could actually use.

Most of my swag bag is items I've taken from caches, and expect to trade in another cache. I'm not trading for things that I can use, I'm trading for the fun of it. There have been times where there was something I could use, and I like to leave things that are useful (often small tools from the local hardware store) - but that's not main point of trading (to get something for ME to use).

The way caches are handled can cause damage to the contents. Small plastic items banging around in a metal box (with golf balls bouncing around to add to the mixmaster) won't last long. I've found the pieces of items broken off many times, so I don't think all the 'broken toys' are placed in caches in that condition.

It's about the hunt, and the trade is not so I can have something great. If you go to the beach you bring home a sea shell. How much worthless stuff have you spent $8 for on vacation? I trade for the lesser value stuff just to remove it, but I like to trade. It's a souvenir.....I guess. I'd feel self-conscious if it was a new watch, or a mag-light.

A lot of caches start out filled with nice stuff and end up with junk. Inconsiderate geocachers is the reason.

BINGO!

For every person who adds to a cache's "value" by trading up, there are 2 or 3 who really don't think about anyone else but themselves.

These are the same inconsiderate people who take a full shopping cart thru the express lane, or who let their kids run and scream thru a restaurant, or who get up to the toll booth and then start to look for change, or...well you get the idea.

there are many, many reasons why people don't trade 'good stuff' 'Swag Entropy' ismist of uit, I would suppose... Somone who isn't expectig to trade for good stuff because they are used to trading swag. that is what they usually get from a cache. So they are unprepared to trade up. Add to that a lack of imagination. A cache item doesn't have to fall iunto the $5-$10 catagory to e cool. I found many really neat trade items at the local 'Dollar Tree/Dollar Heaven/Dollar King/Everything fer a Buck'' stores. Especially toys for kids.

I suppose many Neo-cachers are a big cause of the degradation of the quality of cache items, too. Which would explain the over abundance of plastic army men, golf Balls and well used hotwheels cars in caches

Break the cycle! No More junk items! please!

A cache item doesn't have to fall iunto the $5-$10 catagory to e cool.  I found many really neat trade items at the local 'Dollar Tree/Dollar Heaven/Dollar King/Everything fer a Buck'' stores.  Especially toys for kids. 

Dollar stores can be a good source of swag, One thing my girlfreid and I look for are signiture items from other cachers. We use custom buttons made for use by Bubble Buttons. We have a 2.5 inch button with our picture on it and we have a 1 inch micro size for micros. These are not very expensive and we like collecting sig items from other cachers, we have found wooden nickles from other cachers and I understand some are using custom poker chip but we have not found any of these.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

How's this for a good reason.

Part of the reason why there's not good stuff is because when people see broken items in caches they complain on the forums about it instead of doing something nice.

If you see a broken item, trash it out.

If you see a dirty golf ball, wipe it off.

If you see an empty cache, fill it up.

If you see a wet log book, replace it.

Take pride in our sport and help with the upkeep.

After a while, maybe the people that trade crap will start to see that people are making an effort to put better stuff in caches and will get the hint.

I am so tempted to make a cache of my own which will containe NICE items!

And you're not doing this for what reason?

I just hid one new cache and replaced one that went missing with new items. Both are screw-top rubbermaid containers ($2-3 depending on size), and both are packed full with good trade items.

The new cache has: (in addition to the log book and pen and motrin coupons) 2 CITO containers, a postcard, stickers, address book, toy shovel, sewing kit, printer's block, Willie Nelson pressed penny, toy delivery van, thing from the TNWRA, waterproof matches, lego basketball man, and a set of jacks.

Total cost of the cache, counting tax $5.74, ( I already had the container).

The replaced cache: stickers | children's book | Cream Coloured MINI | two sets of jacks | resort shower cap | travel chinese checkers | water squirter | Lego basketball man Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks | log book and pen | cache explanation printout in english and spanish.

Total cost of the cache, counting tax $3.02.

The point is, nice items can be found inexpensively and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get them or make the cache.

However, it's also nice to actually trade---the very essence of geocaching. I'd like to get back to the original idea behind 'caching.

