Do All Garmins Shut Off While Mounted On An Atv?

GrnXnham

This is just strange. Both my Garmin Legend and 60C do this.

While just walking around with either unit, they rarely shut down spontaneously, HOWEVER, recently I purchased a RAM mount for my ATV thinking it would be really cool to be able to use the GPSr while riding. When I mount either the Legend or the 60C to the ATV with the ATV running, the GPSr shuts off after maybe 20 seconds. I turn it back on. It shuts off again even sooner this time. Now I try to turn on the GPSr and it won't even turn on! I remove the batteries and then put them back into the unit. Now it will start up again. Then it shuts down again when placed back on the ATV. I give up and remove the GPSr from the ATV. Now the GPSr acts quirky for a few days (both units!) shutting down occasionally for no apparent reason even when just walking around with them. After a few days, both GPSr units now have apparently fixed themselves and act normally again. The shutdowns are gone.

Once again, BOTH GPSr's do this? Is this just a Garmin thing?

The ATV doesn't even have to be moving--just running. And it's not like my ATV vibrates excessively or anything. I tried mounting them on my motorcycle also. Same thing happens--more shutdowns. It never happens in any of our cars.

Is this strange or what? Any ideas on how to fix this? I figure if I send the units to Garmin, they will find nothing wrong with them unless they mount them on an ATV or motorcycle--and that ain't happening so they probably won't fix them or even know how to fix them. They'll probably just figure I am blowing smoke or something.

I can't believe that two units that are designed to be portable and are to be used in the outdoors would shut down so easily.

Help!

Is this just a Garmin thing?

It's a fairly well-documented Garmin thing.

See, Garmin's have their batteries mounted vertically, so any up-and-down motion tends to pull the batteries away from the contacts for a fraction of a second.

The horizontal battery design used by some Magellan's alleviate some of this problem, but at the expense of a wider piece of equipment.

I think the fix is to simply bend the contacts a little. Someone with some experience with this should be able to tell you what you need to do.

Jamie

I've been using a Legend and just upgraded to the Legend C. I noticed that in the Legend the batteries didn't fit to snug and I only had it shut off a couple of times. I bent the contacts out a little and it hasn't shut off since. In the new Legend C the batteries fit very snug and I wondered what the difference was. I noticed that behind all four battery terminal contacts, there was a small piece of foam that keeps the contacts pressed tight against each end of the battery. Putting a small piece of foam behind each terminal contact, would be an easy fix that should work great for anyone. Maybe a thin piece of weather strip foam that is sticky on one side would work great so it would stay stuck in place and not fall out or something else of the like. :(:(

Just to let everyone know that because of recommendations here and other places, last weekend I tried wrapping a small amount of electrical tape around each battery. I also used some dielectric compound on each terminal before putting the batteries into the 60C and mounting it on the ATV. I rode the ATV all day long on very rough trails, even took a few jumps, and the 60C didn't shut off once! Haven't tried this fix on the Legend, yet. Maybe next weekend. . .

Cheap and easy fix.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Is this just a Garmin thing?

It's a fairly well-documented Garmin thing.

See, Garmin's have their batteries mounted vertically, so any up-and-down motion tends to pull the batteries away from the contacts for a fraction of a second.

Jamie

My 76CS has it's batteries mounted horizontally, I've used it on my quad and cycles with no problems.

My 76CS has it's batteries mounted horizontally, I've used it on my quad and cycles with no problems.

All my experience with Garmin's have been only with the eTrex. I stand corrected by my statement, but add that the OP concerned the eTrex.

Thanks for clarifying.

Jamie

What about this one...my yellow Garmin eTrex wedges between my dash and the windshield really well in my Celica. Before, I used to run it on the batteries and it ran really smoothly. My friend got me a lighter adapter so I run it externally powered in the car now. Every now and then while driving I look over and it's shut off...adapter still plugged in firmly and still wedged on the dash the same. Sometimes it happens, other times not at all.

It happens infrequently enough not to be a problem, just a minor annoyance.

Hmm, totally possible. In installing my new radio some months ago, we forgot to reattach the shielding bracket on the lighter after removing the dash...

I bet it's losing contact on the other side of the dash on rough bounces...

Good call..hadn't thought about that shielding (since I don't usually plug anything into the lighter).

This happened with my V......on my motorcycle...

I contacted Garmin and they sent me (free of charge) a little springy gizmo that you put in the battery bay after the first two batteries are in...

It worked great.

DZ

Last week I ordered the Garmin V handle bar mount for my bike. They sent me one of the "between" battery springs with my order. I guess they had enough issues about it to make the piece routine. Heck, will all the problems I've had in the past with the auto shut off, I would have been glad to pay for just that part!

The batteries are tight enough now that I could drop kick it without worrying about it. Anyway, it was nice of them to send it up front instead of waiting to see if I'd complain later.

I have a Garmin GPS III permanently mounted on my Honda Rancher but used the cigar lighter adapter cable. It only works with ATV running as power to the outlet is shut off with ignition. Had it on there since new, 2001.

Another thing I found out about many Garmins. The have an internal backup battery that stores your data. If your AA batteries are weak or dead and you are plugged into lighter for power, you will get a warning that internal battery is low. You must keep fresh batteries in the receiver to keep this internal backup battery charged. If you ever get this, install fresh bat's and give it a fews days to a week to recharge the internal.