Ram Suction Mounts?

Now that my 60c is on the way, I need to figure out a way to mount it in my Jeep Liberty. I am really considering the RAM locking suction mount.

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/42447.2....AMB166GA12.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/36309.1....apb166ga12.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/103.1.89...pb104sga12.html

Does anyone have experience with these mounts? How much do they jiggle when driving? Is the aluminum one better than the plastic one when it come to jiggle.

Anyone have any other suggestions for mounting?

I've the 4 inch RAM suction cup. While it holds great on the vertical side window, I have had trouble with it dropping off the sloping windshield after an hour's use. The glass may need a good cleaning, so I'm not ready to blame it on the cup just yet.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things I only think of when the GPS is falling on my dash. Guess I'll go down and clean it now while it's on my mind.

I've the 4 inch RAM suction cup. While it holds great on the vertical side window, I have had trouble with it dropping off the sloping windshield after an hour's use. The glass may need a good cleaning, so I'm not ready to blame it on the cup just yet.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things I only think of when the GPS is falling on my dash. Guess I'll go down and clean it now while it's on my mind.

Apply spit.

I've the 4 inch RAM suction cup ... I have had trouble with it dropping off the sloping windshield after an hour's use....

The detailed secrets of SUCKsessful suction cup mounting are in the 3rd message of this thread.

Follow those tips to the letter and you should need a pry-bar to remove the thing later. Otherwise I'd say you could blame a faulty suction cup.

Edited by lee_rimar
...you could blame a faulty suction cup.

And if that's the case with a RAM product, call 'em up and they'll send you a new one. No questions asked.

Markwell recounted a story of leaving his RAM in his car all summer, and each time he removed it, a small circle of rubber was left on the glass. Soon the suction no longer worked. One call to RAM and the rep asked him, "Has it been in the hot sun all summer? I guess you need a new one."

Jamie

Can someone give me an idea of how long it the entire unit is?  I know it states that the arm is 3" long, but still need to account for the base and ball joint.

Looks like the arm on my RAM mount (is that an acronym? Why do they capitalize all those letters?) is 3.5". The arm and suction base together are 5", and if you add in the holder for my Meridian, the whole apparatus comes to 7" (with the GPS holder parallel to the mounting surface.

Thanks to all for the pointers and encouragement to stick to the task at hand. There's no denying the cup on this thing reeks of industrial strength quality. And [perhaps obviously] I've never tried using extra moisture.

Edited by embra