There are a lot of reasons for all the junk that accumulates in caches. The first is that people tend to trade to their advantage. Meaning that they'll trade a slightly lesser item for a better one and since many people don't carry items of much value it makes trading for nice items harder... this leads to 2 for 1 type of trades... more stuff accumulates in the cache but the value of that stuff starts to go down. A $1 item becomes two 45 cent items... those become two 30 cent items... and those become four 10 cent items and eventually everything is junk.

I usually just leave my sig item... sometimes I trade for other sig items, but otherwise the trading has taken a backseat to the find for me. I think anyone who gets into geocaching for the treasure is just going to be dissapointed.

My experience in finding and placing caches is that the harder the cache, the better the stuff in it. I have 2 multi caches that have 3 stages to get to them. I started them with good stuff, but they have remained stocked with good stuff. Maybe a better quality of cacher goes after multis.........Almost all cachers in the area pass these by and go for my easier single stage caches.

One of my caches currently has: $2 bill, Eisenhower dollar, CA Geocoin, 1oz silver dollar, $10 gift certificate to a local coffee shop, laser pointer, nylon holder (new) for a GPS, new Corvette Matchbox car, and more. Its hard to find, but I think worth it.

A lot of caches start out filled with nice stuff and end up with junk. Inconsiderate geocachers is the reason.

BINGO!

For every person who adds to a cache's "value" by trading up, there are 2 or 3 who really don't think about anyone else but themselves.

These are the same inconsiderate people who take a full shopping cart thru the express lane, or who let their kids run and scream thru a restaurant, or who get up to the toll booth and then start to look for change, or...well you get the idea.

BONGO! AND YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!

And I think CHEAP cachers - want something for nothing!

which is a paradox after the $$$ spent to play this game.

You have hit on one of my rants -

But I have two more to add to TNLS (left someting)

I'd like to add what I have found in my caches -

TSLN (took something left nothing)

and my other one -

TSLN-BSID (but said I did)

:DB);):D

I was really surprised to find McDonald's halloween coupons in one of my caches this week. I almost took them until I realized they expired a year ago :)

What is the typical amount to spend on cool stuff? I now have some "toy" items, like super balls and slimy worms, to put into kids caches (caught at one yesterday but I didn't have anything to leave for kids) and I also have some "cooler" stuff for adults (outdoor store bumper stickers, bead bracelet, sealed diposable camera, batteries, keychain, and new CDs).

Personally, being a newbie, I would love to come across a cache with actual "Geocaching" merchandise in it.

I'm placing a cache now that has, among other things, a pocket AM/FM radio, a laser pointer, a foam soft drink can holder, an 8mm video camera tape, and a nice pen still wrapped in a gold box.

I am just now thinking about buying a bulk pack of AA batteries to keep stored in the cache, for people to take what they need. It might be nice for those on a caching run if they accidentally run low, to know there's a spot nearby that's got some.

Next time I see a bunch of crap in a cache I'm going to remove it too. Sometimes it didn't start off that way, but stickers get crumpled, paper items get soggy and mouldy, ...

Are you serious?

In creating my first cache, I read through what others had in their caches and decided that I could put a little extra work into mine and actually leave things that would appeal to most geocachers.

Although I didn't spend a whole lot of $$$ on the cache, I did put a lot of time and effort into it. And, I placed a lot of stuff in it, some of which was brand new and had some value to it.

My Geocache

I was really surprised to find McDonald's halloween coupons in one of my caches this week. I almost took them until I realized they expired a year ago :)

What is the typical amount to spend on cool stuff? I now have some "toy" items, like super balls and slimy worms, to put into kids caches (caught at one yesterday but I didn't have anything to leave for kids) and I also have some "cooler" stuff for adults (outdoor store bumper stickers, bead bracelet, sealed diposable camera, batteries, keychain, and new CDs).

Personally, being a newbie, I would love to come across a cache with actual "Geocaching" merchandise in it.

I have purchased a bunch of neat stuff in bulk - what would cost nearly $2.00 to $5.00 I have gotten for less than a dollar - I also hauned a Dollar Store that was very close to me before they closed up last week.

