Vistac And Compass

moonpup

This issue is driving me crazy. I've calibrated and re-calibrated the compass numerous times, yet I'm always seeing the hold level warning. On occassion it will go away if I hold it just right (but that's a rare occurence), I can even set it down on a table and leave it alone for 5 minutes and it will still say hold level.

As far as I can tell, it displays the accurate heading and bearing when comparing it with my Suunto Global compass. Can someone tell me why this hold level warning will not go away no matter what I do?

Thanks!

I know the "Hold Level" warning can be a real pain.

However it has nothing to do with the calibration.

Try this ...

Get a little round level from the hardware store. They come in handy for a number of things and don't cost much.

Put the level on top of the GPSr (where the compass display is) and tilt the unit until the level bubbles to the center. That is what the GPSr thinks is level and should make the "Hold Level" message go away. Try this a couple of times and you will forever know what level is.

I'll give that a try, just to see what comes of it.

One thing I did notice after re-calibrating the compass again last night was that I set the gps on a table and when turning the unit made sure not to lift it off the table and kept it completely flat. This has seemed to make a bit of difference for the better. Maybe lifting the unit while turning affected it somehow.

Cheers!

From what I've seen, how the unit is held when calibrating does make a difference when in use. All sorts of things seem to mess up how it works, such as metal in the area when doing the calibration. What I do now when I change batteries in the field is to simply hold the unit level pointing straight away from me, then I turn in a circle. I don't know why, but it seems to work as good if not better than when I tried putting it on a piece of wood and turning it around that way.