Help Me Cache Haters Are Ruining Geo Cacheing!

nick_02

here is what happned sadly

All i would i like is a way to stop thease cache haters from ruining cacheies from geocacheing.com

I think This will help out every one and this will need to happen if we dont want cache ruiners to destroy this fun sport.

also type in 85029 and you will see the defistation thease people are doing by ruining thease cachies.

they arent archived just disabled all within 2 months

I think that geocaching.com should limit caches to be seen by members only. And after you download a way point you have 30 days to report the find for the first 10 caches you find or your membership will be cancelled.

alot of us are haveing this problem

Edited by nick_02

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

nick, one good suggestion was to make your caches "Members Only" caches. Unfortunately you have to become a Premium Member to do that. I'm not sure if you can get the $30.00 to do that (a one year Premium Membership cost $30.00). You can do it for $3.00 a month, but if you slip out of premium member status you will not be able to see your own caches. You can do this with paypal, but here again I'm not sure if your parents would allow you to do that. If you do become a Premium Member you can make your caches invisible to those that are not Premium Members. That is your best defense at this point.

The only other thing you could do is make them micro caches with only a logbook and maybe these people will get bored. One thing -- don't give in. Resist the urge to post the logs you have. They know they are getting to you that way and they win. Don't be upset in the logs and just replace the caches.

I hope this helps.

I never quoted a movie or anything I was just writeing if I ffended anyone I am sorry. Now can we discuss about this topic? I think it is a serious matter.

Could you clue me into the topic please?? (cache haters I got, but what do you want? Why it happens, whos doing it, how to find out/stop it? something else?)

Hi Nick,

I am not clear if your caches were targeted by people who found them through the web site or whether you had a series of unfortunate events at various caches where they got pludered by non-cachers for whatever reason. Either way, I feel for you. Having caches go missing is always a bummer! :mad:

If it is just non-cachers (likely kids or teens, but who knows?) coming across the caches, making caches members only will not fix the problem. The best thing there is to try for the least conspicous hides as possible.

If the caches are being targeted, you can make your caches members only if you are a premium member. That can help. Also, cache theives tend to thrive on attention, so replacing the cache or archiving it with no real explanation about the theft is good because it deprives them of the attention they seek. Hopefully they will then get bored over time and go away.

The site has pledged to keep caching in general free, so making all caches members only is not a viable option. I suppose an argument can be made that people should have to register to see cache pages and that might make them think twice before stealing caches because they could possibly be tracked through page views. But I am no computer expert (just the opposite, I am a computer idiot) so I don't know if that is feasible, desirable, affordable etc. I also think that non-members being able to see cache pages helps increase the interest in the game, so shutting that off could have unwanted effects.

Regardless, these things happen. Fortunately if it is just a string of non-cachers, aiming for harder hides can help. Plus how long can such bad luck last anyway? If it is a targeting thief, then lessening attention and waiting them out can hopefully help.

Best of luck to you. I know it is annoying, but it also unfortunately is part of what can happen in the game. :lol:

nick, one good suggestion was to make your caches "Members Only" caches. Unfortunately you have to become a Premium Member to do that. I'm not sure if you can get the $30.00 to do that (a one year Premium Membership cost $30.00). You can do it for $3.00 a month, but if you slip out of premium member status you will not be able to see your own caches. You can do this with paypal, but here again I'm not sure if your parents would allow you to do that. If you do become a Premium Member you can make your caches invisible to those that are not Premium Members. That is your best defense at this point.

The only other thing you could do is make them micro caches with only a logbook and maybe these people will get bored. One thing -- don't give in. Resist the urge to post the logs you have. They know they are getting to you that way and they win. Don't be upset in the logs and just replace the caches.

I hope this helps.

I'am now going to put up micro cache's. I dont care if thay get stolen I have 1,000's of film containers.

And for that premium membership. I think I'll join that If I get relly into this sport this winter "in AZ it it too hot to geocaching in the summer".

As for the $30.00 fee thats not a prob because I mow lawns and can easly afford that."thats how I bought my gps lol"

And I would like to thank you for helping me with this problem.

happy caching :mad:

I think that geocaching.com should limit caches to be seen by members only. And after you download a way point you have 30 days to report the find for the first 10 caches you find or your membership will be cancelled.

I would have been cancelled out many times over by this suggestion before I found my first 10 caches.

This is a knee jerk reaction of a suggestion and affects everybody good and bad. I download many waypoints all the time to see what is in an area that I will be working in. That's because I'm a geocacher of opportunity. So now you're going to require people to put useless logs on a cache just because a waypoint was downloaded to keep their membership from being cancelled out?