You do not have to spend a lot of money to have nice swag. 1" super balls glow in the dark - carabiner/compass - lady bug cumpass - many different key chains - LED flasher magnet 'pin' - mini key chain calculator - small bus. card size calc w/pen - LED flasher pen

that's just a start - you get the idea -

also got my cache pens ($1.00 doz0 and log note books of several sized for less than $1 -

Some people tend to overvalue what they have, undervalue what they are trading for - sometimes pretty severely. Example:

In a local forum, a cacher was complaining about this very same issue - he was FURIOUS that he took his kids to a cache that was themed on the state of Texas, and found nothing but junk in it - none of it Texas related. He had a themed item to put into the cache, but he decided not to leave it. Know what it was?

A Texas state quarter.

Now, this *did* fit the theme of the cache, but last time I checked, a state quarter, even one from Texas, was still only worth 25 cents. (I know, I know, it's a great injustice - they should be worth more! :) ) So even though he had absolutely the best intentions (and talked him about this, so I really believe he did have good intentions), had he found something nice to trade, he'd have traded it for a quarter - most likely a trade down.

Of course, given what he actually found in the cache, the quarter would have been trading up.

I put nice stuff in my caches. Almost nobody trades equally in them, at least in my experience. (Real example: Took LED flashlight, left Plastic Army Man.)

I am just now thinking about buying a bulk pack of AA batteries to keep stored in the cache, for people to take what they need.  It might be nice for those on a caching run if they accidentally run low, to know there's a spot nearby that's got some.

Next time I see a bunch of crap in a cache I'm going to remove it too.  Sometimes it didn't start off that way, but stickers get crumpled, paper items get soggy and mouldy, ...

Are you serious?

In creating my first cache, I read through what others had in their caches and decided that I could put a little extra work into mine and actually leave things that would appeal to most geocachers.

Although I didn't spend a whole lot of $$$ on the cache, I did put a lot of time and effort into it. And, I placed a lot of stuff in it, some of which was brand new and had some value to it.

Well, I didn't actually end up spending a WHOLE lot on mine either. You'd be surprised how much you can get on a trip to the dollar store. The laser pointer and FM radio were both dollar store items! (Well, OK, they probably cost more on the order of $2.00 each) The rest of the stuff I have been accumulating. I have a box full of "stuff to trade" and whenever I find pens or keychains or other little toys, I'll put it all in the box. When I placed this cache (still in the approval queue) I just crammed all the best stuff into the cache container. I'd like to think it's a little bit of premium swag for the FTF, STF, etc.

It helps that I occasionally attend career fairs and such on my university campus, where everyone gives out little yo-yos or highlighters or pens. A few of those, or a few trade shows, and you've got everything you need for a nice cache. I also purchase promotional marketing pieces for an organization I volunteer with, so not only do I have an ample supply of pens and things, but the company I purchase it from (4imprint) sends me samples of things all the time. Every month I seem to get a new pen or notepad or something. Also good cache swag.

It's all about being resourceful -- and cleaning up the clutter on my desk! :)

i usually only take sig. items or tbs anymore, and i leave froggies (which some may think are junk, but i happen to think are adorable) and mini playing cards or bubbles. usually i go to the party store and buy in bulk things i happen to like, hoping others will like them too, or hit the camping aisle or walmart and look for something cost effective. i'm always on the lookout when i'm shopping for something inexpensive that is pretty neat -- at bed bath and beyond i found these things called "spa eyes" that had liquid in them that you could heat or refrigerate and i thought "hey, those would great for the reluctant spouse of a geocacher! so i bought two. they were only $1.99, and if you pick things up off the cuff, you're much less likely to think of the total cost. anytime i pick something up it ends up in my bag until mext time i go out. clearance racks are great too. :)

You see how cache degradation happens when you read logs (like a recent one for one of my caches) where a finder took a Wheresgeorge stamp and a new waterproof "dry" box (Combined value was about $17) and left a travel bug. Not even a trade item, but a TB! :) .

And for every person who notes trades like that in thier log probably 5 do it and don't mention it.

Another reason caches degrade is because some people seem to think trading a bunch of trash for one good item is even. I'll often see logs like "Took the Petzel Headlamp, left a 15 cents off coupon for Sanka, a ball chewed by the family dog, a rock, some pocket lint, the broken end of a shoelace, two bottlecaps, a penny and a brochure for the Gary Indiana Holiday Inn.

