New Tb Design

Jeremy

As a side note, we're considering only selling 1 tag instead of a tag and a copy tag. Since we will be able to print on demand we can always print a new tag number if the first one goes missing. This will also reduce the cost since we only need to manufacture one of them.

No, no, no, no NO! I REALLY appreciate having the copy. I have it on my desk near my computer (in among all the other crap) and it helps me visualise( yeah, I know) where the tag might be. New design looks good though. I noticed the ink on the older ones I got looked a little iffy. Any ideas?

With so many micro caches out there it would be nice to have a smaller size so these can fit as well....as long as what's attached to it fits too. :unsure:

I just activated my first travel bug today. It is designed to fit in 35mm film canisters. All I had to do was bend it in a circle that would fit the inside diamater of the film canister (I used a screw driver handle). Take a look at it, it should work for you as well. Its' id# is TBG0ZX. Also with this simple modification, the log will still fit in the film canister with no problems at all.

Dennis C. Fawver

It's been asked before, but I can't find an answer. Any idea when the new design will be available for purchase? If I place an order now, which tag do I get?

as of when you asked at the beginning of the month, I think people were still getting the old tag.. I don't know what's being shipped now.

I made mine micro cache compatible.......

0b5792db-a1b4-4a36-8747-b00437b51d33.jpg

9270b14a-d429-41e1-9f7f-47cc15f01f12.jpg

Would be good to be able to purchase micro-cache compatible versions regularly in the future.

I engraved text on front and back detailing to only move from micro to micro.

Thanks for letting us give input.

- cartwrig :unsure:

I fit a full bug tag (as in, unmodified) with it's entire chain AND a note AND a baggie into one of those key holders along with the cache's log book... Just so you know. No modifications are needed if you just send out the tag.

As a side note, we're considering only selling 1 tag instead of a tag and a copy tag. Since we will be able to print on demand we can always print a new tag number if the first one goes missing. This will also reduce the cost since we only need to manufacture one of them.

Of course, you can still have a second tag if you wish, but it will be by request (and cost more). I know folks use the copy tags as keychains and such.

I really like the COPY tag. I would always prefer to default to having that available, instead of having to ask for it and pay for it separately.

I guess it's the part of me that covets things.

I really like the COPY tag. I would always prefer to default to having that available, instead of having to ask for it and pay for it separately.

The COPY option will always be available, but the actual cost behind the tag doubles when there are two of them, along with an additional fee for the maintainence of the tag through the web site. The idea was to help reduce the overall cost of acquiring a travel bug by allowing someone to order the tag without the COPY.

Because we will be doing the tag number printing in-house that also means we can re-print numbers to replace the ones that are destroyed. Custom tag numbers may also be a future option.

The new tags have been ordered but have not arrived. I don't expect to see them for a month or so and we'll have to deplete existing inventory (and figure out how to get the new tags printed efficiently) before you'll see them.

The new text reminds me of a film I saw when I was in grade school. Its name was "Paddle to the Sea," and was about a little carved wooden Indian seated in a canoe. On the bottom of the canoe were carved the words, "I am Paddle-to-the-Sea. Please put me back in the water."

(Children's book by Holling Clancy Holling, but I can't find a reference for who made the film)

Just to put in my 2 cents worth.

Since space on the bug is a premium, instead of using the common URL of www.Groundspeak.com why not use instead

Groundspeak.com/[bugnumber]

the www is implied anyway and you can get to the address without it when the server is properly configured and it gets you right to the page for the particular bug. It also frees up the space where the number was.

Hi,

I’m a newbie and I don’t know if the TB I own are new or old one.

Old one I suppose.

I think they work quite well, than why to change something which do its job right, unless it will bring an important improvement? :unsure:

I notice a good question about the sizes. It is not very significant if they are in inches or in centimeters, but remember that a micro cache like a film box have an inside depth of 46 mm for a diameter of 3 cm only! Or my TB lengths are about 57 mm. Here could be an improvement.

