Why list cache contents

erik88l-r

I'm not a newbie, having hidden and found a fair number of caches, but there's one thing I've always wondered:

Why list the initial cache contents? Is it to lure seekers to the cache by reassuring them that there are no Happy Meal toys? Is it to avoid liability if someone gets hurt by something found in a cache?

It seems kind of goofy since the contents will change after the first finder and every subsequent finder.

I've done a token search of the forums for an answer to this - in vain - and would be interested in reading why cache hiders list their cache nuggets.

Probably you'll get mixed responses ... but I've wondered that myself ... Don't see a problem doing it ... does make it a bit interesting say if you're oh, the 12th finder and see how much it's changed. I've personally never struck out after a cache just because of the contents ... as a matter of fact I hardly ever take anything ...

To each there own ... I've had people photo the contents of my caches when they find them ... that's kind of helpful actually ... I can better schedule my maint. trips to the caches. Either but a visit off if it looks good or go earlier if it's starting to slide down hill.

348_2702.gif

erik ive wondered that too, the best reason i could come up with was to show what the value of items in the cache are, that way you dont show up with a free mctoy and theres only $5 items in the cache.

also i noticed some ppl go back and get the cache and compare it the orginal contents, (they want to study how the contents change??)

whack.gif

I like to read that part of the cache page to see how much the contents have changed since it was originally placed.

It doesn't affect if I go to a cache or not, just another interesting aspect of the game.

Its kind of like a social experiment. You wonder why some items stay in the cache for months and others only one day.

==Case

About listing cache contents....

• I would agree that for a themed cache it would make sense to help maintain the theme
  • I think it might be nice to show a special prize for the first finder
  • But in most cases it just seems like people do it because they've seen others do it
  • I certainly don't begrudge anyone who wishes to do so....
  • But for the poor snooks who have to do the HTML editing before posting caches....
  • It's a bunch of work!

~erik~ (who can't stop thinking in bulleted lists)

I am one who posts initial contents of all my caches. I do it for the same reason I also try and post some tidbits about the area, to make the page more interesting. I am sure to do the HTML myself, (except for my first cache, which is how I learned that HTML is not automaticly formated.) I know basic HTML, so I use it to set the page up to look how I want.

I like to see what others have placed in their caches as well, even in ones that are no where near me, it just makes it more interesting. I also like it when people log what they took and what they left as well.

I ask on my cache page, as well as in my log, that people log what they took, and what they left (though not everyone does, even though the request is right there) And as part of that request, I start it off by logging what I left to begin with.

I can't imagine that anyone would go searching for one of my average caches just because of something they saw was originally placed in it, though later this summer I plan on doing one that is a bit harder to find, and will require some work, and that one will have stuff in it that may well be motivation to go to the extra work. (stuff like new FRS radios, nice compass', a DVD, maybe a new CD or two) But all of my caches right now just have things like new harmonicas, new decks of themed playing cards, inexpensive new compass', and the such.

Mostly, I just want to make the page more than a "Here it is now go get it" page, I also like to post pictures, when I get around to taking them.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Some caches like The Hall of Justice are theme content caches. In this instance I could see listing the original contents.

Of the six caches I've placed, the only one I listed (a sampling of) the original contents of was my Marshall Arts & Cache. And it was just as Markwell said...to help demonstrate the theme and to give people an idea of what kinds of trade items to bring.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Here's a thought starter (or pot stirrer): Maybe listing cache contents is a geographic or cultural thing.

Of the last 25 traditional caches posted in California 16 listed cache contents, 9 did not.

Of the last 25 caches I've found in Georgia (excepting microcaches) 11 listed cache contents, 14 did not.

not statistically meaningful, but perhaps interesting. ~erik~

I think there was some mention of it on the "how to place a cache" page and I got in the habit from there. I often leave a few collectible geo-tiles in a new cache, and that helps the people rushing to find it first know if it's one they have already or a new one in the series. icon_smile.gif

I think there was some mention of it on the "how to place a cache" page and I got in the habit from there. I often leave a few collectible geo-tiles in a new cache, and that helps the people rushing to find it first know if it's one they have already or a new one in the series. icon_smile.gif

I agree that there is no reason not to, but there'd also be no reason not to add "Have a nice day" at the base of each posting either.

The only reason I raised the question originally is curiousity after adding

• , and

to dozens of submissions daily as an admin lackey to create the bulleted lists.

I have no problem with it at all, though it does slow the process down a bit. Having to put a

paragraph break before "Have a nice day" on each posting would get old though. Maybe some who read this thread will remember the simple HTML formatting above and speed up the process. icon_smile.gif

Have a nice day!

~erik~

I agree that there is no reason not to, but there'd also be no reason not to add "Have a nice day" at the base of each posting either.