NOTE - September 24 by TotemLake(3 found)

Didn't go looking for this cache, but not wanting my membership cancelled I'm posting this log just because I downloaded the waypoint.

Yah - not gonna happen. I understand your anger over having several caches muggled, but let's keep the ideas sensible and within logistical reason.

The above suggestion of making your caches MOC is one such sensible idea. Minimize the impact to the many by not punishing the entire geocaching community over one or two people targeting your caches.

In the meantime, take it as a challenge and turn a bad thing into learning how to be more creative with hiding your caches. I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my one and only hide.

Edited by TotemLake
"Members Only" caches. Unfortunately you have to become a Premium Member to do that.

Dang, I didn't think about that

You must have skipped over my first five words...

nick, one good suggestion was <snip>

I was talking about your post. I just expanded on it so he would know exactly what you meant. In his logs on one of the cache pages he says he is 13. He may not know about Premium Memberships and exactly what they are.

Hi nick_02,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. A friend of mine had four or five go missing all within about two weeks last year. It really stinks!

The suggestions you've been given so far, members only caches, and micros, are good ones. Do you think it's possible that muggles have found your caches, as opposed to anyone who logs on to this site? If so, there's some other things you might try:

1. Make your cache really difficult to find, camo it very well so it is more or less invisible.

2. Place the cache somewhere where only geocachers are likely to go. The more forbidding the terrain, the more likely it is to survive. (It won't be found as often, either, which is a definite downside to this.) Still, some people enjoy this type of challenge, and almost nobody steals one from out of the thorns. Here's an example:

Benchmark's Big Bad Bushwhack

Actually, it's not all that big and it's not really that bad, but it is kind of a hellhole. (But a fun hellhole, really, I swear!)

3. Make people solve some type of puzzle to find the correct coords to your cache. If another cacher is stealing your caches, I think it's likely they would blow these off. If you have someone who's both brainy AND mean, well, then I guess it won't help.

Hope you have much better luck.

nick, one good suggestion was to make your caches "Members Only" caches.  Unfortunately you have to become a Premium Member to do that.  I'm not sure if you can get the $30.00 to do that (a one year Premium Membership cost $30.00).  You can do it for $3.00 a month, but if you slip out of premium member status you will not be able to see your own caches.  You can do this with paypal, but here again I'm not sure if your parents would allow you to do that.  If you do become a Premium Member you can make your caches invisible to those that are not Premium Members.  That is your best defense at this point. 

The only other thing you could do is make them micro caches with only a logbook and maybe these people will get bored.  One thing -- don't give in.  Resist the urge to post the logs you have.  They know they are getting to you that way and they win.  Don't be upset in the logs and just replace the caches.

I hope this helps.

I'am now going to put up micro cache's. I dont care if thay get stolen I have 1,000's of film containers.

And for that premium membership. I think I'll join that If I get relly into this sport this winter "in AZ it it too hot to geocaching in the summer".

As for the $30.00 fee thats not a prob because I mow lawns and can easly afford that."thats how I bought my gps lol"

happy caching :huh:

Good attitude nick! Don't show that they are getting to you and you will be the winner in this. Just replace them and post a simple log on your cache like "wow, my cache is gone again but I replaced it -- have fun cachers!"

Edited by mtn-man
nick, one good suggestion was to make your caches "Members Only" caches.  Unfortunately you have to become a Premium Member to do that.  I'm not sure if you can get the $30.00 to do that (a one year Premium Membership cost $30.00).  You can do it for $3.00 a month, but if you slip out of premium member status you will not be able to see your own caches.  You can do this with paypal, but here again I'm not sure if your parents would allow you to do that.  If you do become a Premium Member you can make your caches invisible to those that are not Premium Members.  That is your best defense at this point. 

The only other thing you could do is make them micro caches with only a logbook and maybe these people will get bored.  One thing -- don't give in.  Resist the urge to post the logs you have.  They know they are getting to you that way and they win.  Don't be upset in the logs and just replace the caches.

I hope this helps.

happy caching :lol:

Good attitude nick! Don't show that they are getting to you and you will be the winner in this. Just replace them and post a simple log on your cache like "wow, my cache is gone again but I replaced it -- have fun cachers!"

thats a good idea to put in that

"wow, my cache is gone again but I replaced it -- have fun cachers" log i'll go delete my old depressing one and put something like that in.

after all I dont want to be a strong sad :huh:

Someone in our area had some fun stealing caches in late 2003 and early 2004. They got all of mine within about a weeks time in February. They also grabbed all the hidden caches of another cacher plus a few random caches.

