Problem Last Night?

CompuCash

I was unable to get to either the forums or the gc web sites for several hours last night - from around 7PM to 10PM.

Was there a real problem or was this just due to heave usage again?

First time I have been unable to get to the forums to see if something was wrong.

At one time I was able to get the home page but then nothing after that. Continued DNS errors.

I was unable to get to either the forums or the gc web sites for several hours last night - from around 7PM to 10PM.

First time I have been unable to get to the forums to see if something was wrong.

At one time I was able to get the home page but then nothing after that. Continued DNS errors.

You weren't alone...

At one time I was able to get the home page but then nothing after that.  Continued DNS errors.

You weren't alone...

Thanks - glad to hear it (not for you!) - I was able to get to several other sites including my work site which is typically a bit of a pain so I did not think it was me.

does anyone know what happened or if we can do anything to help?

DNS errors.

you said it in your post...

ok - sure - we all know that - that doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know -

BUT - my questions -

1 - was the whole site down? (both gc and foruns?)

if so I'd like to know for my own knowledge why, and what can be done to prevent it in the future. Obviously I can't do anything about a failed piece of hardware except to suggest some kind of pm if possible. I did not find a maintenance notice. etc. etc.

2 - was this just because of heavy usage. This was the first time that I just could NOT get on at all for several hours. What happened to cause both sites to totally disappear? First time for that too.

Just a concerned user and supporter wishing to know what happened -

It was annoying because I was trying to create a new cache I planted on Sunday afternoon.

Annoyances asside, I don't think it hurst TP'sTB to tell us this kind of thing but it is of course their perview. I think it is helpful if we know - we are not screaming and hollering at them or each other over things no one has control over if that is the case. It also fosters support from us because we can understand the problems that can and do happen and can just carry on.

Maybe it was their IP that went down - not gc's fault at all - it happens.

Jeremy - any info from your end?

Edited by CompuCash

It looked like the main host (killerlink.net) went down. My guess is that it was beyond GC.com control and not their fault.

Instead of the common too many plugs in the outlet, blowing fuses in the back room, it was more like a widespread power outage.

I'm no expert on these things, but that's how it looked to me.

Anyway, it's all good now!

The issue is related to the overloaded firewall. We purchased a new one a while ago but are still working on some vendor issues with it before we can make it live. In the meantime we have to occasionally reboot the firewall so it can correct.

Firewalls are one of those painful requirements for running a web site. Without it we could be hacked to death, and with it we experience a single point of failure. We normally catch it but it was not the case yesterday until later.

Hopefully we can get our vendor issues resolved soon, since the more powerful machine is sitting there waiting to be used.

The issue is related to the overloaded firewall. We purchased a new one a while ago but are still working on some vendor issues with it before we can make it live. In the meantime we have to occasionally reboot the firewall so it can correct.

Firewalls are one of those painful requirements for running a web site. Without it we could be hacked to death, and with it we experience a single point of failure. We normally catch it but it was not the case yesterday until later.

Hopefully we can get our vendor issues resolved soon, since the more powerful machine is sitting there waiting to be used.

thanks for the update -