Cemetary's

I have an odd question...

I am very interested in placing a cache in or around some of these smaller graveyards and cemetaries. I would love to do this to get others to visit these little known cemetaries. I really love visiting some of them during the summer time reading the headstones and histories with the cemetaries and the people burried within them. I would really like to do this, although I am afraid that others may find this disrespectful, which would be far from the intent. Any suggestions, ideas, or comments about this?

I would appreciate any feedback! :(

Well, if you are going to do it, just let people know that the cache is in a cemetery so they can decide if they want to find it or not.

If the cemetery is a private, family cemetery (not abandoned) I would ask for permission first. I also wouldn't hide a cache on or near someone's grave. I would hide one along the fenceline at the edge of the cemetery...or even on the fenceline outside the cemetery near the entrance or by a tree near the cemetery. If it's outside the cemetery bounds and on public property, you should be fine...just recommend that cache finders visit the cemetery if you want to.

All of the cemetery caches I have found were virts so I've never seen it done before.

I hadn't planned on placing the cache IN the cemetery without permission and if I was able to get it it wouldn't be on or near a grave. I figured it would probably have to be outside the cemetary which is ok too. :-)

Edit:

Thanks for the search suggestion. I found an old topic on it and most everyone in it had good things to say about placing in cemeteries as long as it is tasteful, which I agree fully with. I think I will be placing a few caches in some of the cemeteries around here that I know are public, and ouside the privately owned ones, until I am able to obtain permission. Thanks again!

Edited by The Bluetooth's

I just did a cache that was located near a cemetary. The physical cache was not anywhere near a grave site, but in a area in the garden next to the church. The owner got permission from the groundskeeper to place the cache.

Key item in this case GET PERMISSION if you are gonna put a physical cache. If it is virtual, then it probably should not matter as long as the seekers remain respectful.

I have been to many caches in cemetaries, one recently took us to the grave site of police dogs, the information was much appreciated and allowed us to give respect to these fallen heros. We have also been to other caches in cemetaries both virtual and traditional and all were resptful of the area, yet very interesting. First Indian Chief, & some weird NJ virtuals are in cemetaries. A few puzzle caches have used the coords from cemetaries. Just as long as respect is shown there is no problem.

There are quite a few series of cemetary caches.

Try doing a search for the R.I.P. caches in Nashville or Pushing Up Dasies in South Central Kentucky.

I'm about to do a series of them, too, but I'm trying to come up with a good name. .....Dying To Cache came to mind, but I think it's a tad distasteful.

In Richland and Lexington Counties, South Carolina we have started a series called "Kick the Bucket" Anyone is allowed to hide one as long as it is in a cemetery and it has to be a micro. So far we have placed 15 of these caches with just a handful of cachers in the area.

Edited by Prairie Dog 76

I was going to mention the Kick the Bucket series too. Also, in SC there are the "Oh What a Beautiful Mourning" series. I have done several in cemetaries with my kids along and they enjoy looking around. I enjoy the really old cemetaries, they are interesting to read the headstones, if possible.

ANother search showing quite a few cemetery caches would be from 46990...

Yep , done a few from that zipcode myself and enjoyed them quite a bit . Congrats on #50 LeadDog <_<

Golly, we're up to #51 as of today(Not approved yet), because Patrick and I were wandering around in a Roanoke cemetery and we found by accident the grave of a very famous local Indian!!