Garmin Topo Canada - Install/uninstall

tirediron

Okay, Topo Canada's an awesome piece of software, but I am finding it a HUGE pain to add & remove mapsets. Because of HD space limitations on my 'caching laptop, I don't want to always have the same map set loaded on... but despite what looks like a fairly straightforward interface, the only way I can find to add or delete mapsets is to totally uninstall the program, and then reinstall it. Am I missing something or.... :D

When you install the maps sets all it sounds like you need is the southwest map set.

Install that and then pick which parts of Vancouver Island you want from that and install only those on your GPS

If you are having troubles with it still just email me an Ill trey and helpp you out

I have those same programs too.

I haven't done this but see no reason why it would not work. I'll try it tonight if I can clear enough space on my laptop for the full mapset.

Install the full mapset.

Burn the C:\Garmin\CT2 directory to a DVD.

Delete the C:\Garmin\CT2 directory.

Edit the subkeys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\Topo Canada v2 to point to the DVD.

Run the maps from the DVD.

If you don't have a DVD burner or your laptop won't read a DVD then do the same on CD-r for each area. Either way it will probably run a little slower but then again laptop HDs are not very fast to begin with.

If you want more detailed instructions I can post them after I get a chance to do this myself.

After a delay caused by some server issues I got around to doing this. It works just fine and since Mapsource caches the map data while you are working on it there is very little performance degrading.

I have 5 different Canadian mapsets and some custom maps on one DVD with room to spare. This frees up some much needed space on my laptop's HD.

This should also work so that you could keep the map data on the original CD's if you don't have a burner allowing you to use the full set. If you need more details tell me what mapsets you want to use and I'll provide better instructions.