I opted to take few months off from hiding caches. I'm working on a couple of new caches that I'll probably post over the next 2-3 weeks. We'll see how long these will last.

Don't worry about it much. If it's someone looking to ruin your day, they will get bored with the activity and go away.

also... to reiterate what I believe was said, try to be discreet. Don't be too obvious when placing or checking your caches.

A good example:

I found one placed in the Special Operations Museum, but it was in no way off the beaten path. It was actually exciting, because I had to find it, sign it (microcache), and replace it, all in a very public setting, and without attracting attention.

It was like being in a spy movie ;-)

First of all let me say I'm sorry to see your caches vandalized, possibly they were just a little to easy or maybe someone is mad at you maybe a friend.

Secondly your note for washed out on sep. 19 worries me I dont know how long you've lived in the desert, but any time there are thunder storms in the area, or even in the mountains FOR GODS SAKE STAY OUT OF THE WASHES. a thunder storm can be miles away, and not even raining where you are and still flood the washes as you almost found out, you were lucky.

I hope you have better luck on your replacements :huh:

Ya I was lucky but it didnt rain the whole day so I went out.

I like to go to the wash after it rains and watch all the water go by.

then on the 2nd day the wash only has like 5 in of water so I take my dog out to play. thats alaways fun!

As for freinds stealing my cache's I dont think 1 of them knows how to turn on a computer. let alone go buy a gps and go caching lol.

I was thinking of a idea for a new cache i'll put it on a phone pole It will have a lock on it and i'll put those lock #'s on the site. but it will be locked to the pole with tiedowns. and it will look like a sprinkler box. So no one will take it. :huh:

Hey Nick, I remember finding all four of your caches back in June. Bummer to see them disappear. I loved "Straight Blade Screwdriver."

A few thoughts to maybe put at ease the conspiracy theories.

Ally Cats--that was the one in the alley, behind several peoples' yards. I've seen my fair share of caches right behind someone's house, in spots the local residents probably travel frequently...caches in those areas, especially larger ones (like yours was) are most likely to disappear. Perhaps people keep coming across it, or you have a neighbor who just doesn't like people cruising through the alley.

Where Are The Kids--I agree with other cache logs that the cache was quite visible. In a park, where people of all ages are going to be climbing on the equipment, a cache that's not well-concealed might not last too long in a place like that.

Washed Out--well, that's far too often what happens to a cache placed in a wash when it rains.

It's always a shame to see a good cache like yours disappear...and even more aggravating when several of them disappear so close together. I hope your replacements fare better, and don't let them get you down. I've seen some of my own favorite cache hides stolen, vandalized, or otherwise mysteriously disappear. It's an unfortunate part of the game; you just have to keep plugging on. :huh:

Edited by Team PerkyPerks

OK, I'm sure I will get flamed for say this but.......

HIDE BETTER CACHES!

I'm looking at the logs on all 3 caches, and I seriously doubt any cacher is stealing them.

Ally Cats sounds like it's in the ally behind your house. Your cache description warns not to go at night because it will freak out the neighbors, and also that the neighbor's dogs will probably bark at you. Many of the finders note the dogs barked the whole time they were there. Others noted the cache at one point (looks like you fixed that) was very easy to see and out in the open. Once someone found it 300ft from where it belongs, so it seems like it's been found by non-cachers before. I know if people were searching around the ally behind my house all the time, exciting my dogs, I would investigate and possibly remove the cache that was causing the problems if I found it.

Washed Out seems to be in an urban wash behind an elementary school. According to your own log:

Immidetly I went asking around the negiborhood if anyone found a ammo box. But, no one saw it.

I Left a note where the cache was just in case some 1 came back to put it back.

I think one of the kids comeing home from school found it

took the ammo box and the good tradeing items then they dumped the rest.

And that's probably exactly what happened.

Where Are The Kids? Another urban wash behind a Home Depot. I think the logs speak for themselves on this one:

I worry about the long term on this one. It is too exposed.

We felt this one is a little exposed but could not think of any better way to keep it out of sight. Hope it lasts.

It is very exposed, as somebody has cut the weeds. I hope it lasts longer than “The Quarterback Sneak” did.

Even in the dark I think this cannister is much to obvious and don't think it will last long unless some decent camo is added. IMHO.

