Oz Maps

Riemann

I am a newbie to geocaching . I will be in Australia and New Zealand during the period from Jan 2005 through March 2005. I would love to enhance the experience by doing some geocaching.

My question concerns the best maps to use for this adventure. I have a brand new Garmin 76CS which I am slowly learning how to use. My understanding is that the only compatible maps are from Mapsource. Since I will be based in Sydney I assume that the Mapsource City Select map may be the most useful.

I would appreciate any recommendations that forum members can provide concerning the optimum maps and how to acquire information on local geocaches.

Thank you in advance.

adios

Bill

hello we have been in sydney area for a few days and intend traveling up the east coast.we have not got to where we intend to drop off some bugs yet,but could anyone help solve a problem.we are staying at some youth hostels so I used the multimap site that was mentioned here, so i would put in the postcode of the hostel then put in the lat and long that was on the bottom of the page into my etrex, and the nearest we can get to our hostels was 900 mtrs. :) its still set up with wgs 84 ,what do I need to set it to on my etrex so that using the multimap lat and long or other info on the page to get me to the door of the hostel.

I can always change back to wgs84 for doing the caches.

at the bottom of the multimap it give x and y .

I hope I have explained the problem, :)

many thaks

major tom & family

hello we have been in sydney area for a few days and intend traveling up the east coast.we have not got to where we intend to drop off some bugs yet,but could anyone help solve a problem.we are staying at some youth hostels so I used the multimap site that was mentioned here, so i would put in the postcode of the hostel then put in the lat and long that was on the bottom of the page into my etrex, and the nearest we can get to our hostels was 900 mtrs. :D its still set up with wgs 84 ,what do I need to set it to on my etrex so that using the multimap lat and long or other info on the page to get me to the door of the hostel.

I can always change back to wgs84 for doing the caches.

at the bottom of the multimap it give x and y .

I hope I have explained the problem, :D

many thaks

major tom & family

The X and Y look like UTMs, the Lat: Lon: are Deg Min Sec with Deg. Decimals in brackets.

You may be using Deg Min Decimals.

ask here for more help http://forum.geocaching.com.au/

No offence but Why do you need a map for geocaching. I have no map, no car, have only been in Aus for 5 weeks and use public transport to find caches. Sure, this limits the amt of caches I can find in one day but adds to the fun. It also enables me to A) Get to know public trans timetables etc

<_< Brag about my "Greenness"