What do you put in your backpack?

mikedx

Hi!

New to the scene. I was wondering what you guys put in your backpack. After seeing the descriptions of some of the terrain and time spent out, I figured I should plan ahead. I figured this much:

GPS

Compass

Spare batteries

Water

Bandanna (snakes)

printouts of caches

cache goodies for trade

an extra pencil

Did I leave anything out?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I usually take:

compass

gps

firstaid kit

cell phone

camera

cache pages

mini leatherman

calculator

extra pencils

batteries

snacks and water

trading items

flashlight

There might be more, I just can't remember. I try to keep my pack stocked and ready to go. I have also noticed a few other threads on this subject so you might search for them and I'm sure you'd find a lot of information.

I would also bring pen and notebook. When logging sevral caches It's a good idea to keep a jurnel to keep track of each cache visit. I found 8 in one day once and it very dificult to keep track of what was traded from each cache.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

I make notes on the printed out cache pages, then when I get home I put them all in a big binder. Kind of a geocaching journal, saves me from having to carry more stuff in my pack. I did carry a notebook at first but found that for some reason I wasn't writing in it. I guess I'm just lazy and since I usually have the cache page already in my hand. You get the idea!

I agree Precocious I do the same thing. I bought a notebook also but lost it somewhere along the way. I found that when I could not find a cache I would have to refer to my printout some times for the cheat. So I would just use it to write on because it was already in my hand. As far as the back pack a long list of things as you see listed in the posts.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

One thing I keep in my backpack apart from all the usual items is a digital voice recorder. It's a lot quicker and easier than a notebook when I want to make personal notes about a hunt or a cache that I am hiding, I can then transcribe what I need later at my own leisure.

Some items on our list not mentioned yet include:

Local maps

Wristwatch

Hiking stick(s)

Swimsuit & Towel

Insect repellent

Container for berries

Binoculars

Sweatshirt or jacket

Some of these items are dependent on season, weather reports, and particulars for the hike we plan.

In addition I should mention that during the summer we wear convertible pants with zip off legs. Shorts for regular walking, long pants for bushwhacking. The legs may either be either worn or in our backpack at the start of the hike.

quote:
Originally posted by Rico and The Fiddler:

Got a nice batch of cactus spines in my hand planting a cache without them the other day.

Speaking of cactus spines. Make sure that your first aid kit contains a good pair of tweezers. Not those cheap plastic ones. The dog stepped right into a cactus patch the other day and I was mighty glad I had a good pair of tweezers to pull the spines out with.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by Precocious:

I make notes on the printed out cache pages, then when I get home I put them all in a big binder. Kind of a geocaching journal, saves me from having to carry more stuff in my pack. I did carry a notebook at first but found that for some reason I wasn't writing in it. I guess I'm just lazy and since I usually have the cache page already in my hand. You get the idea!

I do the same...I print the pages for whatever I'm goin to hunt...I make my trade notes on the pages, it saves alot of extra writing! I don't usually keep them though

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

GPS

Compass

Spare batteries

Water

Bandanna (snakes)

printouts of caches

cache goodies for trade

an extra pencil

Thanks,

Mike

Those are all good items to bring. In addition, I'd bring:

Gloves, in case you need to stick your hand somewhere you can't see to feel for a cache.

A flashlight, for looking deep into a log or if the cache is located in a cave or if it is dusk and you just have to squeeze in one more find.

Some kind of Leatherman tool or Swiss Army Knife. You never know when you'll need it. I found a rusty paint can cache and I needed to wedge the screwdriver tool into the lid and pry it open.

Based on past experience, I also have nail clippers, tweezers, duct tape, bandaids and a small bottle of Benadryl but I guess there are some things that only happen to me on cache hunts. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

GPS

Compass

Spare batteries

Water

Bandanna (snakes)

printouts of caches

cache goodies for trade

an extra pencil

Thanks,

Mike

Those are all good items to bring. In addition, I'd bring:

Gloves, in case you need to stick your hand somewhere you can't see to feel for a cache.

A flashlight, for looking deep into a log or if the cache is located in a cave or if it is dusk and you just have to squeeze in one more find.

Some kind of Leatherman tool or Swiss Army Knife. You never know when you'll need it. I found a rusty paint can cache and I needed to wedge the screwdriver tool into the lid and pry it open.

