Ticks And The Pet Store

Preesi

your like only shows that one should not use a flea collar on your skin (which common sense I think should show any way).

The OP said he put them around his wrists and ankles -I would assume that one would do so on the OUTSIDE of ones clothes - not directly on the skin. Even a cat or dog has a big fat layer of fur to insulate them from the chemicals of the collar.

your like only shows that one should not use a flea collar on your skin (which common sense I think should show any way).

The OP said he put them around his wrists and ankles -I would assume that one would do so on the OUTSIDE of ones clothes - not directly on the skin. Even a cat or dog has a big fat layer of fur to insulate them from the chemicals of the collar.

Read it again.

Wearing the collars over clothes, as some servicemembers do, doesn’t help much, the defense officials said.

“Even if you wear [a collar] over your clothes, sweat can draw [the pesticides] right through,” Kukral said.

The final nail in the coffin for the collars is that their effectiveness on people “is an old wives’ tale,” Gibson said.

“They don’t even work,” Kukral said.

The collars might keep fleas away from the few inches of skin immediately surrounding the item, but the bugs just take a hike and end up somewhere else on the trooper’s body.

A trick I learned from hikers in the Adirondac Mts. in upstate NY is to stuff Bounce dryer sheets into your sleeves, socks, and pockets. They seem to have the same effect as flea colars without the dangerous chemicals. I don't know why this works or if it has ever been scientifically proven, but since I've been doing this I have never been bothered by ticks, black flys, or mosquitos.

Yeah like over your socks, attatched to your hat or belt loops, etc..

BTW- im a she!

:mad:

The OP said he put them around his wrists and ankles -I would assume that one would do so on the OUTSIDE of ones clothes - not directly on the skin.  Even a cat or dog has a big fat layer of fur to insulate them from the chemicals of the collar.

Yeah like over your socks, attatched to your hat or belt loops, etc..

BTW- im a she!

:huh:

But they still won't work, so whats the point? Why not just use repellents approved for human use?

From the AirForce

From the Army

From the Defense Department

From Science Daily

Edited by briansnat

One (slightly off topic) thing that I don’t understand is that the article pater47 linked to says humans sweat, causing concentrated amounts of pesticide to reach the skin. While it’s true that dogs and cats don’t sweat, it’s not true that they (dogs, especially) don’t ever get wet! Wouldn’t they receive a similar concentrated dose of pesticide after coming in from the rain?

One (slightly off topic) thing that I don’t understand is that the article pater47 linked to says humans sweat, causing concentrated amounts of pesticide to reach the skin. While it’s true that dogs and cats don’t sweat, it’s not true that they (dogs, especially) don’t ever get wet! Wouldn’t they receive a similar concentrated dose of pesticide after coming in from the rain?

I believe thats because the rain (heavy rain) will wash it off. But I dont know about light rain.

I believe thats because the rain (heavy rain) will wash it off. But I dont know about light rain.

What happens when the collar sits for a couple of hours in water-logged fur, though?