New Tb Design

Jeremy

We're redoing the travel bug design to add the new Groundspeak logo. We're also changing the manufacturing method to allow us to print alphanumeric codes, making it more difficult to figure out. The tags will be more rectangular but we'll still be using the same aluminum material and printing method.

How is the text? It needs to be straight and to the point.

new_tb.gif

The front of the tag will have the barcoded travel bug logo as it is now.

I think the design is OK - we must move on! - Corporate images change for the change sake - so long as the numbers etc. continue, who cares what the reverse looks like? Next there will be Gold, Silver & Bronze tags, extra value or commercial value for finding one, just to keep the costs down. So long as the ideas are the same to move from place to place and easy to log then, I'm not bothered about change.

I personally think that this is an improvement. As I said in another post somewhere, it would be nice if the Tag had both the TBXXXX and the 6 digit, or now 6 character access code on it. This might just prevent the unknowing from posting the access code in the logs.

Cache Well

Edited to add link.

Edited by LordSaw
somewhere[/url], it would be nice if the Tag had both the TBXXXX and the 6 digit, or now 6 character access code on it. This might just prevent the unknowing from posting the access code in the logs.

I considered this, but it may actually cause more confusion since some folks won't know which code to put in there.

As a side note, we're considering only selling 1 tag instead of a tag and a copy tag. Since we will be able to print on demand we can always print a new tag number if the first one goes missing. This will also reduce the cost since we only need to manufacture one of them.

Of course, you can still have a second tag if you wish, but it will be by request (and cost more). I know folks use the copy tags as keychains and such.

somewhere[/url], it would be nice if the Tag had both the TBXXXX and the 6 digit, or now 6 character access code on it.  This might just prevent the unknowing from posting the access code in the logs.

I considered this, but it may actually cause more confusion since some folks won't know which code to put in there.

As a side note, we're considering only selling 1 tag instead of a tag and a copy tag. Since we will be able to print on demand we can always print a new tag number if the first one goes missing. This will also reduce the cost since we only need to manufacture one of them.

Of course, you can still have a second tag if you wish, but it will be by request (and cost more). I know folks use the copy tags as keychains and such.

Thanks for considering this, I understand that it might cause temporary confusion, but given the attention this topic (improper use of access codes) gets in the TB forum, I just wondered if something could be done to help.

Thanks again, I do like the new wording.

Cache Well

It's good to see the bug tag carry more of a warning. My 7-year old daughter's first bug's first hop took it from Georgia to Germany. A conscientious cacher there contacted me and volunteered to add a laminated tag because many 1st timers in Germany don't know what to do with a bug. (Thanks Havrix! :rolleyes: ) This new design should help with bugs that go international as well.

I just wish there was wording of some kind to let people know that each tag is an individuals and that it isn't just a keep sake from geocaching. So many newbies think it is like a jeep that there are thousands and what harm is there in keeping one. If there was wording of some kind to implie that keeping one stops an individual geocacher from seeing his own bug travel. Guess I am not good at the wording but I think you get my idea.

Jeremy,

I like the new wording but I still think there should be two tags produced per TB. Production cost to set up and print / stamp the two tags at the same time shouldn't be much more. What are we talking......a few cents? If you're mass producing the TB's they should be giving you some sort of "bulk" discount anyway. Thanks for allowing us to input. :rolleyes:

does that mean we could replace a tag of the OLD style with the new one if the old bug has gone missing twice and we have no tags left?!?

Being someone htat has 3 bugs about to go out, none of which will actually be traveling cache to cache. I am not releasing them to collect miles. I think the wording up to the cache to cache part is fine, but after that should be removed. Again thats just me and seeing I don't have a lot of bugs I am not an "expert". But thought I would still give my 2 cents worth.

Production cost to set up and print / stamp the two tags at the same time shouldn't be much more. What are we talking......a few cents?

No. We're talking twice as much as one tag. An acid etch and fill for each tag is pretty expensive.

Good ideas about bolding. I also considered the cache to cache text replacing place to place. I'd prefer place to place but I wanted folks to understand it is supposed to move and not kept. It seemed obvious in "do not keep me" but I wanted to stress it more.

Could the TBXXXX and other code on the tag be labelled similar to:

Public: TBXXXX

Secret: XXXXXX

If you can't put the TBXXXX on the tag (if it is only assigned by the website during activation) then just label the current code as being secret. That might imply to a greater degree that the Secret one should not be divulged.

Have you looked into laser engraving the tags to keep production down. I work with laser engravers and I know that the materials are sometimes cheaper than other methods, including acid etching. I wish I could engrave them for you, but I am in the Navy!! Heck, even diamond tipped engraving could even give you a nice looking dog tag! A compant like New Hermes could easily handle your order. 1-800-8HERMES.

Also, some plastics are just as durable and cost less than aluminum.

Have you ever thought of giving the consumer the option of buying just the TB serial number and letting them make the TB dog tag? That would really cut costs down if your in to making it better for us cachers! I have made some of my own goal tags to put on my TB's and I know how easy it is to make your own dog tag look good. Alot of people do it! Do it for a buck or 2 less and you're still making mad cash on them serial numbers and don't have to supply the actual dog tag!

Thought I'd throw thoughts in!

V-8 of the Piston Heds :)

WAIT a minute...

"Visit www.Groundspeak.com to learn about me and how to help me on my NEXT adventure."

Uh, Jeremy? What about the travel bug's CURRENT adventure? Aren't we supposed to care about that?

Errrr... Are we talking about the adventure of the whole travel bug journey overall or are ya taking about it's visit to the next cache?

Kinda confusing. Current wording very nearly implies that there is gonna be another mission ("adventure") for the bug.

How about "Visit www.Groundspeak.com to learn about me and how you can help on my adventure journey."

That might work better... just my thought du jour.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Good point, but less words is better.

"Visit www.Groundspeak.com to learn about me and how you can help me on my adventure"

Also, I think there should be just a TOUCH more space between the Geocaching logo, the center text, and the bottom text so that it doesn't all blend together quite so much.

...but I'm just a nitpicky creative designer.

Edited by PatrickD

Definitely better than the first draft of the new version.

Amazing that we have to get down to "Don't Keep This".

I dunno. For some people geocaching is just finding hidden boxes and trading stuff from them. I wouldn't be surprised if there are bunch of people who have never even heard of Travel Bugs, and who just don't get it when they find one. Also, in non-English speaking areas understanding 'Do not keep me!' is probably easier than the original text.