The only reason I raised the question originally is curiousity after adding

• , and

I have no problem with it at all, though it does slow the process down a bit. Having to put a

paragraph break before "Have a nice day" on each posting would get old though. Maybe some who read this thread will remember the simple HTML formatting above and speed up the process. icon_smile.gif

Have a nice day!

~erik~

So the issue wasn't really a question of "why do people include list of contents" but "why do I have to spend so much time fixing peoples' HTML?"

I guess the answer to that is "because you choose to."

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 05, 2002 at 07:37 AM.]

Good point, but not quite right. The question was posed because I was curious. I've put out some 18 or 20 caches and never listed the contents, wondered why others did.

The question did come up in my mind as I was doing the HTML editing for others - so you were on the right track there. But now that you mention it, if a few more can learn to do their own HTML editing it would make what I choose to do more efficient and caches could get posted sooner. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

Good point, but not quite right. The question was posed because I was curious. I've put out some 18 or 20 caches and never listed the contents, wondered why others did.

The question did come up in my mind as I was doing the HTML editing for others - so you were on the right track there. But now that you mention it, if a few more can learn to do their own HTML editing it would make what I choose to do more efficient and caches could get posted sooner. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

i say... why not? i do it so people know what to expect. most of my caches are micro caches so its important that you know what to bring. if you keep your caches up to date then why not??

i'm gonna keep listing mine that way.

urbo icon_biggrin.gif

i say... why not? i do it so people know what to expect. most of my caches are micro caches so its important that you know what to bring. if you keep your caches up to date then why not??

i'm gonna keep listing mine that way.

urbo icon_biggrin.gif

I listed a new cache this past weekend, and noticed that the 'Long Description' field had the following description: "Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc. You can be as brief or as detailed as you like."

I'm guessing that many people are merely following the listed suggestion. icon_rolleyes.gif

I listed a new cache this past weekend, and noticed that the 'Long Description' field had the following description: "Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc. You can be as brief or as detailed as you like."

I'm guessing that many people are merely following the listed suggestion. icon_rolleyes.gif

I've found people in general DO follow the suggestions on the cache submission page. The bit at the end about how to add a travel bug to a newly submitted cache was added a week ago by Jeremy and the number of people who've had to be told how in a follow-up e-mail has dropped markedly. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

I've found people in general DO follow the suggestions on the cache submission page. The bit at the end about how to add a travel bug to a newly submitted cache was added a week ago by Jeremy and the number of people who've had to be told how in a follow-up e-mail has dropped markedly. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by erik:The only reason I raised the question originally is curiousity after adding
  • , and

Have a nice day!

~erik~

Why exactly do the lackeys feel a need to turn it into a bulleted list? The first time I listed contents, I just put commas between them. For some reason, the Geolluminati changed it to a bulleted list.

I would prefer that contents were NOT converted to lists because it often pushes the hint down to a second page on a printout of the cache sheet. It is just a waste of paper and then I have to carry two sheets of paper, one of which I invaribly lose.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by erik:The only reason I raised the question originally is curiousity after adding
  • , and

Have a nice day!

~erik~

Why exactly do the lackeys feel a need to turn it into a bulleted list? The first time I listed contents, I just put commas between them. For some reason, the Geolluminati changed it to a bulleted list.

I would prefer that contents were NOT converted to lists because it often pushes the hint down to a second page on a printout of the cache sheet. It is just a waste of paper and then I have to carry two sheets of paper, one of which I invaribly lose.

rdw

Geolluminati. I like that. It has a classier sound than "lackey".

I see caches submitted with contents seperated by commas. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to make a bulleted list, but maybe others would on a slow day (NOT!)

Seriously, I hadn't thought of the paper waste aspect. Adding the cache contents as an "other" log would allow printing the cache page w/o logs to omit that list - and save paper. Sounds good to me, but I'm only a lackey. icon_wink.gif

~erik~

Geolluminati. I like that. It has a classier sound than "lackey".

I see caches submitted with contents seperated by commas. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to make a bulleted list, but maybe others would on a slow day (NOT!)

Seriously, I hadn't thought of the paper waste aspect. Adding the cache contents as an "other" log would allow printing the cache page w/o logs to omit that list - and save paper. Sounds good to me, but I'm only a lackey. icon_wink.gif

~erik~

When I fist started placing caches I used to list the items the cache started with but I think people not really care that much as long as it is not junk.The last time I listed contents was a temp.cache with 5 solid siler coins in it,that cache was gone quick. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

When I fist started placing caches I used to list the items the cache started with but I think people not really care that much as long as it is not junk.The last time I listed contents was a temp.cache with 5 solid siler coins in it,that cache was gone quick. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.