Trakc Point Trivia

user13371

What handheld GPS can hold the most active track points in memory, without having to swap to some form of secondary storage?

The Lowrance iFinder Pro/H2O/Hunt series GPSRs can retain around 58000 total points in primary memory, and you can always swap to MMC/SD card if you need to.

Edited by lee_rimar
...Magellan Meridians can save them to a SD memory card, giving you virtually unlimited track log recording capability.

How does Magellan MapSend (or other PC software for use with Magellans) deal with saved track files? Can you load saved track files from the memory card into the PC software for review?

I think the Lowrance is still best in this category, with around 58000 points AND the ability to save to a memory card. But it has what I consider some annoying deficiencies:

1) Lowrance doesn't put a timestamp or elevation on track points

2) When imported into their map software, you can see the track drawn on a map, but have no access to the individual points data.

I resolved the latter problem by writing my own decoder for the track data. But the tgimestamps and elevations recorded in tracks would require a firmware update - and would cut the track point capacity by at least half.

I wouldn't mind having "only" 25000 or so track points, but Lowrance doesn't seem to want to do that ;)

1) Lowrance doesn't put a timestamp or elevation on track points

Hope they change their minds on that. My Garmin has far fewer points, but I wouldn't be willing to exchange the elevation and time data in return for more.

The timestamps are useful in correlating positions to time-stamped digitial photos and also in getting speed information from the tracklog data. And I like to review the elevation profiles of hikes and bicycle rides I've recorded when I go back to some of the same areas.

OTOH, the Lowrance tracklogs are more useful for creating 'pseudo-maps' of trail systems, new roads, etc. than either Garmin's or Magellan's. I use the "Saved" tracks in my Garmin for displaying local bike trails, but the Lowrance units would allow for more points and differentiating the trails with different line types.

Can you load saved track files from the memory card into the PC software for review?

I'm not sure if you can load the file directly, but you can easily reload the track into the GPS, and then import it to your favorite software like any other track.

I've got about 75 tracklogs of various length saved on my SD card. They don't take up a whole lot of room, and I have plenty of space.

Jamie

BlueLogger ... looks like a nice fit.

A fine thing for recording tracks, sure. But you can't use it as a stand-alone unit like any of the Lowrance, Garmin, or Magellan handhelds I was talking about. It's not even good for caching unless you're also bringing along a computer or pda to view your position.

Edited by lee_rimar
I wouldn't be willing to exchange the elevation and time data in return for more (points)

For now I'm willing to accept the compromise. But that's just my opinion - and all things being equal, I really do miss having that data on my track logs. Every time I have an excuse to talk to Lowrance support about something, I mention this feature request.

And I don't care what anyone says, memory is not the issue. Adding timestamps and elevation to track logs might cut the number of available points down 25000-30000. That's still way more than any competing handheld unit. The real issue is software compatibility; GDM and MapCreate would need modifications to decode a new tracklog format.

...timestamps are useful in correlating positions to time-stamped digitial photos and also in getting speed information from the tracklog data

Agreed. Lowrance does record time & elevation in waypoints, and you can "quick save" a waypoint by hitting the Enter key twice. When I'm hiking or biking I do this practically by reflex whenever I'm stopped for more than a minute. That would probably serve for matching up photos and at least rough speed estimates.

I used to do that on my SporTrak also - because it was easier to spot the waypoints later than to scan the tracklog looking for the stops.

The Magellan GPS-315 claims to hold 20,000 POI's or points of interest. You can add 500 waypoints and create up to 20 routes. It will only hold the current track in memory and has no means of storing a track, except to convert a track to a route.

The Magellan Meridians allow 500 waypoints also in hard memory at once but you can store many more on SD cards. As many as the card holds. Then, you can load the groups from the card, but the file must not have more than 500 and loading a group from the card adds to any waypooints that are already in memory if you didn't clear memory first. The pratical limit is smaller than 500 since mapping software like Mapsend DirectRoute creates waypoints and routes on the fly and needs this same hard memory to do so.

Map regions, tracks, routes, and Waypoint lists can all be stored on SD cards, swapped back and forth to the computer for editing, loaded from the computer to the card using a card reader, or loaded to the card from the GPS.