Based on past experience, I also have nail clippers, tweezers, duct tape, bandaids and a small bottle of Benadryl but I guess there are some things that only happen to me on cache hunts. icon_smile.gif

GPS

Compass

Bullwhip

Palm Pilot with Avant-go channels of caches in my area

Digicam

Bug spray

Water bottle

jacket

Flashlight

Extra Batteries

Slingshot

Fishing line

Cache Swag

Plastic bags

Pens and a notebook

Cell phone

Spyderco

Organ donor card

And more now that I've read some of this thread.

I would like to thank you guys, I was busy makeing a list of stuff I will need on a week long bike trip that I am going on tommorow (120 miles in the Black Hills of SD). You guys reminded me of several things that I might want to take with me.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

We're packing right now for Saturday cache hunting and my daughter just reminded me to put trash bags in our backpack. We're going to 2 public parks so we're expecting some litter along the way.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

Returned from a full fun day of geocaching, with a new note for backpack contents: When hunting with an 8 yr old Leprechaun girl, more than a mile from the road on a muddy trail and in a park with no facilites, it is useful to have a little plastic ziploc bag with some toilet paper in it!!!!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

A note and map telling loved ones where you are going, how long you'll be, and how to find you!

------------------------------------------------

Cache printouts

Topo maps

Camelback 100oz "Unbottle"

"Suunto" compass

"Acme Thunderer" whistle

Small bag with bandages

Toilet paper

plastic bags

trash bags

"Leatherman" tool

money for pay phone

old cell phone for 911

flashlight x 2 (One hedlamp, one stick)

batteries enough and types for all utilities

emergency blanket

waterproof matches, matches, lighter

small tarp for "Lean-too"

Foldable camp stove

sterno

small heatable cups/pots

tea bags

coffee bags

sugar

aspirin

extra canteen for mixing "Potable Aqua tabs"

Potable Aqua tabs

emergency mirror

emergency beacon

emergency vest "orange"

magnifying glass (for creating fires)

dried fruit and nuts

Pemican

hard candy

Mike (The DirtMan) Pellerin

aka Badger

dirtman@iname.com

Jason Dobson

aka "Jay" "J"

Myth8499@aol.com

Along with many of the items mentioned above, I include a couple extras.

In one of the forums someone took duct tape and wrapped it around an old credit card (or some other plastic card). I tried it and it's great! You can get 5 to 6 feet of it around the card (do it lengthwise). Haven't had the need for it yet, but if I do...

Also, I have an extra key to the geo-vehicle just in case.

I went looking for a cache the other day. I thought it would be a mile hike at best. I ended up hiking over 6 miles. I was very thankful I had some water with me.

Also, a hat is nice if you're going to be out during the day for any length of time. Try one of the really nifty hats from Geocaching.com! icon_wink.gif

If you're bringing a cell phone, thinking you'll be able to call someone if you get into trouble, remember they sometimes don't get service out in the woods. Let someone know where you're going and when you should be back.

Last thing. It's better to have something with you that you end up not using, than needing something that you didn't bring.

Dark Skies!

I went looking for a cache the other day. I thought it would be a mile hike at best. I ended up hiking over 6 miles. I was very thankful I had some water with me.

Also, a hat is nice if you're going to be out during the day for any length of time. Try one of the really nifty hats from Geocaching.com! icon_wink.gif

If you're bringing a cell phone, thinking you'll be able to call someone if you get into trouble, remember they sometimes don't get service out in the woods. Let someone know where you're going and when you should be back.

Last thing. It's better to have something with you that you end up not using, than needing something that you didn't bring.

Dark Skies!

quote:
I'm surprised to see that only two other people suggested MAPS!, don't leave home without them!

Maps? That's what the GPS is for! icon_biggrin.gif

And don't forget to mark a waypoint at the car before setting out. Searching for the car icon_confused.gif after geocaching is no fun. Also after doing a multi-cache, following the "breadcrumbs" is probably not the most efficient way back.

Lil Devil

quote:
I'm surprised to see that only two other people suggested MAPS!, don't leave home without them!

Maps? That's what the GPS is for! icon_biggrin.gif

And don't forget to mark a waypoint at the car before setting out. Searching for the car icon_confused.gif after geocaching is no fun. Also after doing a multi-cache, following the "breadcrumbs" is probably not the most efficient way back.

Lil Devil