Sportrak Computer Connection

Hikers 105

For my Meridian I bought the Magellan swivel mount to leave on my desktop. It has a provision to accept the data cable as semi-permanently attached to the mount, such that you can snap the GPS in and it mates with the data cable without that #%&*# screw.

I would suspect (though I have never verified) that Magellan must have a similar accessory for SporTracks.

For my Meridian I bought the Magellan swivel mount to leave on my desktop. It has a provision to accept the data cable as semi-permanently attached to the mount, such that you can snap the GPS in and it mates with the data cable without that #%&*# screw.

I would suspect (though I have never verified) that Magellan must have a similar accessory for SporTracks.

yup - got one for mine - me thinks it is like $40 - check out the Magellan site for accessories -

yup - got one for mine - me thinks it is like $40 - check out the Magellan site for accessories -

That's a good place to start so you know what you're looking for, but it is usually good to look elsewhere for purchase. Magellan is not very competitive in their online store. IIRC I got my Meridian swivel mount for $15 or so someplace. (The $40 you mention probably was for the vehicle mount with the suction cups, no?)

I used the same solution as Embra for a long time.

The solution I currently use and really like is to back that stupid lanyard screw out of the cable and replace it with a shouldered extension thumbscrew from a data cable such as a SCSI, Parallel, or Serial cable.

I don't feel like hooking up my camera right now, but start with a scrap cable that looks vaguely like http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...asp?T1=126+1130 and the solution will be obvious. I find that the ones with a "shoulder" on the shaft work best, but I'm guessing my cable closet gives me more choices than most of you will have. :-)

Was thinking about the same thing for home. Same snap in principle as the car mount. Certainly less annoying then that screw. (It is much cheaper on ebay.)

The screw is the same screw and insert as in the battery case and a very poor design. Mine is long since stripped, and it happens to a lot of them, so at one point you may need it anyway.

When I buy a different unit, I am sending my maggy back to the factory and see if they make good on their poor screw design without charging me.

I have never heard of a stripped screw before. Mine works fine and holds the connection really tight regardless of the conditions or how the unit is being held. But I don't have to use the screw anymore. I got the suction cup windshield mount for my vehicles and I made a cradle for my desktop. That's the purpose of my post - I think some of you might be interested in my cheap alternative to buying a cradle just for your desk. I made mine of Plexiglas using the standard connector. I could try to describe the method used, but my real problem is showing pictures. I have pictures but can't figure out how to put them in my post. ???? I have searched for the answer and haven't found it. I can follow someone's instructions or email the pictures if anyone is interested.

...I think some of you might be interested in my cheap alternative to buying a cradle just for your desk. I made mine of Plexiglas using the standard connector.

I would be interested in a general method. Not just for the SporTrack - I'd love a cheap alternative to buying custom cradles for a variety of gadgets. RAM mounts work well but I have so many gadgets that they just get to be too expensive!

Anyhow, if you have pictures stored online somewhere, let's say:

http://www.yoursite.com/picture1.jpg

You can insert it in your message using the IMG tag, like this:

[IMG=http://www.yoursite.com/picture1.jpg]

The IMG button on the message composition window helps get the formatting right - the real trick is having an image store somewhere online to use.

That's a good place to start so you know what you're looking for, but it is usually good to look elsewhere for purchase. Magellan is not very competitive in their online store. IIRC I got my Meridian swivel mount for $15 or so someplace. (The $40 you mention probably was for the vehicle mount with the suction cups, no?)

nope - look at the photo above -

it is the swivel mount - like the others I have it on my desk -

is made for a boat or whatever - the bottom place screws down - side handles lock the rotate plate -

the clip in is great --

SporTrakcradle.jpgThanks lee_rimar, I will try to post a picture.

Homemade desktop cradle – easy and cheap!

I made a crude but very functional cradle for my SproTrak Pro, and decided to share it for what it is worth to anyone. I used regular sheet Plexiglas cut to ample width and length. I formed the curves with a regular plumbing torch. There are better ways to do this, but I just moved the flame quickly back and forth along the OUTSIDE of the bend I was working on. I kept the flame a good distance from the plastic; when it started to bubble a bit, I just pushed the curve to where I wanted it with a piece of wood. Cut and form the very top area BEFORE marking the connector cut-out, because the position of this cut-out depends on how the unit sits on the plastic finger you have made at the very top. Once the topmost part that actually holds the unit is curved to fit the little pocket on the back of the GPSr, heat and bend the bottom making a nice angle so the unit won’t fall off and so it will make a solid electrical connection. Then with the unit placed on the plastic just like it will sit, trace the outline of the connector, cut it out with a Dremel or whatever, and then use a rubber “O” ring to hold the connector in place. There is a groove all the way around this piece that the “O” ring (or rubber band) will fit into, preventing the connector from slipping out of the Plexiglas. Now the “captive screw” that normally holds the connector to the unit is not necessary – the unit will simply rest against the contacts. The marble base is just for weight and stability and came off of a trophy I got for being the world’s best photographer! You all know that’s a joke, right? It was just a desk pen holder but most anything will work. I made the cradle as a crude prototype so it looks a bit funny, but it worked flawlessly so I just kept on using it.

After readsing the previous thread, I went to a local sporting goods store and found the swivel mount for $17, ttok it home, tested it, and BINGO - all set up.

Then, to make it more stable without screwing it to my desktop (a rolltop my wife would kill me for if I did that) I got some stick-on velcro and applied it so that it velcros to the top of a serial port a/b switchbox that sits on the desk top where it shares space with my wife's palm cradle.

Stable to use, easy to move, greatly simplifies connection, and pretty reasonable cost. Thanks for the leads!