I agree that this is way too obvious and susceptible to plunder unless camo is added and/or cache is moved

However, this one is too obvious and probably won't last long at this location. I recommend moving it to a location where it will be less likely to be found accidentally

it might not last in the cooler weather

I agree with previous finders that the cache container, as is, will not survive once the kids return

I am wondering about the Cache Location.. Pretty obvious..

Cache is in plain sight

Found cache on the ground in the open at coords

After that the cache has nothing but DNFs. For 4 months almost every person warned you that this cache was in danger of being stolen, and you do nothing. Then when it's finally missing you get mad?

Yea, it sucks to lose a cache, and yeah, I do understand you are 13 and don't drive or have a lot of money to spend, but if you really want your caches to last, you need to put them in places non-cachers are not going to find them.

[edit: the @#$ Triclops types faster then me! :huh:]

Edited by Mopar

Yep Nick! That is the way to go. Don't give them attention and keep your good attitude. I know it can be annoying to have caches taken, but the best thing to thwart the takers is to brush it off and keep enjoying caching! If they can't get you down then they don't win! As long as you love the game, even in adversity, you win! :huh:

You can do it for $3.00 a month, but if you slip out of premium member status you will not be able to see your own caches.

In the GC.com Website Forum, hedberg just asked about this and it was answered that if your cache is "premium members only" and you do not renew your membership, then you are still able to access your cache as a "premium members only" page, because it is still your cache to edit, etc.

Sorry, too lazy to get the Markwell right now, but it should be floating in one of the top 20 topics in the GC.com Website Forum.

when myally cats cache was stolen I glued up a lot of grass and stuff on it it was relly hidden and great! But people forgot to put it back right and the camo started falling off so that was bad.

As for MY stright blade screwdriver I think some 1 didnt put it back right so a person grabbed it and threw it away. "seeing that it was fake"

That one looked like a 90o bend for electrical wire.

Ya I was lucky but it didnt rain the whole day so I went out.

I like to go to the wash after it rains and watch all the water go by.

then on the 2nd day the wash only has like 5 in of water so I take my dog out to play. thats alaways fun!

As for freinds stealing my cache's I dont think 1 of them knows how to turn on a computer. let alone go buy a gps and go caching lol.

I was thinking of a idea for a new cache i'll put it on a phone pole It will have a lock on it and i'll put those lock #'s on the site. but it will be locked to the pole with tiedowns. and it will look like a sprinkler box. So no one will take it. :huh:

They don't have to have a gps. You say right in your log that the cache is right behind your house. That's probably not a good idea anyway. Good luck!

Nick,

I've been thinking about this one since yesterday. Let me take a stab at a possibility.

If you have taken even one or two of your friends with you to see your caches, that is a likely source of the problem. Having spent a lot of time with teens, I can tell you that they HAVE TO tell each other stuff...NO secrets. It get out! If just one "friend" has seen a cache, then others will know...and if there's one who doesn't like you, then you have a problem.

So, I made this rule for me around here. I take teenagers, and other children out caching with me, but I never take them to a close cache. If they drive, I stay farther away, so they won't just be hangin' out in the area, and be bored, and decide to trash a cache. They would have to make a special trip out of the area to do it. Most of the time they won't make the effort for that. My little micro in the city park I would NEVER show to a local kid, because sometime they would show someone else. :lol::huh:

Thx for all the help guys!

Now I realize that if you locked up the site to members only this may stop the growth of the sport.

And I realize that is not up to my decision just because I got 3 caches stolen in a row.

I don't think membership should be required, but I think that you should have to log onto to site to see the cache pages, or at least the coordinates. This would make it possible for there to be an audit trail, which can help identify cache thieves.

I don't think membership should be required, but I think that you should have to log onto to site to see the cache pages, or at least the coordinates. This would make it possible for there to be an audit trail, which can help identify cache thieves.

Except that I can run a PQ for the area, and never actually view the cache page.

And no offense to Crash331, but how long would it take the cops to stop laughing if you tried to press charges for someone trashing a $5 ammo can and $10 worth of McToys? :rolleyes:

I was thinking of a idea for a new cache i'll put it on a phone pole It will have a lock on it and i'll put those lock #'s on the site. but it will be locked to the pole with tiedowns. and it will look like a sprinkler box. So no one will take it. :rolleyes:

Nick,

Take a look at this cache by Criminal. Awsome idea, and pretty hard to muggle. The 3 digit combo was hinted at on the cache page, but you could make someone get it from an address or something at different coordinates.