Transferring Waypoints From Gpsr To Computer?

GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

I just took an out of state trip and have some important waypoints. Can I transfer them from my handheld GPSr (Garmin MAP76S w/Mapsource Metroguide 4.x) onto my computer (WinXP Home)? Does the Garmin software handle this, or do I need something like EasyGPS? Any pointers welcome. I will lose them soon :huh: as I need to download maps of a different state and remove all existing waypoints on the GPSr for my next trip.

Triva:

Also, where do the waypoints go after transfer - onto the Hard Drive - but what folder?

Willl my route or track also be saved? That would be cool :lol:

You'll need software, like Garmin Mapsource or Easy GPS. Both of these programs have a "receive from GPS" option, and both will import waypoints and/or routes.

Once you've imported the information from your GPSr, you can save the open file wherever you'd like on your hard drive.

In Mapsource Metroguide 6, it's the "Transfer" menu, "Receive from Device". You then get a pop up with the choices of what to import. Assume it's the same in v.4 (PS - I believe you can upgrade for free on the Garmin website - I just upgraded v.5 to v.6).

Edit: Grammer and specific information for Mapsource.

Edited by Kai Team

What I use is GSAK. I have a separate database named (unoriginally) GPS, to hold my GPS waypoints. I just connect my GPS to my computer, run GSAK, and select Receive Waypoints. The waypoints are downloaded into the currently loaded database (I suggest loading a new, empty database for this) and can be edited, filtered, sliced, diced, and whatever else you like, and reloaded to the GPS at your leisure. I have waypoints in my GPS not related to geocaching, and I need them backed up. GSAK does this very easily. BTW, USAPhotomaps will also save your GPS waypoints, and display them on downloaded maps if they're in the US.

Edited by NightPilot

Kai, Shelpie says hi to Kai 'triever :rolleyes: Thanks for the info re: saving waypoints & tracks. I will try it today after I get some coffee.

Nightpilot, can you tell me more about USA Photomaps? Do I have to buy something? I love aerial photos & all things maps. Im reading about GSAK - do I use this with EasyGPS, or in place of it? I do not have EasyGPS even - just visited the site. Should I get it - I see its free.

Thanks !!!

edited for proper pup info.

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

Both USAPhotomaps and GSAK are conscience-ware, or something like that. The authors ask for some payment, but they work without registration, and mostly without nags. USAPhotomaps shows a nag screen on exit, and that's it. GSAK doesn't even do that, but it doesn't support USB GPS transfers unless you register it. GSAK works in place of EasyGPS, as well as several other programs. It's all you need except for USAPhotomaps, which you need for viewing aerial photos and topo maps. This is a very cool app - you give it a lat/lon, and it gets the maps or photos for you, whichever you specify, and you can get both for the same locations. Any place in the US, you can view the maps. There are some high-resolution color aerial photos of selected urban areas, and these are very good. I can recognize the van in my driveway, so I know who visited my wife on that Sunday morning while I was at work ;-) (just another church lady.) There aren't many of these, but they should be increasing as they become available on Terraserver. You can open GPX files from geocaching.com in either program. You need to keep them somewhat small, though, for USAPhotomaps, because if the file is too big the program just exits, and I haven't found out the exact maximum size. It's certainly less than 500 caches, though. Have USAPhotomaps open the file, display the waypoints, and you can see an aerial photo of the caches, and find the best roads to get to them, as well as a very good idea of where they're hidden. You can also download the waypoints, tracks, and routes directly from the GPS.

Kai says Hi, and that he'd like to meet Shelpie on the trail someday!

A note on GSAK - NightPilot is correct that it's shareware, but as I understand it, the shareware version only works for 30 days, then you have to re-download and re-install it to keep using it. It's only $15 and worth every penny (I paid for it within 3 days of my initial download, so I never experienced what happens after the 30 days!). Clyde (the author) is also remarkably responsive if you have any questions or problems, and seems to thrive on user feedback for new features, etc (which is what you want in a software developer!).

I used to use EasyGPS and Utopia and gave them both up when I discovered GSAK - it does everything they do and more - it's much better. The user interface can be a little daunting at first because it does so many things, but trust me, almost any feature you'll want is in there somewhere, and the online help is good.