About the color: I’ve seen the picture of a black item. I don’t find that it will be a good idea when placed in a dark cache, or falling on the ground in the darkness. Aluminum white as it already is is quite right. :)

And finishing with the price question: Every thing must have its cost. Often are the post charges a lot higher, especially from Germany to France, as the TB itself. But please don’t try to make a save on cost of the copy. I will very miss this facility. :unsure:

DGS

I personally like the new shape, since Jeremy said it was the same height and width you gain a little bit of surface area. This little bit of extra surface area is good for expanding engraving owner name and name of Travel Bug. Engraving my TB's in this way are another way for me to discourage "steal-:D-ing" of TB's. May not help at all but doesn't hurt.

But still can't release them if you can't stand losing them, I'll keep trying to tell myself that!

Like the new TB and can't wait to get some.

Edited by MRCOGEO
...Since space on the bug is a premium, instead of using the common URL of www.Groundspeak.com  why not use instead

Groundspeak.com/[bugnumber]

the www is implied anyway and you can get to the address without it when the server is properly configured and it gets you right to the page for the particular bug.  It also frees up the space where the number was.

When a visitor is directed to Groundspeak.com he or she is immediately on a non-complex page and can see exactly what action they should take. The Geocaching.com page would be much more problematic, expecially for newer geocachers, as would putting a longer URL onto the TB.

Stick with Groundspeak.com (In my humble opinion).

--Marc

March 6, 2005 @ 11:41 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Edited by SilverMarc

If there are to be new tags what will happen to the old ones? I have only just started out setting caches and TB and have brought 6 TB's. Of this 6 I have only set one off so far.

Someone suggested that the old TB's should have a sticker put over them to update them to the new design. I HATE THIS IDEA. sorry! I think it would ruin the look of the TB and end up sticky and horrid.

I think the new design is cool, but don't ruin the TB's in the name of progress.

Thanks,

Becca :grin:

If you are planning on being able to print in-house to these bugs would you be able to print the bug's specific mission/goal directly onto an extra tag to add to the item? I have seen some get plastic dog tags made online with their mission lasered on. You might want to think about making this an extra that people can purchase if they choose. I find that the paper print outs need to be laminated or they dont last very long. Just a thought.

Jerseytrex

Edited by Jerseytrex

:huh: In regards to giving your TB tags a "new look"... :huh:

I am quite proficient in the art of aluminum anodizing.

This is the process by which a layer of crystaline aluminum oxide is "grown" on the surface of the metal by electrolysis. This would give your TB tag a corrosion resistant finish which can be dyed to almost any color imaginable!

I developed my process while employed doing R&D for a company that needed their aluminum RF welding dies to last longer & have better dielectric properties.

As applied to TB tags, this process can make your TB tag really stand out by giving it a custom colored finish that will not wear off unless it's very abused.

Since aluminum is a soft metal, nothing will save it if it's been mistreated...

Caribiners are often given this "type II" anodized finished to improve their resistance to the elements & color code them for load rating or ID purposes.

Good quality MAGLITE flashlights usually have an anodized finish as well.

The only drawback to doing this process would be that all of the black pigment in the text area of the tag would be removed, leaving you with only the depressions where the text & designs were stamped in. IMO the tags would still be readable & unless someone can think of a reason why this would ruin the TB I would be glad to put my skills to good use customizing TB tags for those who are interested...

Shoot me an email & tell me your thoughts on this. Matrix_Azaleph@hotmail.com

When I get a TB tag of my own or get permission from a tag owner to do this to theirs (free of charge for the "experiment" of course) I will post the results.

Thanks!

Mushroom Doom

N48 26.000 W 123 29.700

(Victoria B.C. Canada)

Well, nothing like jumping into the conversation late!

1. I like the new design.

2. I very much like getting two tags. If I order the new style with a copy, will the second still say "COPY" on the front?

3. The domain travelbugs.com is still unregistered. This might be a problem....

Cheers,

Phil

Well, nothing like jumping into the conversation late!

1. I like the new design.

2. I very much like getting two tags. If I order the new style with a copy, will the second still say "COPY" on the front?

3. The domain travelbugs.com is still unregistered. This might be a problem....

Cheers,

Phil

I did a Whois search

travelbugs.com has been registered to Groundspeak since Feb. 2004.