"Took the Petzel Headlamp, left a 15 cents off coupon for Sanka, a ball chewed by the family dog, a rock, some pocket lint, the broken end of a shoelace, two bottlecaps, a penny and a brochure for the Gary Indiana Holiday Inn."

brian, if i ever get up to jersey i'm hunting down one of your caches and this is exactly what i'm going to write that i left. :huh: 'course, that won't be what i left, but it sure will be funny :):ph34r:

While many good responses were added, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't put my two cents in.

My wife and I started the game with a handful of neat items we had lying around the house, and over time have added "Swag Shopping" to our list of weekly things to do.

We find junk in lots of caches, and often times find the caches soaked or opened, dirty inside or just misused. I'm with those who have already posted saying this is the result of sloppy geocaching. Good advice has been doled out; trade down and get the crap out of there, somebody will get the hint.

Posting what you left and what you took might also be a way to get someone's attention. My wife and I often browse the latest postings to see what is there because we're treasure junkies (we even made a special box to hold all of my wife's cach-finds.) We watch them and often pass on some caches because we can get a good idea what's there.

We love the hunt, love the adventure, but we also love the end result, which for us is what we find.

...<<snip>>

It sounds corny, but you do take something, you take a little good kharma with you.

Granted there are times when TNLN is the only option (If you have nothing that fits the container, for example).

That does Not sound corny, it is true. I feel bad and say a little mantra every time I do XN (exchange nothing). I was out of stuff recently, but had an opportunity and took it anyway. Also, I sometimes forget stuff :) or it doesn't fit.

eagerly awaiting my next shipment of pins, and how do people feel about batteries?

I think there is more to it than just a lack of consideration. I think it is also part of human nature to push the edge a bit until we are comfortably experienced. What I see is a lot of experienced cachers upgrading caches and newbies ariving at caches without being sufficiently prepared or without realized what that are doing the first few times. I would suggest that GeoJunk (as my kids call it) is largly the result of a poorly educated and poorly prepaired army of very casual, young or new cachers that don't get it yet.

In the end, I would suggest that the effort experienced cachers (and conciencious newbies) put into improving cache swag helps significantly in providing a possitive experience for all, even if it seems to be and endless and thankless task.

Thanks to everyone that does make and extra effort to upgrade swag!

People are inherently greedy in today's societies.

Many just want as much as possible for as little as possible.

The noble concept of "trading up" just gets consumed in the rush.

The world is an evil place.  :D  :lol:

What a sad perspective.

Do you really think that people are more greedy today than yesteryear?

My experience is that in today's society, we are sufficiently wealthy and secure that huge numbers of us have been able to largely do away with (or dramatically reduce) personal greed. Sure, we are all naturally greedy to some degree. But just look at some of the really cool swag that occationally gets deposited in caches by people that put it there for the pure joy thinking or reading about the joy that others get in finding it.

Awsome swag in every cache would make it less of a hunt for cools stuff anyway. How many of us rush out to some distant cache after some geocoin or other posted swag that is especially cool. If it were in every cache, it wouldn't be cool any more.

Maybe finding the well maintained caches with cool swag is a second level to the sport when finding any cache is no longer an interesting challenge.

I say, CITO, load caches with cool stuff that you think others will enjoy finding, and enjoy the journey. Maybe its kind'a like revenge, it's the journey that matters, because once you get their, the end is empty. Wollow in the journey with lust and vigor, then walk away without the prize. :blink:

I for one am sick of seeing log entries to the tune of: "Took Suunto Compass and Digital Watch, left a pack of stickers."

What the hell is this person thinking? As if the owner would spend, who knows how much, to stock this cache just to have some cheapskate leave a pack of Poke'mon stickers as a "trade"!

Stickers aren't a trade, they are a consolation prize, something given to people who didn't quite make fourth place.

Trade up or don't bother trading!

My 2 cents!

I for one am sick of seeing log entries to the tune of: "Took Suunto Compass and Digital Watch, left a pack of stickers."

...snip...

Stickers aren't a trade, they are a consolation prize, something given to people who didn't quite make fourth place.

2 points...

1) GREAT first post, welcome to the forums.

2) see point one and the quote.

[snip]

Trade up or don't bother trading!

My 2 cents!

Well, here's my two cents:

What is someone thinking if they load up a cache with a bunch of expensive stuff unless they expect people to trade less valuable items for it? Who carries $10+ trading items with them? I sure don't. If I left a $10 item, I certainly wouldn't expect whoever took it to trade up. Heck, the cache would be worth $1000 in no time if that were truely what everyone did. And then, I couldn't afford to Geocache and real cache piracy would become a serious problem.

