Should I be spending more ???

GrandpaTom

I recently joined into caching. Purchased a low priced unit, Garmin eTrex. (got a good deal at 88 bucks)

As stated in the manual, I can lose signal when there is a lot of trees blocking the view.

My questions is....Do more expensive units have better receiving capability?

the yellow etrex has the same patch antenna that most pricier garmin modles have except for a few quadrifilier helix antenna units which are slightly better under tree cover but not enough to warrant purchacing another unit right away (in my opinion) the yellow etrex will work fine for caching if signal loss due to tree cover is an issue head for a clearing or lighter cover to get position and try to estimate where you need to go.

Eeyore

A rocking chair or a porch swing with an old person in it is a histroy lesson.

E & S speaks truth.

If you really start getting bothered by your reception under tree cover you need to consider getting a GPS that acceptes and external anteanea. That gives you the ability to get much better reception.

In a stock GPS one with a Quad Helix antanea is noticable better under tree cover. Noticly better though isn't "Head and shoulders above" in performance.

Your patch antenaa (I can't spell that dang word) is noticable better near vertical surfaces.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Grandpa,

Looks to me that you're doing just fine with your little yellow, based on your profile! You've picked some more challenging caches and got a first to find.

I used our yellow eTrex exclusively for the first 2 years of caching. Got a Vista for the bells and whistles and because after 2 years I wanted my boys to be able to have their own usit (read as: so I could have one when we cache together) but it really performs no differently than the basic unit.

Welcome to this great hobby. You can be my Grandpa anyday!

George

We rarely lose signal for any length of time under tree cover, in canyons, etc, and we're using a yellow etrex. Have you been having problems, or are you just concerned that the manual cites this as a possibility? Our major cause of signal loss when we're caching is that somebody has the GPS cord around their neck and it flops face-down. Signal is restored as soon as we turn it back face-up. The worst reception we've had is downtown among tall buildings -- man, do those signals bounce around. Not many caches there, though.

Spending more money won't get you a better satellite fix, unless you go all-out on an external antenna. Many thousands of caches have been found with a GPS no pricier than yours... and if a cache is in a spot where tree cover is SO heavy you can't get a decent signal for an extended period of time, it's a bad placement. Often if a cache is in a notoriously poor reception area the owner will offer more clues to make up for it.

The advice here is good. More money won't get you better reception, just additional features. If it's an eTrex, just make sure you have it held flat, out in front of you. You may lose reception (all GPS's do) but you'll get it back quickly.

Also bring a compass. You can to project your waypoint under heavy cover if you lose your reception.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

quote:
Originally posted by GrandpaTom:

I recently joined into caching. Purchased a low priced unit, Garmin eTrex. (got a good deal at 88 bucks)

As stated in the manual, I can lose signal when there is a lot of trees blocking the view.

An external antenna makes a big difference. I have a Mighty Mouse II for my Garmin GPSMAP76S and I rarely loose reception. And the lock on satellites remains very good too!

Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Actuary:

quote:

An external antenna makes a big difference. I have a Mighty Mouse II for my Garmin GPSMAP76S and I rarely loose reception. And the lock on satellites remains very good too!

_Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend_

I was going to ask, then I found the prices easy enough: Ballpark cost for a GPSMAP 76S is $350 + $60 for the Mighty Mouse II

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by elmo-fried:

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Actuary:

quote:

_Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend_

I was going to ask, then I found the prices easy enough: Ballpark cost for a GPSMAP 76S is $350 + $60 for the Mighty Mouse II

Jason Roysdon

http://jason.roysdon.net/

There are cheaper units out there that allow for antennas (both new and used). But like anything else, if you want more - you pay more. If not losing reception under tree cover is important to you, then you'll have to cough up a few more bucks.

Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend