New Tb Design

Jeremy

I am HUGELY in favor of giving the TB purchaser an option of two tags, one tag or NO tags (as referred to in an earlier post). This would allow the cacher the flexibility to pay according to their budget and desire. The money made from selling numbers without tags (we are talking a real cash cow here if they were sold for $1.00 each) would make up for some of the inconvenience of having to order doubles of certain numbers.

Maybe also a new number series (alphanumeric, for example) could be started for each type (2,1,0 tags) to make it easier on the manufacturer. Strictly numeric serials would remain the standard for double-tags, alphanumeric serials could signify single tags, and an NT- prefix (standing for No Tag) would tell the cacher to look for a home-made or unconventional tag.

This could also keep the manufacturer from getting confused on how many to make. The serial number plainly tells them.

The biggest problem I could see is if people got so bizzare in making their own "tags" that the tags became rediculously unrecognizable.

Something that might help (which you may already do but it's not obvious from the web site without having an unreported bug to report), is offer the option of a simple mailing address for people who accidentally find bugs to post the bug to. The ideal is for them to put it in another cache but if a muggle finds one it'd be good to have it posted back to Groundspeak.

:blink:

Okay, so I'm going to get called to task for the foolishness of this question, but are there any folks who buy these tags for travel bugs that the finder is supposed to keep? I can see that most of you are passionate about the "Don't keep me" text, but are all travel bugs that way? Okay, now you can tell me that this kinda the point of the travel bugs... I just wondered though.

Hi all!

I've read thru all the postings in this topic, and I agree with the final design. It's short, concise and to the point. It would take a really stupid person not to understand what a TB is and what the idea is. Besides, if the cache where it's placed is marked properly and has a note explaining what the idea of geocaching is, then it shouldn't be a problem. :blink:

Strictly numeric serials would remain the standard for double-tags, alphanumeric serials could signify single tags, and an NT- prefix (standing for No Tag) would tell the cacher to look for a home-made or unconventional tag.

The biggest problem I could see is if people got so bizzare in making their own "tags" that the tags became rediculously unrecognizable.

Umm.. Why would an NT- serial number tell the cacher looking for the bug anything? They should not have the serial number until they found the bug. Unless I've missed something.

As for homemade tags. I can see where that could get a few bugs left behind or (even worse) KEPT. The point of the wording on the new tags is to remind people they are not trade items and not to be kept. If they don't recognize their find as a TB because of an absent Groundspeak tag... it's probably never going to see another cache.

I ran across a similar item in a cache. There's another site issuing tracking numbers for hitchhikers. They give you a few free numbers, but it's up to you to make your own tags. This item I found had a wooden nickle attached to it. How many people find wooden nickles expecting them to be travel bugs?

One thing about the bright colors for TB tags...

I tried anodizing two copy tags that Geowelch so kindly donated for me to test.

The bad news is the alloy used to make the current tags is unsuitable for anodizing due to the many other metallic components in it that aren't aluminum :D

If the new tags are made using an alloy that is more pure aluminum then there is still hope for getting those "funky bright colors"...

Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen since alloys that are more pure are more expensive also.

... and I was Sooooo looking forward to releasing some custom TB tags too...

oh-well

M.D.

Maybe the caches should have a bigger more noticeable way of saying a TB is there. TB logging should be more up front than it is now. Perhaps a penalty should be enacted on TB thiefs. Yet still if a cache is muggled and a TB is/was in it there is still nothing that can be done. I think that TB safty needs to be inproved on-line and maybe not in the tag. Somebody with a connection to the website people should open up a new thread for a topic like this. Several people in the forums are thinking about giving up on TBing altogether. This should be prevented as TBs make Geocaching much more fun if you think about it.

I think this looks LOVELY! :blink:

I do have one question though? Maybe not this design, but later, can we get a way or a place to put the MISSION on the TB? I have seen so many that don't have any mission stated, pick them up, then go home to log it - ONLY to find out that it wants to go in a completely different direction! :o

I have found that the plastic "ID BADGE" sleeves like I use at work do help - I put the info on paper and then slide it on the item itself, but it's still a beast since most people aren't doing this.

Thoughts?

I don't think that would really be a feasible thing for Groundspeak to be in charge of. Especially considering the fact that many bugs will have changing goals. Once it gets to a certain place it wants to go else where, etc. It's really the owner's responsibility if they want their bug to do a certain thing, they need to let people know. I've seen some where people have used those Pet ID tag machines like you see in Wal-Mart and other stores and created a goal tag to attach with the TB tag. Alot of people just put a goal sheet in a Ziploc with the TB since they think ahead to provide protection for their bug. I recently ran across a stuffed animal TB that without a ziploc. Luckily he was still dry, but I knew there was rain coming soon and wanted to make sure he stayed that way so I stuck him in a baggie before I re-released him.

