Very important reminder!!!

KRMarlo

Listen to the advice and warning everyone.

Always, always, ALWAYS mark your vehicle as a waypoint when you arrive at a site you'll be hunting on!!!

We botched this afternoon in a mild bout of complacency and found ourselves roaming for three hours before finally finding our car!

The two seconds it would have taken to make a waypoint out of our vehicle would have given us the time to go have sushi at our favorite place (very near the cache site we explored) before it closed...at 10:00 PM!!!!

A hard learned lesson in being cautious. We'll spare you learning it the same way....mark your cars!!! You won't regret it! icon_wink.gif

Never hold back your step for a moment...

Never doubt that your courage will grow...

Hold your head even higher, and Into the Fire we go!

And more often than not, I forget!

I've set my car as one of my favorites on my Venture, so it's quick and easy to get to and then I just reposition it to the current location. I've also compensated for my forgetfulness to do this at the car by setting a "trail" waypoint/favorite. That way I can mark the spot where I left the main path to find the cache.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I often forget to set a waypoint also, but I always have the electronic breadcrumbs that I can follow back to the truck. And I carry extra batteries. So unless I fall and break my GPSr, I should always be able to get back to the truck.

Are there models of GPSr that don't have track logs?

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

We use an eTrex Legend which does support bread crumb trails. In this lies our second error.

We chose to navigate along paths as we hit them in hope they led to the car as opposed to fighting our way back the way we came. We visited two caches in the same location, so the track log would have brought us first back to the 1st cache, and then along the difficult bushwhacked path we took to get there.

Three hours and pained legs later we would have been better off braving the bushwhacking a second time. icon_smile.gif

Live and learn I suppose.

-KRMarlo

quote:
Originally posted by GPThespians:

We use an eTrex Legend which does support bread crumb trails. In this lies our second error.

We chose to navigate along paths as we hit them in hope they led to the car as opposed to fighting our way back the way we came. We visited two caches in the same location, so the track log would have brought us first back to the 1st cache, and then along the difficult bushwhacked path we took to get there.

Three hours and pained legs later we would have been better off braving the bushwhacking a second time. icon_smile.gif

Live and learn I suppose.

-KRMarlo

I'm not sure how knowing where your destination is, especially when you've bushwacked, will tell you which of diverging trails will get you there. Especially if you bushwacked to get to the trails in the first place.

But maybe that's because I've often hiked in areas where two trails only diverge slightly at the beginning and you can go pretty far down the wrong one before you realize it.

Nothing wrong with checking out the maps of the area first. They may be out of date but they're better information than no information at all.

And, at least in the US, with the maps widely available on line, there's rarely any excuse not to.

Whenever I forget to waypoint the vehicle, it invariably becomes a time when I really NEEDED to waypoint the vehicle. icon_smile.gif

That also applies if you park somewhere, get out and bike, then have to leave your bike while you go the last 100 feet to the cache, wade through the swamp, etc...it's a good habit.

At a cache in a densely vegitated area recently I propped my bike up against a tree while I scrambled through palmettos and pine trees to get to the nearby cache. After I logged the cache it took a while to locate the bike again, because I had wandered a bit while zeroing in on the cache. Never thought it was possible to lose track of a bright yellow bike, but it happens. icon_smile.gif