Etrex Yellow And Waypoint Names

Mr'D

I have come across a problem that I am sure is know but I cannot see a workaround.

Etrex Yellow has the capability of indicating only the first 6 characters of a waypoint name. I stand to be corrected on this.

I normally generate pocket queries from geocache.com that I then import into GSAK.

When I then transfer waypoints from GSAK to Etrex, Etrex seems to register only the first of a series of caches beginning with the same characters - for example in a series of caches 'Supercache1, Supercache2, Supercache3 etc., only Supercache1 would register.

A small point, but it has caught me out a few times!

Thanks,

Jon

Yes, when you transfer waypoint names longer than six characters, it cuts off the remaining characters.

The eTrex will not allow identically named waypoints, so the waypoints overwrite each other.

GSAK (I believe) has an option for smart names which guarentees unique waypoint IDs. I just use the GCID, so all my waypoints are consistantly names.

Jamie

I have come across a problem that I am sure is know but I cannot see a workaround.

Etrex Yellow has the capability of indicating only the first 6 characters of a waypoint name. I stand to be corrected on this.

I normally generate pocket queries from geocache.com that I then import into GSAK.

When I then transfer waypoints from GSAK to Etrex, Etrex seems to register only the first of a series of caches beginning with the same characters - for example in a series of caches 'Supercache1, Supercache2, Supercache3 etc., only Supercache1 would register.

A small point, but it has caught me out a few times!

Thanks,

Jon

When using GSAK, For your waypoint code use %smart=6

This will generate Unique 6 character waypoints with meaningful names

Refer to the "Using spcial tags" in the help file for more information

Postscript...

After amending the upload tags as suggested, and as usual loading 500 waypoints to the Etrex, I set off to do a couple of caches.

I tried to save a waypoint on the trail - oops! No room (500 max loaded).

So it appears although I had previously have been uploading 500 waypoints, the truncated waypoints were not infact loaded and so left space for new waypoints - does this make sense?

(FYI - 500 waypoints covers around 30 miles radius in E.Berkshire - we must be spoilt?)

Now I will only upolad 495 waypoints and leave space for 'on trail' additions.

Jon