Locking Forum Topics.

SkinGuy

In the past few weeks there have been several forum topics locked by moderators that have then been unlocked by the initial poster for a "last word" post. There have been terse replies from the moderators that, IMHO, although correct, may cause some hard feelings.

Would it be possible or advisable to have topics locked (by moderators) in such a way that the original poster would be unable to unlock the topic? If the original poster was the one who locked the topic, then such a restriction may not be applicable.

Just a suggestion...

Yes, this has occurred three times in recent memory. I don't think that the actions of a few people ought to warrant a change to the forum settings. There are instances where a topic originator has legitimately locked a topic at their own option, and then opened it back up, perhaps after everyone has had a chance to calm down. Why take away that option just because a handful of posters take advantage of it, especially since there are other tools available to the moderators to deal with such problems?

Rather, what I would recommend is that the Forum Guidelines be updated to add a new point covering this subject, so that all community members have fair notice of the expected etiquette:

Closed Topics:  If a moderator closes a topic, this is because the moderator has decided the topic cannot remain open under these Forum Guidelines.  Do not unlock a topic after it has been closed by a moderator, and do not start a new topic on the same subject soon after the topic is closed.

The Forum Guidelines ought to be updated anyways, in order to take account of the new Off Topic forum.

Thanks, SkinGuy, for bringing this up.

Yeah, SkinGuy beat me to post about this. If people have the option to open a topic already once closed by a moderator, someone eventually will. It's like the t_poll.gif image: Although it's not possible for us mortal to use it, and most of us know that, someone will eventually ask why it doesn't work. <_<

I was one of the 3 (or potentially a fourth that Keystone doesn't remember).

I wanted to be sure that the absurdity of closing a topic about a photoshopped image of a GPSr going treasure hunting because it was "off topic" in a geocaching topics forum was adequately pronounced in the thread itself, even though *I* shut it again as was its doomed status.

Afterwards, I used PMs and e-mail to discuss this issue with CO Admin (the topic closer). I've had other topics closed. Re-opening them isn't my normal M.O.

I agree that the guidelines should warn against the reopening of threads and that stiff penalties (and announcing that these penalties are being applied to offenders in the moderator's re-closed followup post) will ward against this type of action becoming a regular occurence.

Rather than eliminate the power of the original poster to close their own topic (and re-open it if desired), could "closure" be split into two types?

A. Moderator closed. The topic is closed, and the original poster does not have the ability to re-open it.

B. Poster closed. The topic is closed, but the original poster (or moderator?) has the ability to re-open it if desired.

I'm not computer-savvy enough to know if adding this feature is a large or small endeavor, but thought that I'd throw it out for discussion.

BTW -- nice to see that the powers that be pay attention to suggestions in this forum!

This is a much needed change to the forum guidelines. I did make a few changes the wording proposed by KA:

Closed Topics:  The topic starter has the ability to open and close at topic at any time. If a moderator closes a topic, this is because the moderator has decided the topic cannot remain open under these Forum Guidelines.  Do not unlock a topic after it has been closed by a moderator. 

New Topics:  If a topic has been closed by a forum moderator do not start a new topic to continue the same discussion after the topic is closed.

I will also add the date to show when the guidelines were last updated.

This is a much needed change to the forum guidelines. I did make a few changes the wording proposed by KA:

Closed Topics:  The topic starter has the ability to open and close at topic at any time. If a moderator closes a topic, this is because the moderator has decided the topic cannot remain open under these Forum Guidelines.  Do not unlock a topic after it has been closed by a moderator. 

New Topics:  If a topic has been closed by a forum moderator do not start a new topic to continue the same discussion after the topic is closed.

This might be reworded a bit, as it implies something that's not quite correct. Topic starters can't close a topic at anytime. They can only close it within a certain number of hours after it was created. After that, only a mod can close it (unless this has recently changed).

This might be reworded a bit, as it implies something that's not quite correct. Topic starters can't close a topic at anytime. They can only close it within a certain number of hours after it was created. After that, only a mod can close it (unless this has recently changed).

I just checked the "Jeep Contest" thread I started way back in May and I still have the option to CLOSE TOPIC.

southdeltan

Topic started have always been able to close a thread at any time. there was never a restriction on when with this version of software

Clearly there should be restrictions against reopening a thread that was locked by a moderator. However, should there be any exceptions?

Maybe the quick answer to that question is "No, there are no legitimate exceptions to reopening a thread locked by a moderator." Well, what if you were reopening it just to provide a link to where the thread was moved to?

Example: You start a topic which a moderator says is off topic, and should only be opened in the off-topic forum. The thread gets closed for being off-topic,. If the OP reopens the thread SOLELY to provide a link to the new, proper location of the thread, I would think that is acceptable. ESPECIALLY if you've been instructed by the moderator that it can be continued in the OT forum.

Obviously moderators disagree.

Clearly there should be restrictions against reopening a thread that was locked by a moderator.  However, should there be any exceptions?

Maybe the quick answer to that question is "No, there are no legitimate exceptions to reopening a thread locked by a moderator."  Well, what if you were reopening it just to provide a link to where the thread was moved to?

Example:  You start a topic which a moderator says is off topic, and should only be opened in the off-topic forum.  The thread gets closed for being off-topic,.  If the OP reopens the thread SOLELY to provide a link to the new, proper location of the thread, I would think that is acceptable.  ESPECIALLY if you've been instructed by the moderator that it can be continued in the OT forum.

Obviously moderators disagree.

Hydee sets the guidelines. Its not the moderators choice to agree or disagree.

This is not a universal truth.

Any topic on geocaching is a valid topic, whether or not the topic is closed. Recent case in point. Developing a list of approvers. It's not a popular topic with some mods, and other mods can't see why it's such an issue. Some members back the idea, and some don't. Regardless of everyones opinion, the topic is a valid point of discussion. If a brawl breaks out and a topic is shut down, it sould be allowed to be disscussed again, hopefully after everyone has calmed down a bit and intelligence can creep back into the discussion.

Nobody has time to keep a list of these banned topics. After all the site can't keep track of their own approvers. <_<

Edited by Renegade Knight
Hydee sets the guidelines. Its not the moderators choice to agree or disagree.

Regardless of what you're told to do about it, you CAN agree or disagree (even if its only in your head), right?

Regardless, if, in my example above, the Moderator were to lock the thread, and then the OP unlocked, posted a link and relocked, the Moderator COULD look the other way, right?

Mods do look the other way at times, right?

All I'm trying to say is that there may be very limited circumstances in which the unlocking of a locked thread to provide a link (and then immediate relocking) could warrant tacit approval.

I run this forum software for our forums and may do a mod to it to allow users to open and close topics but not allow to re-open a topic closed by a moderator.

If Groundspeak is interested I can give them the changes I do to make it possable.

Sure they could do it themselves but do they have the time? Better spent on Canadian benchmarking or something like that.