As far as getting a bug and then finding out once you log it that it wanted to go in the other direction... if the bug's goal isn't with the bug, it's not your fault. Unless you check the bugs webpage before you go to the cache... there's no way of knowing it has a goal until you get it home. The owner can't really blame you because he/she didn't make the effort to make the goal known.

I agree with teamzebra. If the TB owner fails to put a mission in with their TB, it's not your fault if you pick it up and can't help it. We try to always check where the Tb is going first, but if there isn't a mission attached, we still take the TB, at least it's still moving and the TB owner will know it's still active.

When we find one like that, most of the time, we will put the TB in a ziploc with their mission, so that the next finder will be able to tell where it's going.

When we find one like that, most of the time, we will put the TB in a ziploc with their mission, so that the next finder will be able to tell where it's going

I just found Manfred the Monkey in my cache without a goal, so I took him home, fluffed him up, put him in a baggie and wrote his goal on a label and stuck it to the baggie (printer down).

The two bugs that hubby and I have released were in baggies, but I forgot to put the goal in with one of them. I went back to the cache later that day and someone had already grabbed her! Oh, well.....at least she's moving!

I've ordered a few tags, just waiting on them now, so found this thread interesting.

I kept thinking that in all this discussion, I didn;t see anyone suggest mentioning that the object the tags were attached to was not to be kept.

Something like:

Don't Keep Me

(or What I'm Attached To)!

Just my 2 cents.

We're redoing the travel bug design to add the new Groundspeak logo. We're also changing the manufacturing method to allow us to print alphanumeric codes, making it more difficult to figure out. The tags will be more rectangular but we'll still be using the same aluminum material and printing method.

How is the text? It needs to be straight and to the point.

new_tb.gif

The front of the tag will have the barcoded travel bug logo as it is now.

I agree, it is straight, and to the point.

1: Like the bold text for "DO NOT KEEP ME!".

2: Don't like 2 sizes (regular/micro), keep the 1 size.

3: Like the idea of colored tags. Could you do "normal" tags at one price and "delux" tags at a *slightly* higher price? :- "delux" = colored.

4: Like the option of getting a COPY tag as it has the tag# and if Groundspeak's database ever has a problem (hope not) you might lose your tag#. With my COPY tag I have proof that x-x-x-x is my number to re-register the bug when the database is back up & running.

Thanks for the chance of adding some input into the design of the new tags.

xyzzy420

Edited by xyzzy420

I guess I'm a little late into the mix. I'm new to gc-ing and GPS. I've read many of the comments here although was not able to get to them all. A couple comments:

We all know that text communication can sometimes come off as blunt and rude when we are just trying to be forthright and emphatic. It really wouldn't hurt (and might help) to use a "please" and "thank you" on the bug.

I read the arguments regarding punctuation vs no punctuation. All I have to say about that is we should be consistent. Why is punctuation used to terminate the first line and then none thereafter?

Here is my suggestion:

------------------------

Please do not keep me

I am a Travel Bug

I travel from

cache to cache

Please visit

www.Groundspeak.com

to learn more about me

and how to help me

on my journey

Thank you

-------------------------

OK, I will let you eliminate the "thank you" if there really is no room for it, but use at least one "please". Ooops, that was a little blunt wasn't it? I should have said, "please use at least one 'please'"

:cry:

One last thought--

Without punctuation there should be at least some slight separation between the sentences for clarity. (OK I know we are REALLY out of room on the bug now).

Edited by media601
We're redoing the travel bug design to add the new Groundspeak logo. We're also changing the manufacturing method to allow us to print alphanumeric codes, making it more difficult to figure out. The tags will be more rectangular but we'll still be using the same aluminum material and printing method.

How is the text? It needs to be straight and to the point.

new_tb.gif

The front of the tag will have the barcoded travel bug logo as it is now.

I like it, but signal needs to be on there too. Im partial to the frog.

B)B)B)B)B)B):D:D:DB)

Modified design. Thoughts?

new_tb2.gif

I really like the bolding and the "Do Not Keep Me!".

I miss the "picking up stories" language from the old ones. It encourages people to share more about their bug find. OTOH, this will hopefully keep the bugs traveling.

I'll miss the second tag.

Thanks for your work on the new design.

The words 'Do Not Keep Me' should definitely be bolded. Ignore the please and thank you aspects.

Instead of Groundspeak.com address, there should be a url (like geocaching.com/track) that has the main rules prominently list.

Groundspeak is great, but navigating a web forum can be confusing and time consuming for a lot of people. A single URL that has the rules/info and means for logging would be best.

Besides the general 'this is a geocache' page that is laminated and attached to my cache, I have a rule sheet regarding TBs to people can be informed as to how they are used before even grabbing them from my cache.