My Brain Saved My Life On A Cache Hunt

Mxyzptlk

Ok, I'm sick of the gun debate on the 'real' forum. :rolleyes: Whenever I see the original thread, I think it should read something more like below.... Am I crazy? Has anyone else used their brain to save their life on a cache hunt?

I am alive today because I used my brain while Geocaching, This weekend I went after a cache in the middle of the forest the Caches was about 50 miles from the nearest hospital and about five miles off a main road on a two track trail, from where I parked the car it was about a 3/4 mile hike into the forest to the cache, as I was walking out from the cache, I saw a very large rattler , I walked around him, snapped a picture and let him go about his business. Made it home for dinner and uploaded the picture to my cache log entry.

Walking around a rattler is generally quite easy. I have done it several times. They rattled, I took a decent arc around them (and also took some pics), and all was fine. The problem would be when you are not paying attention and almost step on one. Then you might be close enough to make it strike. Of course at that point I figure a gun is little help unless you are a very quick draw! Keeping watch of the trail is the best thing. So I like this "brain" thread! :rolleyes:

Walking around a rattler is generally quite easy. I have done it several times.

I was heading out caching one day, on an early, damp dark morning... just like this morning. SUDDENLY, before I could go very far, I heard a rattler. "Holy Bleep," I said, "A rattler... in Massachusetts?! This early in the morning!" (I really said "Holy Bleep" by the way, that's just how I talk.)

Anyway, I was scared. For a moment I saw my life flashing before my eyes. I didn't know if I could face a rattler without a sidearm.

Well, as I turned the corner, the rattle got louder and louder, I knew I would see it any minute.

Then, suddenly I heard a baby crying. Oh my god, what if the crying was connected with the rattler! I'd better move quicker!

As I turned the corner, I discovered, to my dismay, that the two sounds WERE related. My neice had dropped her rattler.

I picked it up, gave it to her, and continued out the door to go Geocaching.

THAT, my friends, was a close one.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Pantalaimon
If i have a choice btween my brain and my .357 against a rattler, I'll take the pistol anyday.

I generally like to use one in conjunction with the other. The starter of this thread seems to think they are mutually exclusive.

For Geocaching purposes I do think they are mutually exclusive. The other thread has turned into a debate about gun rights & safety - not why we would need guns to Geocache.

This is hilarious, I can't believe that it is even being discussed. I have NEVER taken a firearm on a cache hunt, but I have no problem with those that do. Just the other day, I was out with my 14 year old and 8 year old, caching. We were about 20 feet apart in knee high grass. They said they heard a rattle in the grass. I told them to freeze, and look around. When they didn't see anything, I told them to back straight up, slowly. I did NOT run over there, as that would frighten the rattle snake even more. We got out of that area safely, but it shows that you can use your brain, but sometimes you need more. We have had several Mountain Lion attacks in our area recently, would like to see you "walk around" a hungry mountain lion!!!

This is hilarious, I can't believe that it is even being discussed. I have NEVER taken a firearm on a cache hunt, but I have no problem with those that do. Just the other day, I was out with my 14 year old and 8 year old, caching. We were about 20 feet apart in knee high grass. They said they heard a rattle in the grass. I told them to freeze, and look around. When they didn't see anything, I told them to back straight up, slowly. I did NOT run over there, as that would frighten the rattle snake even more. We got out of that area safely, but it shows that you can use your brain, but sometimes you need more. We have had several Mountain Lion attacks in our area recently, would like to see you "walk around" a hungry mountain lion!!!

Its very easy to walk around a hungry mountain lion. Just because you shoot them a couple of times doesn't mean theyre any less hungry. :rolleyes:

Of course you don't "need" a gun to geocache. I don't think I have ever taken mine on a backcountry cache hunt, but have several times hiking in some more "extreme" places.

That said, if a gun makes someone feel better and they are legally entitled to carry one, I say knock yourself out.

Edited by Bull Moose

yep, check out what I said about Mtn lions on the other thread.

I wholeheartedly agree, if you feel you need a gun, maybe you need to hike with more caution and look up every once in awhile.

snakes are a cinch to avoid, mtn lions, it just won't be an issue, unless you have the gun out and are ready to take aim the whole time you are hiking.

Of course you don't "need" a gun to geocache. I don't think I have ever taken mine on a backcountry cache hunt, but have several times hiking in some more "extreme" places.

That said, if a gun makes someone feel better and they are legally entitled to carry one, I say knock yourself out.

I agree with you Bull Moose. If you feel more comfortable carrying a gun and legally entitled to then go for it. If you read the other thread you would think all rattlesnakes are like Coily found in Q*Bert. In my opinion you don't need a gun to protect yourself from snakes while Geocaching.

snake2_lg.jpg

Edited by Mxyzptlk