Legend Vs. Legend C Memory Usage

I have a question about memory usage for maps with the Legend/Legend C.

Being color, does the Legend C store the same map data as the Legend? Put another way, does the Legend non-C strip color data from the maps and thus able to store more information?

Basically, I am wondering if the memory usage from a Legend to a "C" is an apples to apples comparison...

Thanks for any information!

Also,

If I recall correctly, the older non-color Legend will only hold 8 MB of external map data (i.e. MapSource maps loaded onto the GPS), whereas the new Legend C color model will hold up to 24 MB of data. And... I don't believe that the old non-color Legend will do auto-routing either where the new Legend C will.

The new Legend C is really a COMPLETELY different beast than the old non-color version. Thus, you should really spend the time looking at what it has to offer. The best place to start is by downloading the Owner's Guide for the Legend C that Garmin has posted on their web site.

BTW, I have a brand new Legend C up for sale in the "GPS Garage Sale" section on this forum if you're interested. :huh:

As I understand it (and I'm making up 90% of this) the maps in a GPS are vector. Vector being a collection of known shapes like lines, arcs, circles, and combinsations with clearly defined locations. Thus the softare knows what the object it showing is. Vector maps take up a lot less space than Raster (for Raster think in terms of National Geographic Topo on your desktop computer).

Because the GPS knows what the map objects are, water, contour line, road, etc. The software can "Colorize" the maps without actually needing any more map memory space.

That's my SWAG but I'm sticking to it.

Edit to add: In AuctoCAD (a vector based drawing program) you draw Vector maps and define colors by layer. All lines on a "Water Layer" could be made blue. And so on.

Edited by Renegade Knight

RK's answer is pretty close to the one I'd have given.

HOWEVER, you have to be sure you're comparing apples to apples. Since Legend C autoroutes when being fed map data that supports it and Legend (legacy) does not, if you have a Mapsource mutant that suppots GPS resident mapping (i.e. CitySelect) you'd want to pay attention to that checkbox for "include turn data" to be sure you're comparing like fruits. Shooting turn data into your unit that doesn't do autorouting is wasteful, if even possible and not shooting that data into your C if you had it and wanted it probably isn't your plan.

That data (exit, speed inforormation, connecting roads, one-way data, etc.) needed to autoroute does consume a non-negative, non-zero amount of space.

The new Legend C is really a COMPLETELY different beast than the old non-color version. Thus, you should really spend the time looking at what it has to offer. The best place to start is by downloading the Owner's Guide for the Legend C that Garmin has posted on their web site.

BTW, I have a brand new Legend C up for sale in the "GPS Garage Sale" section on this forum if you're interested. :huh:

Yes, the new Legend C is quite different. I just upgraded from the blue Legend to the Legend C and it took me a while to warm up to how different they are. But I really do like the Legend C even though there are a couple of thing I miss about the blue one. After downloading and reading the manuals for both the legend C and the 60C, it is apparent that the new Legend C has been formatted in a similar way. It does have 24 Mb of memory and the audible alarms are very nice to have. The back light is totally great compared to the blue legend. The color is much better that the grey scale LCD too. I really like the multi color satellite page. I wish I would have know about this new color Legend for sale just 1 day earlier, It would have been a much easier buy than dealing with a rebate. :lol::lol::lol: