Not Signing The Log Book

GEOCUBANS

I found a cache yesterday that is 10 feet off the ground. It requires you to climb the side of a public building to retrive the cache. You can see it from the ground with no problem. Would you consider that a find and go ahead and post it as a find or should you only post a find if you sign the log? What do you think?

Sign it, log it.

Don't sign it, post a DNF. Feel free to explain why you're posting it this way. Technically, if you haven't signed the log book, it's not a find.

There are several caches in my area that are easily seen, but take some work to retrieve. One of them even has a "code word" at the top of the log book that you have to email to the hider to verify that you had the cache in your hand.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure we'll hear about it shortly...

Sign the log before logging a find. Simple. Or shall we get into grey areas. I saw the sidewalk that I needed to stand on to see the log on the building. I saw the spot that the log used to be in but is gone now. So many times I wanted to claim a log because I found the true spot but the cache was gone but since I didn't sign the log it is a do not find and then note why. Noting why you log a dnf is more important to other cachers then anything else. I saw one that said, we saw the cache but couldn't get to it due to a nest of bees and we all got stung. I knew I wouldn't even look for that one and risk getting stung but if they had logged it because they saw it, I could have been at risk of having a reaction to the stings.

I know of a cache that the owner has stated that since the container is difficult to retrieve sending him a picture or a detailed description is an acceptable Found. Another cache stated that it is difficult to retrieve but you must sign the log.

If you are unable or unwilling to make the retrieval there is no harm in asking providing you 'prove' you spotted the container. If the owner gets enough requests of that nature they may just end up specifying the requirements on the cache page. Ask first and see what happens.

No, I do not equate this with logging a found just because you think you know where the cache should be.

Criss Cross Cache

Several people have found the location but have been unable to reach the cache. If you think you've found the right place but can't reach the cache container, send me an e-mail describing the location and if it's the right place, go ahead and log the find.

Edit: added link

Edited by Elf Danach
...since the container is difficult to retrieve sending him a picture or a detailed description is an acceptable Found.

So this is how you sneak a virtual cache by the approvers!

You place the cache where it is difficult or near impossible to retrieve. Then you just have the cachers email you to verify the find.

Genius!

...since the container is difficult to retrieve sending him a picture or a detailed description is an acceptable Found.

You place the cache where it is difficult or near impossible to retrieve. Then you just have the cachers email you to verify the find.

Genius!

LOL, good point! :rolleyes:

Genius!

:rolleyes:

No, just not discriminating against the members of the short arm society

I say, cache owners rules.

Ask the owner. This winter the kids and I decided we wanted to get a cache in while in Montreal. We found one near our hotel, but once we found the cache it was frozen in there.

I took a pic, and e-mailed the owner. He said it was OK to log it as a find, but if he had said no, I would have respected that too.

Can't hurt to ask. If the owner says yes, then yes.

Scott

I have done what McKenzie Clan describes, and wrote to the owner of a cache that I could not open due to ice. I would've ruined the plastic tackle box. I believe it's the only logbook out of over 1,000 that I have not signed!

But if I see an altoids tin that's magneted 15 feet up a light pole, and it's a bright sunny day, there's NO WAY I am gonna log a find just for looking at it. The whole point of this cache is to figure out a way to retrieve it. Just in the past month, I've been in a group that found one such cache by standing on top of a jeep and another by sending a team member on a long hike to the top of a 15 foot retaining wall, where he could grab the cache from the pole. I've done the "human pyramid" by having someone stand on my shoulders to retrieve a cache. I've climbed trees. I've read stories of others who have fashioned long poles with grabbers on the end to retrieve the container.

If figuring out a solution to the height challenge is not possible or fun, then I suggest skipping that cache. I don't own a boat, so I don't do many hydrocaches, and you won't see me logging them because I saw the island from the shore of the lake.

"Take something, leave something, and sign the log." If you want to take nothing and leave nothing and not sign anything because you didn't open the container, that's your game.

Edited by The Leprechauns
... and another by sending a team member on a long hike to the top of a 15 foot retaining wall, where he could grab the cache from the pole.

Hey, that was me! I had reached that little sucker a few weeks earlier with a golf ball retriever but this time I just helped out Lep, CCCA, & SBux by walking around and up the wall. I gotta admit that it was fun sliding down the pole like a fireman. :D

Edited by Tprints