I Found The *spot*

planetrobert

i found a bm spot, dead on with description, had the witness post and all. the concrete monument was there still but the disk was missing and you could see it's impression in the cement... should that be a found one, not found, destroyed?!? i figure the spot is still useable as the concrete block is there and bears the mark of a disk and the hole in the middle.

what do you think?!?

ralann -

I would be inclined to log the station you described as "Didn't find it". However, I would also send an e-mail to Deb Brown at NGS (Deb.Brown@noaa.gov) with a complete explanation of what I found and one or two pictures attached (see the pinned thread that Deb started for all the gory details).

I have found and reported such stations. In a few cases, Deb advised me to submit a recovery report describing the mark as "Poor/Disturbed" (apparently, the NGS does not necessarily classify a mark as Destroyed when the disk has been removed - a station may still be usable if the monument is intact and the stem of the disk remains). In another case, Deb has reclassified the mark as Destroyed (the concrete monument was unstable as well as the disk missing). Of course, NGS may advise you to submit a recovery report as "Not Found", as well.

Whenever I have submitted such reports to NGS, I've gone back and changed my log to conform to the status that NGS has accepted for the station in their database. Could be a "Didn't find it" , could be a "Destroyed", could be a "Found" with a complete explanation in the comments.

Professional surveyors and/or benchmark hunters with extensive experience and knowledge may recommend that you report the status of this station to the appropriate "owner", if it is not a CGS/NGS disk. See PittCaleb's recent thread "Marking a Benchmark Destroyed" for an excellent discussion of the subject.

Will

p.s. Would like to know the PID for your station and a photo or two, if you have them.

Edited by seventhings