The First Nightcache?

º

Well here's my question:

Which cache is the very first nightcache?

Couldn't find anything ...

(I'm talking about caches which can be found only at night due to reflectors, alarm clocks or something else - I'm NOT talking about caches which are fun if you search them at night but you don't have to)

#24 7:40pm. I FINALLY BEAT STAYFLOOPY AND BASSOONPILOT TO A CACHE! Life is good! Came home from a miserable cache hunt that ended in failure (A B C cache, GC2CB6). After cleaning up, and warming up, I went online to record my misadventure. When hit the geocaching.com front page, what do I see, but a new cache by Marty! Decide to look at it before I log the other cache. A night time ONLY cache? YES! I had read of one in another state, so this really got my interest. Plus, I really needed a cup of coffee, and the page said there was a Wawa nearby. And it's only 20 miles away. Sounded reasonable to me. :huh:

whoops... maybe thats not quite the first. :lol:

#24 7:40pm. I FINALLY BEAT STAYFLOOPY AND BASSOONPILOT TO A CACHE! Life is good! Came home from a miserable cache hunt that ended in failure (A B C cache, GC2CB6). After cleaning up, and warming up, I went online to record my misadventure. When hit the geocaching.com front page, what do I see, but a new cache by Marty! Decide to look at it before I log the other cache. A night time ONLY cache? YES! I had read of one in another state, so this really got my interest. Plus, I really needed a cup of coffee, and the page said there was a Wawa nearby. And it's only 20 miles away. Sounded reasonable to me. :huh:

whoops... maybe thats not quite the first. :lol:

Wow, that seems so long ago!

Still one of my all-time favorite experiences. I've been back to that cache with other people twice since, but it's not the same as doing it alone.

I believe mine was the worlds first night time cache. The Nightsea Cache . I placed it 5/15/2001.

Thank you all for the replies. The idea of the Nightsea Cache is a really good one! Just the next question came into my mind:

Which one is the first nightcache that uses reflectors and inaccurate coordinates?

I'm asking because nightcaching has a real boom during this summer in southern Germany. You'll find them on this list under Bayern (= Bavaria).

I think EraSeek's cache does that judging from the page.

I don't think so:

August 17, 2001 by Chinook (20 found)

Very clever riddle, had 2 restless little kids telling me to hurry and crack Eraseeks code. I finally figured it out and off we went. Soon I was wishing I had brought that flashlight but my Etrex came through and put me 3 feet away... my little helpers are good and know where to look!

My cache did not have reflectors. Much of it was based on spoting a lighthouse across about 4 or 5 miles of water or so, and counting it's flashes.

I've found a couple of reflector caches before but found them in the day. Because of where the caches were, I felt the area was unsafe to do at night (bum camps). So if you do place a night cache make sure it is in a safe area for people.

Yes it was a night cache, but I was unwilling to go where I figured it was unsafe at night, so I tried using a laser pointer, but that didn't work, so I just started looking for little reflectors haning in the bushes. They were small and hard to see but I managed to find them all. The cache owner got mad at me for doing it in the day. But actually it was a lot tougher.

I have a cache that requires the use of night and a flashlight. It's a multicache and pretty much requires the seeker to use a flashlight to "charge up" the glow in the dark paint I've written the coordinates for the cache.

The cache is still there with 16 total attempts with a total of 6 finds. I've had some complaints about lettering. You can read most of the digits, however the last few digits I purposely diluted the paint so it is pratically unreadable without using the cover of darkness.

The cache owner got mad at me for doing it in the day.

That is both funny and sad.

But actually it was a lot tougher.

I'll bet! I know that firetacks set into a brown tree are nearly invisible. I very much doubt that some of the firetack caches in our area could be done during the day. The distances between tacks would make the search extremely tedious.

--Marky

You can read most of the digits, however the last few digits I purposely diluted the paint so it is pratically unreadable without using the cover of darkness.

I tried to do a UV only night cache. It worked great, except for the fact that invisible UV paint fades in sunlight, and had to be refreshed every two weeks. We were doing this until for no reason, the tree the final cache was located in was unexpectedly chopped down (no warning, just one day there, the next day gone). We decided it was too much work to maintain.

Joani now has a line on some fadeproof UV paint. The drawback is that it is white during the day, which means that it needs to be painted onto a white surface to be "invisible" during the daytime.

--Marky