Yes, I think it would be nice if (with a few exceptions) everyone always traded up or equal (however you manage to equate the value of a custom made trinket to some store bought trinket).

We have an honor system that, although it doesn't lead to lots of high value caches, provides a geat hobby for a lot of people. Caches full of junk get old, but whining about it to these forums is at least as annoying. Afterall, these forums are probably read primarily by people that are into the sport enough that they already trade very well or don't trade at all.

I'm open to contructive suggestions to reduce the problem (like fancy stuff in hard caches or the like), but it would sure be nice to see the whining about it stop.

Just my two cents.

When I posted earlier about stocking my cache (still not approved yet... uh oh) with nice items, I fully expect people will trade down at first. I don't think people will necessarily offer equal or better trades for the laser pointer or for the FM radio. I figure those would make good FTF prizes.. so the first few people will get nice stuff, before it gets traded down.

I just advocate a "minimum standard" of trading where soggy stickers and plastic rings and stuff don't even get put in.

... waterproof matches, ....

Uh. oh. You must have missed the "matches in caches" thread...er, flame war....

Considering we never decided they were against the rules and I took them out of another cache, I think they're fine where they are.

That and the fact that the approver was with me when I hid the cache, I think it's okay.

Some people tend to overvalue what they have, undervalue what they are trading for - sometimes pretty severely. Example:

In a local forum, a cacher was complaining about this very same issue - he was FURIOUS that he took his kids to a cache that was themed on the state of Texas, and found nothing but junk in it - none of it Texas related. He had a themed item to put into the cache, but he decided not to leave it. Know what it was?

A Texas state quarter.

Now, this *did* fit the theme of the cache, but last time I checked, a state quarter, even one from Texas, was still only worth 25 cents. (I know, I know, it's a great injustice - they should be worth more! :) ) So even though he had absolutely the best intentions (and talked him about this, so I really believe he did have good intentions), had he found something nice to trade, he'd have traded it for a quarter - most likely a trade down.

Of course, given what he actually found in the cache, the quarter would have been trading up.

I put nice stuff in my caches. Almost nobody trades equally in them, at least in my experience. (Real example: Took LED flashlight, left Plastic Army Man.)

Sounds like a cache I have.

Granted, mine's a M&Ms container, but I still loaded it with items to trade for.

I used it for a poker run and a newbie cacher went through and let each of her daughters take a charm from my cache. One was a normal charm, one was an Italian charm. Now, considering they were taking it, they must have had a bracelet for it and known that the charms (when they're name brand) are $10-$50 each. Even from WalMart they're a dollar. So she takes these two charms, which I did buy at Wally World for just under a dollar each, and left.............

........a state quarter. Just one single state quarter. Maybe she figured that both items she took fit on a quarter so it was an even trade?

My charms depreciated by 86% on that trade.

Interesting thread - heres my input for what it's worth.

As a newbie, I have been fairly surprised at the mix of "swag" in my first few finds. None of it has been of much monetary value, but some of it has been cool. (carved wooden animals for example). Some of it has been junk. So far I haven't done much trading as I haven't had a chance to buy trade items.

Today however we went to the dollar store and got what I consider to be a collection of cool trade items. We have a cache route planned for tomorrow with a number of theme caches - we bought trade items accordingly. PLus other useful things (lasers, calculators on lanyards etc)

As stated earlier in the thread, if all caches started with expensive items and people traded equal or up (as expected) it would get very expensive very quickly.

We are planning some signature items to leave too, we just haven't got the material yet. Again nothing expensive, but indivdual therefore interesting. I hope!

So my point is.....

Edited by Greasy Rocker

I think your point is that you try to trade equally, and you hope that what you're trading for is quality stuff and that you find it interesting, so you hope that other cachers will, too.

(hey, do I win a prize if I get it right?)

I also think that part of the thing is that if an area really takes pride in caching the trades will continue to reflect that because everyone will have the examples of good cachers who will make good trades.

The first few finders (a family of four - 2 log in names - and two sisters each with their own accounts) of my new cache seem to reflect this. Not sure about my replaced cache, since the first four finders after the re-hide all TNLN.